Home Cigar 101

Tap water in humidifier?

interpiminterpim Posts: 146
OK... so i've had beads in my humidor for about 3 years now, and they have done an excellent job of maintaining a 70% humidity on my cigars... I've consistently recharged the beads with distilled water over the course of those years.

My question is this. Why exactly is distilled water required? what is the big deal about tap water, and why shouldn't we use it? I'm headed to sea in a couple months for an 8 month deployment... getting distilled water is going to be a challenge. Although our water is processed through Reverse Osmosis to remove salt, bacteria, etc... They also add bromine to it as well.

So, if i charge my beads with tap water, is it going to make them spontaneously combust into a gelatinous goop and stain all my sticks with it?

-Robert

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tap water has impurities. often times those impurities smell bad. other times they are minerals. sometimes its both. the smells can effect your cigars if left with them too long. the minerals can clog up your beads and they wont work as well.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Before I went with the beads I used the blue gel type bead and cigar juice. Humi-Care if I'm not mistaken. Worked pretty well. Depending where you are deployed you may need to remove some humidity from time to time too.
    Stay safe and thanks for serving.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use beads and they work wonderfully for me. I've used both distilled and tap water. My tap water is run through my water softener. I firmly believe that the reason either will work well is because I don't charge my beads the way a lot of folks do. I simply put a small container (in my case a small custard cup) with a small amount of water on my coolidor. The beads absorb what moisture they need from the air and when the RH reaches/exceeds their rated % I remove the cup. I've had no adverse smell/taste/whatever as a result. I honestly don't understand why folks continue to insist on 'charging' the beads. The way I look at it is why argue with success?
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    If you can't find distilled water on board just set up your own still under your bunk ;). Anyway Kuzi is right :P
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    The3Stogies:
    Before I went with the beads I used the blue gel type bead and cigar juice. Humi-Care if I'm not mistaken. Worked pretty well. Depending where you are deployed you may need to remove some humidity from time to time too.

I'm deploying to the Persian Gulf... It's pretty dry there, so doubt I will have to remove humidity LOL

-Robert
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    I use tap water and got mold, so I wouldn't use it again
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regular water leads to mold. I don't know why but I have seen it first hand. Never had issues with distilled water. If you can't get any what about bottles of that cigar juice stuff? I have seen stuff at the B&M to use in lieu of water. Should be able to get a couple bottles of that in your gear and if you run out you can get it here at Cigar.com or have a brother here mail you some. Just another option.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I use beads and they work wonderfully for me. I've used both distilled and tap water. My tap water is run through my water softener. I firmly believe that the reason either will work well is because I don't charge my beads the way a lot of folks do. I simply put a small container (in my case a small custard cup) with a small amount of water on my coolidor. The beads absorb what moisture they need from the air and when the RH reaches/exceeds their rated % I remove the cup. I've had no adverse smell/taste/whatever as a result. I honestly don't understand why folks continue to insist on 'charging' the beads. The way I look at it is why argue with success?
    Hmm I wonder about this. I just purchased beads. Anyone else comment on this? Seems logical to me
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    jlmarta:
    Hmm I wonder about this. I just purchased beads. Anyone else comment on this? Seems logical to me
    interesting. provided your water has no taste it shouldnt be an issue. interesting thought right there.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    tap water has impurities. often times those impurities smell bad. other times they are minerals. sometimes its both. the smells can effect your cigars if left with them too long. the minerals can clog up your beads and they wont work as well.
    +1 i'll suggest boveda packs
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    jlmarta:
    I use tap water with no problems at all. I also re-charge my beads this way instead of spraying them as some guys do.
    alright... total noob question (of course). How should I "charge" or in general hydrate my beads? I hear some use a spray bottle and mist about 70% of the beads. Some.... I dunno spit on them? haha jk. no really though. tell me
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    alright... total noob question (of course). How should I "charge" or in general hydrate my beads? I hear some use a spray bottle and mist about 70% of the beads. Some.... I dunno spit on them? haha jk. no really though. tell me

Okay, silly noob, I'll put it as simply as I can: READ THE ABOVE POSTS!!!! Got it now?? Doofus!!
    jlmarta:
    jliu:

Okay, silly noob, I'll put it as simply as I can: READ THE ABOVE POSTS!!!! Got it now?? Doofus!!
    ahhh yes. one more question. When is Sniper Glen's birthday?
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    interpim:
    The3Stogies:

I'm deploying to the Persian Gulf... It's pretty dry there, so doubt I will have to remove humidity LOL

-Robert
    Talk to your combat systems guys. Some of their stuff may use distilled water. Our FCO would hook me up with distilled water underway.
    Knoxca1:
    interpim:
    The3Stogies:

-Robert
    Talk to your combat systems guys. Some of their stuff may use distilled water. Our FCO would hook me up with distilled water underway.

I'm the STO onboard, and none of the CS guys use distilled... they do use Demineralized though, but I have seen the measurements on their water filters... Not sure that is any better than tap water LOL.

-Robert
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said...

(a little off topic) - but I wanted to ask when are you leaving, Robert?
    I assume (and hope) you'll be able to take some cigars with you...if so, any limits on how many you can take?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:

I assume (and hope) you'll be able to take some cigars with you...if so, any limits on how many you can take?

I can't really state specifics on when we are leaving, but I have about 2 months left at home before we head out.

As far as how many cigars I can take with me, I am taking a 150 ct. humi with me... I plan on leaving room for some Cubans once we get to some of the duty free shops overseas. I am really interested in trying some of them, considering I have never smoked a legitimate Cuban cigar.

-Robert
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interpim:
    jgibv:

I can't really state specifics on when we are leaving, but I have about 2 months left at home before we head out.

As far as how many cigars I can take with me, I am taking a 150 ct. humi with me... I plan on leaving room for some Cubans once we get to some of the duty free shops overseas. I am really interested in trying some of them, considering I have never smoked a legitimate Cuban cigar.

-Robert
    Understandable, Robert.
    I'm glad to hear you will be able to take some smokes with you and I hope you are able to find and enjoy some authentic Cubans during your time over there.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    interpim:
    Knoxca1:
    interpim:
    The3Stogies:

-Robert

I'm the STO onboard, and none of the CS guys use distilled... they do use Demineralized though, but I have seen the measurements on their water filters... Not sure that is any better than tap water LOL.

-Robert

Was thinking the juice would be more easily stored/transported and might last longer than using distilled. Don't really know, I didn't use it for long. Just use it in my travel herf now.