Home Cigar 101
Options

Humiglue

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I finally broke down and did it. I figured I would need a place to age plenty cigars if I get into this roll your own project. So I scored a 100 cigar humidor from the scratch and dent at cheap humidors. The one with the tobacco leaf inlaid on the top. They had 14 of this style in their reject pile. Turns out, the whole box is in perfect condition; it's just that the two sided tape which is supposed to attach the hygrometer and the humidifier does not. The stickum isn't sticky. That must be why there are 14 rejects in the pile. That and the fact there were a couple dozen loose black beads in there.

Their idea was as follows: Attach a metal plate to the box lid with two sided tape; attach a magnet to the back side of the hydrometer with the same; then the magnet attaches the hydrometer to the plate. Two sided tape was already attached to magnet and plate. Just needed to stick plate and magnet in place. So I peeled the other release paper off and discovered the other side of their two side is dried up.

No prob. I've got a roll of such tape in the garage. Scrape off theirs, stick on mine, stick it in the box, good to go. I thought. Alas, the durn stuff came right off the plate this time. Doesn't want to adhere where the Chinese two sided dried up stuff used to be.

So I am looking for glue alternatives. What kind of glue can I use on cedar that won't stink up the sticks? I was thinking about gorilla glue. That has to be water activated; but I think it dries pretty stinkless. Any BOTLs ever used glue inside a humidor? What sticks to that cedar and won't stink?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wont elmers wood glue work? i cant remember if it works in moist conditions or not.

maybe someone who knows more about working with wood than i do should chime in.
  • Options
    Got to glue to metal to wood. Elmers not real good for metal. No practical way to clamp inside the box. Elmers needs clamped.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've used craft glue to adhere the metal strip to the wood. It's some kind of scrapbooking glue I think. In any event, so far it works great and there was no odor that I detected. I can find out what exactly it is if you're interested in going that route.
  • Options
    there is some stuff that i used to use a long time ago called "Zap-a-Gap"
    the stuff sets in a minute or so and it will adhere smooth metal to smooth glass. the stuff is crazy. i do not believe it smells once set. before then... it stinks.
    the one big issue is that if you mess up there is no fixing it. its nasty stuff. use with caution.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Let the humidification system sit in the bottom of the humidor, as humidity rises.

Just pay your hygro on top of the sticks on top.

Problems solved, or am I missing something here?

Thats a REALLY nice humidor BTW! Got one for kuzi for his millionth post last year, and its really very sexy!

• Options
    The Sniper:
    Let the humidification system sit in the bottom of the humidor, as humidity rises.

Just pay your hygro on top of the sticks on top.

Problems solved, or am I missing something here?

Thats a REALLY nice humidor BTW! Got one for kuzi for his millionth post last year, and its really very sexy!

yeah it is. my wife thinks im cheating on her with it.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    kuzi16:
    there is some stuff that i used to use a long time ago called "Zap-a-Gap"
    the stuff sets in a minute or so and it will adhere smooth metal to smooth glass. the stuff is crazy. i do not believe it smells once set. before then... it stinks.
    the one big issue is that if you mess up there is no fixing it. its nasty stuff. use with caution.
    So I did some gluing in my humidor and maybe it was a tad amateur but I used superglue and it worked fine.

I attached a large humidifier, tossed the foam and filled with beads, to the underside of the pull out draw of my humi. So the superglue attached the smooth metal to the wood no problem.

If you want to see how it turned out, Check out the show us your stash thread, or whatever its called, in the General discussion forum. I think its back on the front page.

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works and it doesn't leave a smell..
  • Options
    So I got to thinking about it, and like so many times, once you think about it, the question changes. What happened is, I went to the B&M, scored some humijuice,squirted some in the humidifier, and immediately said: "I ain't puttin this thing upside down all wet hanging over my cigars." So screw the stick to the lid for that -- it goes in the bottom. Little lightweight hydrometer, however, is another matter. Two part tape appears to be holding the magnet in the lid recess. Gorilla glued the metal disc to the back of the cheapo hydro. Problem appears solved.

Box smells very cedary. Minds me of Mom's hope chest. Helluva bargain for a scratch and dent price.