Home Cigar 101
Options

what if...

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
What if you smoked a cigar without the wrapper? I had to do this to a cigar I had tonight. It was so tore up, the entire wrapper just fell haha. It was a Padilla Cazadores. It actually tasted fine. I assume if the wrapper was on there, it'll taste different. You folks have any experience with this? Professora Kuzi san. Input please?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i mean, you pretty much summed it up.

if you wanna try something very different, get two cigars you are very familiar with that are the same size but very different blends and switch the wrappers.
    that can show you just how much the wrapper does.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    kuzi16:
    i mean, you pretty much summed it up.

if you wanna try something very different, get two cigars you are very familiar with that are the same size but very different blends and switch the wrappers.
    that can show you just how much the wrapper does.

Like this?

• Options
    Nihongo anime oooooo. Hey professor, how can I do this? Recommend any cigars for me to test this out?
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I read a while back a good test to show the how much of an effect the wrapper has. It was done by placing your cutter about an inch from the foot of the cigar and make a slight cut around the cigar just enough to pull that part of the wrapper off the end.

I haven't tested it, but this way would at least take out all of the variables introduced by comparing two different smokes.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jliu:
    Nihongo anime oooooo. Hey professor, how can I do this? Recommend any cigars for me to test this out?
    Yeah, I love manga and to a lesser extent, anime :p

One cheap/throwaway cigar you may wanna try is the Gurkha 5th Avenue. If I remember correctly, the maduro version came about when a roller accidentally put a maduro wrapper on a cigar intended to be a connecticut. Assuming they didn't change the blend, the only difference should be the wrapper.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    bbass2:
    I read a while back a good test to show the how much of an effect the wrapper has. It was done by placing your cutter about an inch from the foot of the cigar and make a slight cut around the cigar just enough to pull that part of the wrapper off the end.

I haven't tested it, but this way would at least take out all of the variables introduced by comparing two different smokes.
    Great memory, bbass. I do remember a thread where this came up from a while back. Jiunn this might be easier to pull off than switching wrappers, althought I think Mr Hannibal was a big experimentor with this back in the day. I always wondered what the Diesel UHC would tast like with a Sumatra wrapper. probably pretty freaking yummy.

Side note I am not ashamed to admit that I have smoked a fair share of cigar sans wrapper. I used to smoke a lot of the Gukha masters select perfectos and for some reason they LOVE unwrapping. There has been more than a few times that I didn't feel like going inside to get another one, and just smoked it without the wrapper. it works fine but for me everything just tastes less. It seemed to be missing that somethin somethin that made the cigar laste like you expected.

Give it a shot through Jiunn, I'd imagine if you had a steady enough hand you could peel off the bottom inch or so pretty easily.
  • Options
    ok cool. I'm going to try this out. Looking forward to this little experiment. You guys are lovely
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    bbass2:

I now have An experiment to try. Thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    josiahcoljosiahcol Posts: 70
    I would have never thought to try this without you guys, this will be a fun experement for me. Thanks!
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    bbass2:

i accidentally did this with a 5v classic, it was damaged during shipping and about half of the wrapper fell off, the second half with the wrapper tasted somewhat sweeter and more intense than the first half.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread.

it takes some practice but you can switch wrappers post market
    THIS LADY (of the stick) does it. im sure with a bit of practice on some cigars you dont care about you can do it too.
  • Options
    cool. thanks professor K