Home General Discussion
Options

next step

Ok guys my next step I wish to take in my great journey to cigar mastery is equipment. I would like to have a Humidor so that I can have cigars on hand at all times. So here is what I was wondering. I want to order a humidor, a cutter, and a lighter all from our buddies here at ccom. If you guys could suggest any of these three what would they be? And with the items you list please state why.

Comments

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Here are my suggestions and reasoning.

Lighter - Xikar Executive because it is a great lighter for the price. You are not paying for a name like Prometheus and if you eventually have any probs with it, you won't mid buying another. You can get 3 for the price of some others.

Cutter - If money isn't a stipulation then I would go with one of the Xikar Xi cutters. They perform wonderfully and are stylish as well. If cost is a concern, then I would get the cigar.com double guillotine. I got one of these last year with a one day deal special and it hasn't failed me yet. Also, it can be disassembled so that the blades can be sharpened when it becomes necessary.

Humidor - No suggestion here, all of them from cigar.com are decent. Here you just have to consider what style you want, how many sticks you want it to hold, and what price you can afford. A suggestion though, go at least twice as big as what you think you need.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    rdnstn:

Lighter - Xikar Executive because it is a great lighter for the price. You are not paying for a name like Prometheus and if you eventually have any probs with it, you won't mid buying another. You can get 3 for the price of some others.

Cutter - If money isn't a stipulation then I would go with one of the Xikar Xi cutters. They perform wonderfully and are stylish as well. If cost is a concern, then I would get the cigar.com double guillotine. I got one of these last year with a one day deal special and it hasn't failed me yet. Also, it can be disassembled so that the blades can be sharpened when it becomes necessary.

Humidor - No suggestion here, all of them from cigar.com are decent. Here you just have to consider what style you want, how many sticks you want it to hold, and what price you can afford. A suggestion though, go at least twice as big as what you think you need.
    Good suggestions.

As far as the humidor goes, take a look at what you think will be the biggest one you need. Then double its capacity and look at those instead.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    brc81:
    As far as the humidor goes, take a look at what you think will be the biggest one you need. Then double its capacity and look at those instead.
    This is more true than you know.

As far as cutter and lighter, this is a hell of deal here:

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-FBAASST1

And really take brc's advice, whatever count humi you are thinking of getting, double it and look at those. I started off with a 50-75 and a 20, and in less than a two month span, I had to buy another 150 count and 40 count. And now I am storing several sticks in a tupperdor.
  • Options
    Ok so double the size. Some other questions, Im assuming what the humi is made out of dosnt really matter. I keep seeing like elm, cherry, and whatnot. Does that matter? And if you had to pick a brand,  what brand would it be. I mean I dont know, does the quality of the humidor matte? I was planning on spending the most money on the humidor, I would rather buy quality now then have to purchase another one later because my first one wasnt enough or didnt hold up.
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    The exterior doesn't matter as long as it's lined with spanish cedar. I bought a rather expensive one about 12 years ago that has held up well. A few months ago, I bought an inexpensive one that works equally well and seems like it will last, too. Bottom line, get what you like (with extra capacity of course) because the important thing is that it store your smokes properly. After that, you're paying more for a nice piece of furniture or heirloom that you can pass down, but I doubt that you'll gain any other benefit by spending more money unless of course you take the extra funds and go with way more capacity. And don't forget to get a digital hygrometer. Just my opinion, hope it helps some.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, I'd go along with what they're all saying about the extra sized humi. I was going for a 50, bought a 150, and it's good since I've got 50 or so cigars as of tomorrow. I would invest in some distilled water and some new sponges to help season the humi faster. A digital hydrometer, a few extra humidification devices will certainly be money better spent then adding more money for a glass top or better exteriors.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    brc81:
    rdnstn:

Good suggestions.

perfect
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I use a xikar executive. Great little piece, hasnt let me down yet, and even if it ever does...lifetime warranty. Xikar is the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    Here's what you do. Buy a large humidor and a good cutter, and make sure you spend $100 and get the free cigar.com lighter. I got mine in and I'm seriously impressed! So far it's outperformed my Xikar.
  • Options
    Marshallrocks80:
    Here's what you do. Buy a large humidor and a good cutter, and make sure you spend $100 and get the free cigar.com lighter. I got mine in and I'm seriously impressed! So far it's outperformed my Xikar.
    i call shenanigans!

(no offense ccom)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Marshallrocks80:
    i call shenanigans!

(no offense ccom)
    yeah, twosees! lol.. I liked the free lighter but I like my Xikar and I can't say that it will last longer than the Xikar. Though you never know...
  • Options
    benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    The Xikar Xi3 STK in Titanium finish is by far the best Xikar cutter I have used. The one with Mammoth bone is cute but I am always scared that I (or someone I lend it to) will damage the ivory. The Titanium one is heavy in the hand and doesn't have that rather silly petrol-on-water look that the one cigar.com sell exhibits (Spectra!). Lighter? Don't be silly. Cut yourself spills and do it the proper way. I *only* light my cigars using a cedar spill. If you must use a lighter then I have found that the jet flame ones are reasonably useful. The brand is almost irrelevant - I have used one that cost $5 and one that cost $50 - there is little difference - the difference is in the cigar, not the lighting implement!
  • Options
    benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Humidor: My view is that a humidor should be a functional device primarily and a cosmetic one secondarily, therefore a well maintained coolerdore (of which I have four dotted between my houses in London and New York) works extremely well. They are concealed in vintage medical cabinets (which are excellent storage items). If you wish to display your humidor then one made from indian rosewood, bubinga or massacar ebony will look extremely beautiful. A cheap, poorly constructed humidor is useless - again, function over form for this particular aspect of cigar enjoyment is my philosophy.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    Marshallrocks80:
    i call shenanigans!

(no offense ccom)

yeah, twosees! lol.. I liked the free lighter but I like my Xikar and I can't say that it will last longer than the Xikar. Though you never know...

I must have a bad lighter then. My xikar will burn for about three seconds and then go out, no matter how much or little fuel is in it. And I bought the good fuel too! I haven't had that problem with the freebie lighter.
  • Options
    Marshallrocks80:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    Marshallrocks80:
    i call shenanigans!

(no offense ccom)
    I must have a bad lighter then. My xikar will burn for about three seconds and then go out, no matter how much or little fuel is in it. And I bought the good fuel too! I haven't had that problem with the freebie lighter.
    call up Xikar and ask them what they do. they back all of their products with a lifetime warranty
  • Options
    That is a great idea!!! Thanks, kuzi. I'll take care of that first thing in the a.m. I didn't even think about the lifetime warranty.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Marshallrocks80:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    Marshallrocks80:
    i call shenanigans!

(no offense ccom)
    call up Xikar and ask them what they do. they back all of their products with a lifetime warranty
    Xikar's warrenty is geat! I had one lighter that would basically stop working halfway through the fuel load until I bled it a little and then it worked fine. I also had a rosewood cutter that feel apart and when I sent those and a couple lighters back they replaced them at no charge or questions asked. As long as you register on their website they'll do all this. CK