Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Would anyone like to help me start my brother's cigar collection??

Well, my brother has been living at home part-time for the past year as he travels in between DC (work) and Ohio (where he recently bought his first home). While it wasn't an ideal situation to be away from his wife so much, he had to do what he had to do in order to make money for his new family. Over that time, we have had countless nights on the porch or in my back yard sipping on wine or whiskey and smoking cigars (many of which were given to me by CCOM brothers and sisters).

Sadly, but fortunately, all that is about to change. He recently got an amazing new job at a great law firm close to his home in Ohio, and will be moving out in a couple weeks, and it's slowly starting to hit me that my brother and close friend isn't going to be around but maybe twice a year to hang out, and that my cigar smoking buddy list will be cut in half. All of this has made me think about how fortunate I am to have been able to spend an extra year with my older brother during my final years of college, something many people do not get an opportunity to do. We've built a close relationship over the past year or two, and a lot of it is due to our time spent talking about life over the many cigars we've shared. He doesn't actually have of his own cigars or humidor - he will sometimes provide something to drink, and I always provide the cigars for our smoking and he loves it as much as I do.

Anyway, I'll cut the nostalgia and get to my point. I really want to be able to give him a great gift to take with him to Ohio, not only as a goodbye gift, but as a house warming gift, new beginnings gift, etc, and I was thinking, what better gift than a new humidor with some great cigars!? That's all fine and dandy, but I am a college student, with mounting debt, in one of the most costly cities in the country, and I can't really afford to do it right, and was wondering if some of you might like to help me send him to Ohio with a package worthy of the CCOM forum name.

If you would like to help, in any way, please send me a PM letting me know what you can send, and I'll give you my address. Any cigars, lighters, cutters, humidors, accessories that you'd be willing to donate are more than welcomed! I'd like to have it put together by the end of next week because he is leaving just after that.

THANKS!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Count me in bro! Got three brothers myself. Would be honored to help ya out!
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Wonderful! Thank you so much!

Question to all: Should I set him up with a Tupperdore and spend my money on cigars, or should I spend my money on a humidor and let him fill it?
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Pm to ya bro
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    I would set him up with a cooler. You can get one at Walmart for like 20 bucks. Guess it depends how much he is into the hobby. But you would know more.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    oldsoulrevival:
    mmccartneydc:
    Wonderful! Thank you so much!

Question to all: Should I set him up with a Tupperdore and spend my money on cigars, or should I spend my money on a humidor and let him fill it?
    I could set up a 5'er for him. PM to you. As for the question I sort of agree with Trident. You know him best so what would he like? The romance of the cedar humidor that he gets to learn how to take care of or more and possibly nicer cigars.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Tupperdores are way easier to maintain if you are not wise in the regular humidor ways. That with 1lb of heartfelt/conservagel beads would do everything he needs. Get a nice digi hygro for $15. Total cost about $50 and he has a ton of storage. Get a 28qt or so if he is not going to have more than 150 cigars. He can always get a bigger cooler really cheap.
  • Options
    PM replied - thank you to everyone so far!!! It means a lot to me.

I think I want to get him a humidor. The thing is, he doesn't have a lot of free time to smoke like some of us. He works ridiculous hours as a lawyer, so a 150ct humidor will be plenty of space for him to have some sticks he knows he loves as well as some others that he can experiment with. A cooler would be overkill, methinks.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Im gonna go with the idea of a coolidor. If he's never taken care of a humidor before, coolidors are much easier to maintain as 1) they provide better protection from heat in case he has a dumbass attack and leaves it in the sun or something else crazy happens, 2) most coolers hold RH extremely well, 3) if his love of cigars takes off, he should have plenty of room to expand his collection, and 4) if it goes the other way and he doesnt like it as much without you around, you arent pissed off at buying a pimp daddy setup that will be yard saled or eBay'd at a quarter of the cost you shelled out for it.

Im in on the donations BTW, pm inbound. Awesome gesture of brotherly love here, and Im happy to support it. :-)

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    So, am I the o--------------nevermind.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Vulchor:
    So, am I the o--------------nevermind.
    DOH! Somebody gettin perilously close to 3K!!!

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    To me humidors are a personal choice. I would leave that to him. If he stays in the hobby, and if he chooses he wants something nicer than a tupperdore then let him pick out what he likes.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Evanston Diamante Humidor went for about $50 on the sprinter. Great price considering no shipping. Great size and classy.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Evanston Diamante Humidor went for about $50 on the sprinter. Great price considering no shipping. Great size and classy.

+1 on Sprint. I got my 5 Vegas for $44 and I love it.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who has been and continues to be a part of this. I've had some amazing brothers reach out and help and it's turned out better than I could have even hoped. Thank you all!