Home Cigar 101
Options

Special Occasion Smokes?

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
My anniversary is coming up and I am looking for a "special occasion" cigar. I smoke alot of good cigars, so for the special occasions I wanted something really top notch. I have a box of Opus X's for the birth of our baby, so I wanted something different than that. I have a Stradivarius sitting in my humidor, so I may go with that, but I was also thinking about picking up some Gurkha The Royal Reserve (supposed to be the next best thing to a HMR). The only downside to the Royal Reserves is that the only place I can find 'em you have to buy three at a time and they are currently sold out.

I'd like to keep it under $30 a stick, so what do you suggest? What high-end smokes out there are really worth every penny? Perdomo Edicion De Silvio? Graycliff Crystal? Zino Platinum Scepter? My anniversary is in less than two weeks, so I was hopng to get it (them) in the next few days.

Comments

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    My anniversary is coming up and I am looking for a "special occasion" cigar. I smoke alot of good cigars, so for the special occasions I wanted something really top notch. I have a box of Opus X's for the birth of our baby, so I wanted something different than that. I have a Stradivarius sitting in my humidor, so I may go with that, but I was also thinking about picking up some Gurkha The Royal Reserve (supposed to be the next best thing to a HMR). The only downside to the Royal Reserves is that the only place I can find 'em you have to buy three at a time and they are currently sold out.

I'd like to keep it under $30 a stick, so what do you suggest? What high-end smokes out there are really worth every penny? Perdomo Edicion De Silvio? Graycliff Crystal? Zino Platinum Scepter? My anniversary is in less than two weeks, so I was hopng to get it (them) in the next few days.
    Padron 1926 80 Year would be a good special occasion smoke. I've got one resting that a buddy of mind bought me for my B-day and I'm pretty sure they are around $30 a stick and can be found at most B&M's. Well around here it can be at least. There are 3 shops within 5 miles of me that has them in stock.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    If you like cognac and have any desire to try the Gurkha Royal Reserve, I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise, I'd go with the above selections or a God of Fire.

I personally love both the Padron 26 and 64 and have a special place in my hear for La Aurora's Preferidos line as that was the first premium smoke I had that got me into cigars. I've only had one God of Fire - Carlito 2005 Churchill and it was a great smoke - a bit pricey, but a celebratory smoke.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    If you like cognac and have any desire to try the Gurkha Royal Reserve, I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise, I'd go with the above selections or a God of Fire.

I personally love both the Padron 26 and 64 and have a special place in my hear for La Aurora's Preferidos line as that was the first premium smoke I had that got me into cigars. I've only had one God of Fire - Carlito 2005 Churchill and it was a great smoke - a bit pricey, but a celebratory smoke.
    The royal reserve is a good cigar, though wish you got more cognac out of it. GOF is a good one, as is a Ashton ESG or VSG, as is an opus X. Also Don Carlos 30th (so I hear).
  • Options
    dan7876dan7876 Posts: 47
    Funny you should mention the Padron 1926...My wife just bought me one of those for our anniversary last week (along with a bottle of 16-yr. Glenlivet Nadurro...mmm). Definitely a fine celebratory smoke. - Dan
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I never really looked at the Preferidos before, but the Sapphire sounds like it would be right up my alley. I think that is what I am going with.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Tony-I would personally save my money and go with something on its way to you ...:) :):)
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Tony-I would personally save my money and go with something on its way to you ...:) :):)
    Trust me Gene, I'm counting it too, lol. I am going to have it, the Stradivarius, and the La Aurora I think. It is going to be a good day methinks.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    gmill880:
    Trust me Gene, I'm counting it too, lol. I am going to have it, the Stradivarius, and the La Aurora I think. It is going to be a good day methinks.

Me thinks you are correct my friend ...
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    If you can find the Ashton ESG those are damn good, I can only fnd them at one B&M in town and their stock is dwindiling fast. I would say decade but ive been smoking those on a *somewhat* regular basis, about one a week. I was celebrating the fact that the day ended in "y":). I also dig the Padron anniversary series. Never had one in maduro though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    you should really stop that mail order prostitution gig you have going on .....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I was celebrating the fact that the day ended in "y":). .
    Good cause to celebrate if you ask me...I think I'll go celebrate that one a third time today.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    you should really stop that mail order prostitution gig you have going on .....

HA!
  • Options
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TONY !!! Its wednesday right ? Have a good one buddy ...
  • Options
    Yep, tomorrow night. Four years man, happy as we have ever been. Thanks for the well-wishes!
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Yep, tomorrow night. Four years man, happy as we have ever been. Thanks for the well-wishes!
    Congrats man! My one year aniversary is coming up on the 31st of this month so as long as she doesn't kill me between now and then I'll be alright! haha
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Four Years ? My wife and I have had fights that lasted longer than that !! ( just kidding ) Congratulations to you both. I'm at 21 years now..