Home Cigar 101

How cold is too cold? Rh at colder temps?

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
So My cabinet is in an area of the house where it is roughly about 60 degrees (underground no sun sorta place) and I read that Rh should be higher if the temp is lower. First off is 60 degrees too cold? Secondly should I keep my Rh up so the sticks don't dry out? What is a good recommendation for Rh, because I see charts saying 92%.. Thanks, Botl

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    No, that whole thing about changing the humidity to match the temp is only with absolute humidity - Rh - relative humidity - should be 65-70, regardless of temperature. So yes - there are two ways to measure humidity; our hygro's measure RH, not AH, so you don't need to worry about your humidity

Not entirely sure about the temp, but as far as I can remember, I was told that lower temps, like low 60's, will just slow down the aging process; the main reason to keep the temp down is beetles; not sure if there's any other reason
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    So My cabinet is in an area of the house where it is roughly about 60 degrees (underground no sun sorta place) and I read that Rh should be higher if the temp is lower. First off is 60 degrees too cold? Secondly should I keep my Rh up so the sticks don't dry out? What is a good recommendation for Rh, because I see charts saying 92%.. Thanks, Botl

No, 60 degrees is fine. Remember that tobacco beetles can move around looking for a mate at temp's above 71 degrees. So 60 is lovely. Warmer air holds more moisture so that's something to consider but I think I'd love it, personally, if I had a place that stayed at 60.