Home General Discussion
Options

Pipe forum?

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
Just a suggestion, but there's been an undercurrent of pipe threads going on here, especially now that ccom is carrying pipes and pipe tobacco. Some people are posting under non-cigar related, and that makes perfect sense. But why not add another forum to the list for pipes?

I don't think that's a huge deal like adding instant messaging or sticky threads would be. But maybe I'm wrong...I know nothing about how to create/run a website.
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Fixed it,,lol
    Ken Light:
    Just a suggestion, but there's been an undercurrent of pipe threads going on here, especially now that ccom is carrying pipes and pipe tobacco. Some people are posting under non-cigar related, and that makes perfect sense. But why not add another forum to the list for pipes?

I don't think that's a huge deal like adding instant messaging or sticky threads would be. But maybe I'm wrong...I know nothing.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like this forum is Community Server by Telligent or Telligent Community, depending on how old it is.
    If it is, adding forums is pretty simple in the admin control panel.
    Add the forum, configure the permissions and your done.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont smoke a pipe almost ever but i think it would be a nice addition to the mix now that ccom has pipes, pipe tobacco, and pipe accessories.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Fixed it,,lol
    Ken Light:

I don't think that's a huge deal like adding instant messaging or sticky threads would be. But maybe I'm wrong...I know nothing.
    Damn I just got pimp slapped by Keith Stone. Not sure whether to be flattered or pissed.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i dont smoke a pipe almost ever but i think it would be a nice addition to the mix now that ccom has pipes, pipe tobacco, and pipe accessories.
    I used to and am currently resisting the urge to take it back up. Just trying to add a helpful suggestion for others, Keith Stone be damned...
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking this would be a good idea as well. I have recently started a little bit myself. Still prefer the cigars but, would be fun to see where it goes. My $.02
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    great idea ken, ive been wanting to try a pipe and a new forum for pipes would be a welcome addtion i think.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    I used to and am currently resisting the urge to take it back up. Just trying to add a helpful suggestion for others, Keith Stone be damned...
    Nice Ken, always setting yourself up again and again eh? ;P

I I just brought out and cleaned up my pipe again and have been having an urge to smoke it as well, just need to pick up some pipe tobacco today. Amanda had bought for me the day we got married last fall, smokes beautifully and is basically a mini-"Gandalf" style as I call it lol.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

I I just brought out and cleaned up my pipe again and have been having an urge to smoke it as well, just need to pick up some pipe tobacco today. Amanda had bought for me the day we got married last fall, smokes beautifully and is basically a mini-"Gandalf" style as I call it lol.
    Get some maple nut at Barlow's tonight, That stuff smells awesome.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

Get some maple nut at Barlow's tonight, That stuff smells awesome.
    Sounds good :) I was planning on picking some stuff up when we meet up to herf this evening :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAT!?! Ccom now sells pipes and pipe tobacco! I never noticed. Going to look now. I think a pipe section would be fantastic.
  • Options
    Just got done looking at the pipe stuff. Excellent pipe selection. I am a huge fan of Nording and saw several I want. Though the pipe tobacco selection is somewhat limited there were many desirable blends I saw and a few new things I plan on trying. It is a good variety and selection though. Something for everyone. I hope to see some McClelland added later.

If I may I would like to recommend the XIKAR Resource pipe lighter. I have the wood grain one and love it. It is the perfect pipe lighter with all your pipe accessories built in. Definitely invest in one. I like matches but find pipe smoking is less work with the XIKAR lighter. Check it out.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

That's me, lightning rod. Must be the aluminum foil hat on my head.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jsnake:
    Just got done looking at the pipe stuff. Excellent pipe selection. I am a huge fan of Nording and saw several I want. Though the pipe tobacco selection is somewhat limited there were many desirable blends I saw and a few new things I plan on trying. It is a good variety and selection though. Something for everyone. I hope to see some McClelland added later.

Oh yeah, some McClelland would be nice; I just got their Grand Orientals and I'm loving it so far. Seems like the Beard is trying to get his hands on some Esoterica Penzance and Stonehaven, which'll rock if they can find some - heard almsot nothing but great reviews on that stuff
  • Options
    xmacro:
    jsnake:

Oh yeah, some McClelland would be nice; I just got their Grand Orientals and I'm loving it so far. Seems like the Beard is trying to get his hands on some Esoterica Penzance and Stonehaven, which'll rock if they can find some - heard almsot nothing but great reviews on that stuff
    I have some Penzance but I can never find Stonehaven. If you can get some Stonehaven I might be able to get another tin of Penzance if you want to make a trade. They both go fast but Stonehaven magically disappears within minutes of arriving. My shop actually started as a pipe shop and is home of the KC Pipe Club so those guys know the good stuff.

I think I am going to try some other offerings here at Ccom I haven't tried and probably going to snag an Eric Nording pipe.
  • Options
    Yeah, both have a ton of hype surrounding them, and it seems that the scarcity is due to old-timers trying to stock pile combined with newbies trying to get their hands on it to give it a try - stuff supposedly sells out within hours of any website daring to declare they have it in stock. I've gone 20 pages deep into Google search and come up empty - Stonehaven and Penzance just don't exist online anymore, only in local B&M's

I've heard that Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake is Penzance (or extremely close to it), just repackaged for Smoker's Haven, so that's an alternative, but honestly, that's kind of an open secret, so the stuff is always sold out
  • Options
    Sometimes I find gems when I visit my locals. I have half a mind to buy up stuff and sell online when I find things. What is hard to find here might be on the shelves there where you are. I love McClelland Holiday Spirit and was able to buy a tin of every year's release back to the original year that I found on a dusty shelf. Some guys can't find any of it so I was happy with that.

If I come across Stonehaven or Penzance I will let you know. I still have my sealed tin and haven't tried Penzance yet. Trying to smoke up what is in my mason jars first especially my aromatics because supposedly they do not age well like the nons do.

And keep an eye on ebay.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    OK that's it.. I'm buying a damn pipe.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    Sometimes I find gems when I visit my locals. I have half a mind to buy up stuff and sell online when I find things. What is hard to find here might be on the shelves there where you are. I love McClelland Holiday Spirit and was able to buy a tin of every year's release back to the original year that I found on a dusty shelf. Some guys can't find any of it so I was happy with that.

If I come across Stonehaven or Penzance I will let you know. I still have my sealed tin and haven't tried Penzance yet. Trying to smoke up what is in my mason jars first especially my aromatics because supposedly they do not age well like the nons do.

And keep an eye on ebay.
    I've got a question . . . if I find some Penzance and Stonehaven out in California, and buy up what little they have, then post about it on a dedicated pipe smokers forum, but neglect to mention that I bought it all, does that make me a bad person? . . . cause that's exactly what I unintentionally just did Stick out tongue [:P]

I posted about my rare find on another forum, but said that they wanted about $50 for an 8oz bag that should run $20-$30 (which was true). Then I thought about it, and realized that the $50 was probably Calif. prices, so I called back to the shop, and sure enough, shipping out of state dropped the price to $30 each, so I bought the 8oz of each that they had left in stock
    Direwolf:
    OK that's it.. I'm buying a damn pipe.
    WOO! A new convert!
  • Options
    Now I just gotta sift through these millions of beautiful pipes and find one I want.
  • Options
    Can't really go wrong with Peterson, Castello, Savinelli or Stanwell, though there are tons of pipes to fit every budget; then there's the many materials, from meerschaum to briar to cob. It's like starting with cigars all over again and trying to understand the difference between vitola's, wrapper vs filler, Don Pepin vs AJ Fernandez - confusing, but wonderful Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    Xmacro, if you don't snag it someone else will! If it is personal use I think it is ok. If it is to sell at a fair price I think it is ok. Who cares if you make a couple bucks for your efforts? For instance I want Spike's Tactical parts for my gun but there is a 6 month to 1 year wait if you can even get them. I go to ebay and find what I want. I am paying more than the MSRP but that is my choice and I am just glad I can find the parts from these guys. If someone is insanely gouging I won't say anything. I don't like it but it is not my problem. I just wait or move on to the better deal. So would buying it up and selling piss some people off? I imagine so. But you didn't buy that much and if you make it available at a fair price to others I think it is cool. Sometimes it is the only way I have access to things. I consider it doing a favor for others. On the other hand if you bought it up for personal use well good for you. Any of the rest of us would do the same. Anyone who says they wouldn't is lying.

Direwolf do it! I always thought pipe smoking was oldmanish until I tried it and fell in love. It is a learning process and can be frustrating but just like cigars - read the forums and learn. Pipe guys do trades and bombs as well. I want an Eric Nording something fierce. Really thinking about dropping the hammer on one this weekend. Another nice thing about pipes is you can take it into almost any tobacconist that sells pipe tobacco and they will let you sample a bowl before you buy.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I just purchased my first Boswell pipe a couple of months ago and have recently gotten into smoking English blends. It's another fun hobby. I still prefer cigars, but smoking a pipe is much less expensive (after the initial investment) and takes considerably less time. In fact, I'm gonna go have a bowl of rum and maple blend right now!
  • Options
    The penzance and stonehaven is all for me; been wanting to try it for awhile, and now I'll have some to smoke and some to age
  • Options
    Can't start off with an insane pipe. Gonna start off with a decent briar. There are just soo many out there.
  • Options
    Direwolf and any other potential new pipe smokers:

Don't learn the hard way! Here are a few rules or guidelines everyone should know:

As a general rule of thumb wood pipes should only be smoked once a day. You can ruin your pipe smoking multiple bowls. Why do you think some guys own so many pipes? So they can smoke multiple bowls. Of course size and length can make the experience different.

Do not break a pipe in while outside. The wind can can make things burn hotter and faster.

Watch youtube videos on the multiple ways to break in a pipe and the multiple ways to fill your bowl.

A corncob pipe is not only affordable but a great way to learn before you invest. Make mistakes on a corncob and who cares?

Be sure to get a pipe tool or multi tool. They are inexpensive and come in handy for taking care of your pipe. You also need pipe cleaners which are cheap.

Let your pipe cool off before you clean it. Do not remove the stem until your pipe has cooled off. Some pipe stems are not easily replaceable and many pipe shops are not taking pipe work to replace stems.

Oh so much to cover but those are biggies in my mind. You don't want to invest in a pipe and damage it. I am not an expert but those things stick out in my mind. I have seen guys crack their pipe bowls from smoking multiple bowls and it gets too hot. I have seen guys who can't get their stems to fit because of removing it while the pipe was hot.
  • Options
    Another thing, keep a hand on your pipe - if it gets hot (put it against your cheeek - too hot to keep it there is too hot), then stop puffing and put the pipe down for a few minutes; if you get the pipe too hot, you can actually burn the wood inside a briar - you'll wind up literally smoking the wood of your pipe - though this is hard to do unless you never touch your pipe, in which case it's easier. With a meerschaum, you won't burn the pipe but you'll evaporate the wax which is what colors the meerschaum, another bad thing to do.

• Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Guy just put the bug in IT's ear and should hopefully have a page very soon depending on how busy they are.
  • Options
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Guy just put the bug in IT's ear and should hopefully have a page very soon depending on how busy they are.
    Thanks buddy.
  • Options
    WOO!!