Home Cigar 101

Seasoning Cabinet

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
Before you say search it, I did. Nothing comes up for my boat so chill. Anyway..

I had a bowl of water in my cabinet for 2 weeks (was outta town) and my active humidifer finally came today and I installed it and got it running. So I have a few questions..

Should I get beads to go in here aswell? Note: This is a a small cabinet and is only 5ft tall with a LARGE active humidifier (4 Reservoirs, 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top) So the beads would have to go in a drawer.

How long before I put my sticks in?

Good hygrometers? I have a round one which is looking like its 15 off and my xikar is off aswell..

Comments

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us The black squares are water reservoirs. The red squares are the fans. The grey square is the humidity sensor. I have 2 more fans aswell, anyidea where to place them?? Also, if I should get beads where should I put them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Nice cabinet dude. I'm no expert but I would think you would want the fans near the water so they can blow the humid air up to the top.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    james40:
    Nice cabinet dude. I'm no expert but I would think you would want the fans near the water so they can blow the humid air up to the top.
    Each reservoir has a fan on top that pulls air in and shoots straight up an adjacent hole so the bottom shoot up hopefully through the slips and the top go up and bounce off the top I'm guessing. Here is a photo of the reservoir. It is the black one on the second row and there are 4 of them.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Ah, you got the Avallo system. Nice setup.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    once you have humidity above 70% for more than a week without dipping below it will be safe to add in cigars.
    beads are optional. if you do have them in there put them closer to the top of your cabinet and dont charge them the 70% that they suggest. only around 45-50%. this will keep you from spiking up. your other humidity system will keep it from spiking down.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    once you have humidity above 70% for more than a week without dipping below it will be safe to add in cigars.
    beads are optional. if you do have them in there put them closer to the top of your cabinet and dont charge them the 70% that they suggest. only around 45-50%. this will keep you from spiking up. your other humidity system will keep it from spiking down.
    I would think that the charged beads and his active humidity system should be sufficient. Those beads are hard to dry out if they are over charged. I wonder if they need to be moistened at all. It seems that most BOTL who do charge the beads when they get them have problems with high and unstable humidity. Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if, with the fans drawing moist air up to the top where the beads would be placed could result in the beads becoming over saturated if they were pre moistened and then had moist air blown over them constanly? If that was the case, would the beads be rendered useless do you think?
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Scarlin, I really like your setup, very nice. I have to defer to more knowledgeable BOTL's here, just wanted to say nice setup
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    I would think that the charged beads and his active humidity system should be sufficient. Those beads are hard to dry out if they are over charged. I wonder if they need to be moistened at all. It seems that most BOTL who do charge the beads when they get them have problems with high and unstable humidity. Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if, with the fans drawing moist air up to the top where the beads would be placed could result in the beads becoming over saturated if they were pre moistened and then had moist air blown over them constanly? If that was the case, would the beads be rendered useless do you think?
    they arent that hard to dry out. i just pull the container out and set it in front of one of my house air vents over night. usually that gets them to about 10-15% charged.

as i said, beads are optional in an active humidification setup. im not sure i would put em in there. but it wont hurt if you do.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    I have two pounds of beads along with a cigar oasis XL plus in my wineador and it's perfect, and the wineador is at least two feet shorter then your cabinet. I also use two western digital 3 hygrometers that are pretty spot on with the correct RH. I found them on eBay, 14 each with free shipping .
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going by the hygrometer on that humi, you may want to double check it with a known good gauge. On my tower, the hygrometer it 10 off. So if it says 60%, it is actually 70%.

I trusted the gauge, because it had said it was precalibrated and accurate. There is no way to remove it as it is glued in. So I am looking for a gauge I can install that can be calibrated.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Smart decision Tony.
    0patience:
    If you are going by the hygrometer on that humi, you may want to double check it with a known good gauge. On my tower, the hygrometer it 10 off. So if it says 60%, it is actually 70%.

I trusted the gauge, because it had said it was precalibrated and accurate. There is no way to remove it as it is glued in. So I am looking for a gauge I can install that can be calibrated.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Smart decision Tony.
    0patience:

I don't have the same one as you but I have one similar. I was able to remove the hygro but couldn't find something to replace it. So I put it back in. Was going to seal it which I might but I'm too lazy. Wish they didn't have them on these guys as they look cheap and no one really uses them.

I should add my 50 count for my infused gurkha's took 4 years but it is now accurate! lol.