Home General Discussion

Looking for

Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
Hey guys I have been to every Walmart, Kroger in my local areas looking for a couple oust fans! And have found 0, I am looking for Atleast 2 for my new trunk and 1 for my cooler, I dado pick up a fan the other day that runs off 2 d batterys but it only lasted about 2 days but that was non stop running on low and it had no built in timer! If anyone can get them I'm willing to pay or if u have other ideas shoot them my way thanks brothers!!

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about 120V computer case fans? You can probably pick up a power supply and fan for little money.
    Or may be able to find a complete case you can rob parts off of at a garage sale.
    Hook up a light timer to the outlet and it will turn on and off on it's own.
    Anyways, just a thought.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    K thanks
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One power supply could run fans for both the trunk and cooler.
    You can pick up new power supplies for about $15.
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PS480D-BLK&cat=PWR
    And cooling fans for a couple bucks.
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CMF-1425-MU&cat=FAN
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=8025M12S-4P&cat=FAN
    And Home Depot has outlet timers for as little as $11.00
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Test around but get a few old adapters or chargers[like old cell phone chargers]. They always show the current and voltage output. So find some low voltage like 6 to 12v adapters and slice open the wires. Then cfind a few small fans like computer case fans [needs to be dc fans] or buy a cheapo. Lots of them will run slower on lower than recommended operating voltage, so you may get a nice slow air flow with a 6volt adapter. That's what they label cfm I believe. Think of it as how much air they move. Anyways wire the sliced adapter to the fan connections and you now have a plug in constant fan. You could mess with ac timers between the adapter and wall or let it run constantly. Let out your inner electronics geek and run some tests. Just make sure you cover wires with electrical tape and/or solder everything well. And don't shock yourself.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Medic, check out your local RV or trailer supply place. They sell battery operated fans intended for use in RV refrigerators.....
  • sierrawestsierrawest Posts: 50
    I recently bought two (Oust fans) from an Amazon seller - they were discontinued so kinda tough to find. I love mine and they have been spinning away for several months now. What makes these unique is that the fan spins for 5 min then shuts off for 15 and then repeats. Runs on 1 D battery that is even supplied. Looks like they are still $13.99 ea and shipped by Amazon - can't go wrong with that! (buy 2 for free shipping bro!)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    ....And don't shock yourself.

It's not possible to shock yourself with 6, 12, or even 24 volts DC. The average human body resistance is around 42 meg ohms and those low voltages/amps just won't flow through that much resistance. Now, the 120 volt side of the transformer is different. You CAN shock yourself with 120 volts as we all know.
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Bwahahahahahaha guys I love it, I can do some computer stuff but when it comes to elec and what not Imma idiot lol! Keep in mind I have a partially finished addition with no elec in it for said reason!!! Lol just not very mechanically inclined but may have to try the wiring in of an old charger! I do have a clip on fan that runs on 120 but it's like 5 inches and think it maybe to big but it's what I'm using right now
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    But a laptop cooling fan it runs off a USB but you can buy the adapter all total it should cost $10
    Money can't buy taste
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    blurr:
    Test around but get a few old adapters or chargers[like old cell phone chargers]. They always show the current and voltage output. So find some low voltage like 6 to 12v adapters and slice open the wires. Then cfind a few small fans like computer case fans [needs to be dc fans] or buy a cheapo. Lots of them will run slower on lower than recommended operating voltage, so you may get a nice slow air flow with a 6volt adapter. That's what they label cfm I believe. Think of it as how much air they move. Anyways wire the sliced adapter to the fan connections and you now have a plug in constant fan. You could mess with ac timers between the adapter and wall or let it run constantly. Let out your inner electronics geek and run some tests. Just make sure you cover wires with electrical tape and/or solder everything well. And don't shock yourself.
    i really need to do this, i have 3-4 computer fans and a big bag of old chargers and stuff...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MGG6SC/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1339995415&sr=8-1

Pair that up with a 120 mm case fan or two (with use of a splitter). If you go that route, let me know, I can send you the fan(s) and a splitter.