Home Cigar 101

twigs, stems, what is "normal"

Recently I have smoked several cigars that were really tight and didn't want to stay lit. After giving up and disecting them I found multiple stems 2 or more inches long and about 1/16" in diameter inside. This has occured with a La Herencia, LP 9, Obsidian, and just today with a Cohiba Puro... For the most part these were stems not attached to a leaf, just rolled in with the filler. So what is considered normal? I am kinda getting pissed off cause I thought better cigar brands like these were not supposed to have small trees hiding inside. I guess if I start saving them I won't have to buy a christmas tree this year, just string the twigs together and start hanging ornaments...

Comments

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I thought none was normal. That is a surprise. I have had a very tight davidoff though and thats the cream of the crop it seems.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    sierrawest:
    Recently I have smoked several cigars that were really tight and didn't want to stay lit. After giving up and disecting them I found multiple stems 2 or more inches long and about 1/16" in diameter inside. This has occured with a La Herencia, LP 9, Obsidian, and just today with a Cohiba Puro... For the most part these were stems not attached to a leaf, just rolled in with the filler. So what is considered normal? I am kinda getting pissed off cause I thought better cigar brands like these were not supposed to have small trees hiding inside. I guess if I start saving them I won't have to buy a christmas tree this year, just string the twigs together and start hanging ornaments...
    Definitely not normal
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    I thought none was normal. That is a surprise.
    thats about right. most of this is dealt with in the sorting room. but, again, it is all done by hand. mistakes clearly get by.
    scarlin:
    I have had a very tight davidoff though and thats the cream of the crop it seems.
    draw is more than stems. this could have been a host of other issues.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Even though the Puro is by far my favorite Dominican Cohiba but I have had more unsmokable cigars due to tight draw than any other cigar. To bad cause when I get a good one it's one of the most enjoyable cigars going.