Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Misconceptions

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
Two particularly numb-nutted folks came to my apartment selling magazines, as I answered the door one of them was eyeing my ashtray with a couple extinguished smokes in it. He looked at me when I opened the door and said, "you smoke those?? I was expecting some big ol fat guy with a beard to live here." The other one stated, "My grandpa smokes those!" (It was an AB Tempus sitting in the ashtray, so I doubt it...)

I casually asked the first guy, "what, you don't smoke cigars?" He apparently has tried some cheap gas-station brands. I ended up giving them $20 to shut up and leave, I handed one a cigar too and told him to enjoy it.

I am in no way big or fat and wondered why someone would say something so profoundly stupid. Have you guys had similar experiences? I understand stereotypes , but come on..... I'd like to hear other stories, and how you set em straight!
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think the biggest one that I encounter on a consistent basis is that cigars are just big cigarettes. I don't have any good stories about how I set people straight though.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    I think the biggest one that I encounter on a consistent basis is that cigars are just big cigarettes. I don't have any good stories about how I set people straight though.
    i see that a lot. the other thing i see is that im not "old enough" to smoke cigars. as if they are only for old people.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Some folks couldn't spend an hour alone with their own thoughts, much less a good cigar. I find cigar smokers are generally comfortable with themselves, and can easily tell someone like that to kindly f off.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    "They're gateway to cigarettes" ...get that all the time. There is no way im going to smoke a chemical bath.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    "you smoke those?? I was expecting some big ol fat guy with a beard to live here."

I would say something, but......well jeez this is a little awkward
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    Gray4lines:
    "you smoke those?? I was expecting some big ol fat guy with a beard to live here."

You're thinking Santa Claus....right?

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    It is just a typical stereotype some people have that haven't seen much of the world. Hasn't happened to me yet, I'm an old fart anyway, but it sounds like you handled it well. I wonder how he liked the cigar?
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    It is just a typical stereotype some people have that haven't seen much of the world. Hasn't happened to me yet, I'm an old fart anyway, but it sounds like you handled it well. I wonder how he liked the cigar?

I'm wondering the same from all this. Did he like the cigar and has his perception changed?
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Double post
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at first he acted somewhat interested. But I think he just wanted my money. After I gave him a cigar, a Brickhouse, he said "oh, I really don't smoke" and proceeded to mispronounce the name, haha. I doubt he gave it a second thought.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I have to say the biggest thing I come across is how people are consistantly surprised at how good the aroma from my cigar is. I find if I'm with family and friends and, I have the opportunity to have a cigar, I hear a lot of the time, "Wow. That cigar smells great!" As if they're expecting to stink like Donkey A$$.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    My girlfriend jokes about thin, decent looking guys being the minority in the cigar smoking world. She met Sam Leccia and Pete Johnson and had slight crushes on both. Then there are times that we walk into a cigar shop and it's a bunch of old, fat guys sitting around, puffing away....and the stereotype lives on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Cigar smokers are some of the consistently friendliest people I've met.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Gray4lines:
    Two particularly numb-nutted folks came to my apartment selling magazines, as I answered the door one of them was eyeing my ashtray with a couple extinguished smokes in it. He looked at me when I opened the door and said, "you smoke those?? I was expecting some big ol fat guy with a beard to live here."
    In my case he'd be right
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are ignorant about many things. Most cigar smokers will take the time to educate them on the subject of smoking cigars. I have turned a bunch of folks into cigar smokers by educating them and helping them understand. It is kind of fun.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Russ55:
    i see that a lot. the other thing i see is that im not "old enough" to smoke cigars. as if they are only for old people.
    Which is absolutely true, young man! So, hand them over! ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    Russ55:
    LOL
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    The one I get is from our friends/neighbors actually. Their all shocked to find out that I'm a cigar smoker, becuase I'm athletic and live a real healthy active lifestyle. The first thing they ask me is "doesn't it affect your lungs?" I always respond with "not if you do it right." But then they forget again and the same thing comes up the next time we see them. Its also probably becuase they rarely see me smoking.

But I live in Tobacco Phobic California as well so you run into a lot of anti tobacco sentiments from the majority of folks. I just ignore it all, becuase I'm only in control of my own thoughts and actions, not theirs.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Funny I sometimes get people who say "I thought only rich old people smoke cigars". I tell them cigars are for everyone that is of legal age. I also get the oh you are going to get lung cancer people too, I hate stupid people. I try to explain about cigars, but some just never want to listen.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohn:
    Funny I sometimes get people who say "I thought only rich old people smoke cigars". I tell them cigars are for everyone that is of legal age. I also get the oh you are going to get lung cancer people too, I hate stupid people. I try to explain about cigars, but some just never want to listen.
    Unfortunatly most people think cigars and cigarettes are 2 sides of the same coin. They just can't grasp that we aren't smoking gun powder infused tubes of paper stuffed with chemically fortified tobacco
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Ever since I started smoking cigars when I was 17 I've gotten the whole "you're too young to smoke cigars" thing, people think that it's an expensive, luxurious hobby that only the rich can afford to enjoy. Personally I love talking about cigars to people who are in and of the community. When they see how passionate I am (like all the brothers and sisters of the leaf on here) they get excited and want to know more. I also get the "you're gonna die from that filthy habit" from my grandparents and (in a nicer way) from my mom. And I get that, they're just looking out for me, but I've explained the differences between cigars and cigarettes hopefully well enough that they will respect my decision. And honestly, I'm an adult and if I choose to enjoy a cigar that is my right and privilege!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    It is a lifestyle for relaxation, self-hypnosis, bridge of friendship between different culture, between people....goes on and on. This is not for everyone but won't complain nor promote as long as I have my right to smoke.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    Cigar smokers are some of the consistently friendliest people I've met.
    +1 all the rest of the population seem to be very judgmental
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106
    beatnic:
    Some folks couldn't spend an hour alone with their own thoughts, much less a good cigar. I find cigar smokers are generally comfortable with themselves, and can easily tell someone like that to kindly f off.

THATS AWESOME! LOL!...Yes sir do kindly f off! (british accent).
  • Options
    I'm sitting here in my fav smoking spot breaking the law now. Seems my county don't want smoking on public beaches. I say suck it biatches
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    Russ55:
    do i need to point out how grey my hair is getting?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    MTuccelli:
    letsgowithbob:
    Gray4lines:

You're thinking Santa Claus....right?

Like this?