Home General Discussion
Options

How/when/why did you start enjoying cigars.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Several people in my family smoke cigars, so I've been exposed to them for quite a while. Family gatherings can often be very long herfs. I think I smoked my first Sancho Panza at 16, and then every once in a while at the family get togethers.

Around the time when I turned thirty, the wife bought me a humidor, and a 20 count cigar sampler. I was tentative at first having been a former cigarette smoker, but the more I learned about them, the more I realized they have more in common with wine than cigarettes. I started trying stuff out, and I discovered ccom on the recommendation from an old guild-mate from WoW. I placed an order for some singles, and a few weeks later I got an email from one Tim Blythe saying he wanted to be my "cigar guy". I sent him a reply order, and I've been buying 99% of my sticks from him since then.

A year or so later I started attending the socal herfs, and that, coupled with all the reading I did on here really started to open my eyes to the cigar world. That first humidor has turned into 4 coolers, and 3 other wooden humis, but the rest is, as they say, history.
  • Options
    josiahcoljosiahcol Posts: 70
    I started a little over 2 years ago, i had a few friends at work who would talk about smoking cigars and relaxing and thought it would be fun to give it a try. First one I ever smoked was an ACID blondie at my local cigar shop and havent looked back, for me it wasnt so much the actual smoking of the cigar itself even though i love that part. It was the experince of sitting around with a few people, even guys you dont know and having something in common with them and sharing a good relaxing time. In my opinion, the best way to relax and celebrate is a good cigar. I remember picking up a 20 count humidor that day and thinking there was no way i would ever fill it but it would be cool to keep a few around in my apartment, and here i am now with my 150 count over half full.
  • Options
    Well this thread died lol. I was thinking on why i started so i decided to look to see if there was a thread. I started right after i graduated. My dad brought me to Aruba and he always talked about these hand rolls they had. then it became a thing the 2 of us did together to hang out. i did it out here in japan to remember those moment since i was on the other side of the planet. then what was a small thing kinda exploded i just kept getting more and more, got myself a small starter humi quickly overloaded that one then upgraded to a 100 ct humi which im fine with atm, and i kinda become the cigar go to guy for my divison. when i get back to the states and ill start really investing in this hobby of mine.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i started with Swisher Sweets in 1963. The Swisher had a wood tip and i could grip it in my teeth while riding my motorcycle. Fast forward 47 years and someone offered me a cigar at a Native American ceremony. I joined a group of men sitting on the ground in a circle talking about the four day event. When i got home i decided that I wanted to further explore cigars and my journey has led here to this fine bunch of men and women.