Home Cigar 101

Cigars in the mail, maybe sitting in mailbox for a minute...

WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
I couldn't find an answer to this so here goes. If I order Cigars and on the off chance the place I order them from decided to send them thru USPS instead of UPS and they end up in the mailbox....is this bad for them to sit in there for awhile? Now, lets just say they are in the mailbox, but I'm away for days at a time and can not get to them....they have to be effected somehow outside in the heat right? They will have to dry out and get ruined right? If this happens, am I up a creek with no paddle? I was just wondering this...usually I get them sent to my office, when I'm here and grab them from the ups guy. But sometimes I get that feeling they will end up in the company mailbox out in the heat, and if I'm not here no one checks the mail lol. Any answers would be appriciated....sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most places send the cigars with humi packs. So drying out shouldn't be a great issue, unless you are talking a week, I suppose. Heat (beetles) would be more a concern than drying out, I would think.
    If there is a problem with the cigars, you should be able to contact where you bought them and they would probably make it right.
    At least the few times I've ever had a problem, the places I bought from just had me ship them back and replaced them.

Only had one place (one that must not be mentioned) that I had problems with replacing cigars I receive that had problems and I have never bought from them again.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    WaterDemon:
    I couldn't find an answer to this so here goes. If I order Cigars and on the off chance the place I order them from decided to send them thru USPS instead of UPS and they end up in the mailbox....is this bad for them to sit in there for awhile? Now, lets just say they are in the mailbox, but I'm away for days at a time and can not get to them....they have to be effected somehow outside in the heat right? They will have to dry out and get ruined right? If this happens, am I up a creek with no paddle? I was just wondering this...usually I get them sent to my office, when I'm here and grab them from the ups guy. But sometimes I get that feeling they will end up in the company mailbox out in the heat, and if I'm not here no one checks the mail lol. Any answers would be appriciated....sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.
    I've wondered about something along these lines as well. Last year, I ordered a sampler from a website of their house blends and it came with no humidification whatsoever. But now, when I order anything without a box, it is in a zipper bag with a humipack. Yet, when I order a box, it just shows up, no humidification in the shipment. In every case, everything has been just fine and smokable either right out of the shipment or after sitting in the humi for a while. Is there some method to determining humidification in shipment?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with being more worried about beetles! But sometimes they can and will crack. So if the have been out in the sun for a while I would slowly bring them down in temp and then freeze them for a few days. Just make sure they are brought down in temp slowly
    Money can't buy taste
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I've had cigars shipped from CCOM during the summer not get to me until 10-14+ days. I've never had a problem, CCOM always ships with humi pack. Sitting in a mail box for a couple of days may be bad since it would act like an oven.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterDemon:
    If I order Cigars and on the off chance the place I order them from decided to send them thru USPS instead of UPS and they end up in the mailbox.

Hang on a minute... This assumes a UPS superiority not in evidence. My UPS guy leaves our packages on the doorstep. Wouldn't stuff bake there in the box? Some of our packages, UPS hands them to the post office to deliver. So then you are back to the mail box. Each time I have sent a bomb, I just used a priority mail flat rate box. Each one I have received, likewise has arrived via priority mail. Never even gave it a thought. And talk about baking .. have you seen those dark brown trucks those UPS guys swelter in? Well, their semis are equally dark brown, so the stogies would swelter en route.

We ought to ask our heroic brethren fighting in fleabittendustistan how their packages arrive. Those sticks take a long voyage halfway round the world and arrive in hades. That, I think, would be the acid test. A mailbox would have nothing on that. What say you heroes? Do your sticks arrive in good shape?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I have ordered and had brothers send a few packages and all have arrived fine. They usually take 2 weeks from the day they ship to get here. Just requires a little re-coup time once they arrive, but I have had no issues whatsoever. And it is peaking at just over 100 degrees in the daytime here in my part of asscrackistan. Like others have suggested, let them acclimate slowly. Once I get mine, I leave them in room temperature foe a few hours before putting them in the coolidor/humi that way they don't go straight from 90+ degrees to 62.