Home General Discussion

Cigars...Pipes....When will you

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Start to cater to the Hookah? Big money in that ish right now....

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    When I grow dreads and think that DubStep is the best form of music. Maybe I'm being stereotypical, but I also don't know much about them.

But honestly, what can you do out of a Hookah, that you can't do out of a pipe? I'm honestly curious, is it only the multiple smokers that is the difference?

Plus, a hookah just has some crazy negative connotations for me.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    When I grow dreads and think that DubStep is the best form of music. Maybe I'm being stereotypical, but I also don't know much about them.

But honestly, what can you do out of a Hookah, that you can't do out of a pipe? I'm honestly curious, is it only the multiple smokers that is the difference?

I agree w/ lassie. Hookah for me is like... I dunno. Not even comparable to cigars
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    the way that the tobacco is cured and flavored is a huge difference. the cooling of the smoke makes a big difference.
    how long it lasts and how many people can share in the experience.

i just think the culture of the pipe/cigar world is very different than that of the hooka world. yes, there is some crossover but its not the same culture in general.

if this was music i could state it like this:
    people that like the Beatles and the Stones have a very different type of culture than those who like Mastodon, Big Business, Slayer.
    yes there are people that like both styles but that is a limited number of people.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:
    the way that the tobacco is cured and flavored is a huge difference. the cooling of the smoke makes a big difference.
    how long it lasts and how many people can share in the experience.

i just think the culture of the pipe/cigar world is very different than that of the hooka world. yes, there is some crossover but its not the same culture in general.

if this was music i could state it like this:
    people that like the Beatles and the Stones have a very different type of culture than those who like Mastodon, Big Business, Slayer.
    yes there are people that like both styles but that is a limited number of people.
    Please tell me cigars are the Mastodon, Slayer fans.

• deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Lasabar:

Wow on almost everyword in your post. A hookah is not for weed, never has been. It's been around for hundreds of years, tell that old man in Egypt that he should have dreads and listen to some beats. A hookah is a great way to socialize or also known here as a herf. Most real hookah lovers have a ritual...such as cigar smokers and pipe smokers.

it comes in many flavors everything from cottoncandy to Carmel latte. Can last for hours depending on the size of your bowl and how many people you are smoking with. The tobacco is "marinated" in usually a molasses based liquid with flavoring added (to sum it up quickly). The tobacco is not touched by flame but it is cooked realizing the smoke...while smoking it if you don't have a dog **** of a tobacco it will taste like you are eating whatever flavor your smoking.

anywho...just figured I would make this thread to see what the big wigs thought because ALL the other hookah forums suck
    Sorry for double post but wouldn't let me edit from phone. Aside from the other forums suckIng sweating mo key balls, you selling it would be great. Another thing to add to your list of things you do better than everyone else
    deejmemixx:
    Lasabar:

Wow on almost everyword in your post. A hookah is not for weed, never has been. It's been around for hundreds of years, tell that old man in Egypt that he should have dreads and listen to some beats. A hookah is a great way to socialize or also known here as a herf. Most real hookah lovers have a ritual...such as cigar smokers and pipe smokers.

it comes in many flavors everything from cottoncandy to Carmel latte. Can last for hours depending on the size of your bowl and how many people you are smoking with. The tobacco is "marinated" in usually a molasses based liquid with flavoring added (to sum it up quickly). The tobacco is not touched by flame but it is cooked realizing the smoke...while smoking it if you don't have a dog **** of a tobacco it will taste like you are eating whatever flavor your smoking.

anywho...just figured I would make this thread to see what the big wigs thought because ALL the other hookah forums suck
    I can say I'm now intrigued to try Hookah. I honestly don't think I'll like the sweet stuff and would want more just plain tobacco out of it. But it still just has some weird little asterisk to it. I think that the culture of Hookah has been ruined by many that DO have the weed and burnout mentality. I'm sure it was/is a very different device and was intended for different things, but it now forever has an asterisk on it.

It's hard to pinpoint it but the best example I can come up with is that if I was in line for a promotion at my job and someone would ask me if they wanted my boss to know I smoked Hookah I would say NO. Not that it IS bad or only means evil things, but I would rather him know I smoke cigars over a hookah.

Like I said, I'm very interested to try it, but if I ever bought one I would not let my mother see it when she comes to visit from Florida
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Lasabar:

While I won't argue any point you made here, it undercuts it seriously that they were used very heavily to smoke not only hashish but opium. That kind of stigma is hard to shed and it's going to probably take more than a few amazing ambassadors for the hobby to do it. You've got me interested too though, so perhaps you'd do well as one of those ambassadors.

It's not like cigars are entirely without their negative stigmas either. When I'm walking around or at a party with one, I always leave the band on so no one thinks I'm smoking a blunt, which happens fairly often with coronas and lanceros. When a police car rolls by as I'm walking around, I purposefully hold it in a way that s/he can see the band. Oh yeah, and then the cancer/cigarette thing.

So I'm behind you on this, but don't be surprised by the resistance you'll meet.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Lasabar:
    deejmemixx:
    Lasabar:

I can say I'm now intrigued to try Hookah. I honestly don't think I'll like the sweet stuff and would want more just plain tobacco out of it. But it still just has some weird little asterisk to it. I think that the culture of Hookah has been ruined by many that DO have the weed and burnout mentality. I'm sure it was/is a very different device and was intended for different things, but it now forever has an asterisk on it.

It's hard to pinpoint it but the best example I can come up with is that if I was in line for a promotion at my job and someone would ask me if they wanted my boss to know I smoked Hookah I would say NO. Not that it IS bad or only means evil things, but I would rather him know I smoke cigars over a hookah.

Like I said, I'm very interested to try it, but if I ever bought one I would not let my mother see it when she comes to visit from Florida
    You should really try it, I understand the negative crap with it, but as Ken said there is something negative to anything tobacco related, and so on. I have turned in the upwards of 50 people that stuck their nose up to it, and some of them even went out and bought their own! I have a fellow cigar.com member to thank for my love of hookah/shisha, and that would be Goldy (not seen around...anyone know if he is doing ok?) All things considered, it is well worth a try and I bet, you will like the flavors as it is NOTHING like an infused cigar in any way shape or form.
  • josiahcoljosiahcol Posts: 70
    I have tried Hookah a few times and honestly i don't mind it at all, in fact i would recommend anyone to give it a shot at least one time. I don't think i would ever own one or anything like that but it is interesting especally with the totally different host of flavors you can get. For anyone out there who has not tried it i agree with deejmemixx and say give it a shot, it is a totally different exparience and again i completly agree its nothing like an infused cigar. If you don't know of anyone that owns one for you to give it a shot you can google it and i bet you will find a hookah bar somewhere in your city (if your city is anything like up here in MN) we have at least 4 or 5 places up here where you can go try it out. I think it would be really interesting to hear from anyone who has never tried it before and gave it a shot on what your thoughts were.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    josiahcol:
    I have tried Hookah a few times and honestly i don't mind it at all, in fact i would recommend anyone to give it a shot at least one time. I don't think i would ever own one or anything like that but it is interesting especally with the totally different host of flavors you can get. For anyone out there who has not tried it i agree with deejmemixx and say give it a shot, it is a totally different exparience and again i completly agree its nothing like an infused cigar. If you don't know of anyone that owns one for you to give it a shot you can google it and i bet you will find a hookah bar somewhere in your city (if your city is anything like up here in MN) we have at least 4 or 5 places up here where you can go try it out. I think it would be really interesting to hear from anyone who has never tried it before and gave it a shot on what your thoughts were.
    i agree 100%

but that is also why i said that the cultures are very different. they are not like infused cigars. infused cigars are more like non-infused cigars than they are like a hooka. ill go so far as to say a pipe is closer to a non-infused cigar than a hooka.
  • jswaykosjswaykos Posts: 53
    I like hookah/shisha quite a bit thought it's been years since I've had it. Even hardened, staunch non-smokers have enjoyed a hookah with me! I used to own one/smoke one all the time but sold it before I moved out here. I just got tired of dealing with it - cleaning, switching out water, the coal... more enjoyable for me to go out and have all the prep work done for me at a lounge - and there are many of them out here. It's big in some of the prominent cultures of my town. Plus, it's obviously not as portable as a pipe or cigar, which is a negative for me. All this talk has me in the mood for some shisha though, haha! Maybe I'll take a trip to a nearby lounge on a lunch break this week.
    jswaykos:
    I like hookah/shisha quite a bit thought it's been years since I've had it. Even hardened, staunch non-smokers have enjoyed a hookah with me! I used to own one/smoke one all the time but sold it before I moved out here. I just got tired of dealing with it - cleaning, switching out water, the coal... more enjoyable for me to go out and have all the prep work done for me at a lounge - and there are many of them out here. It's big in some of the prominent cultures of my town. Plus, it's obviously not as portable as a pipe or cigar, which is a negative for me. All this talk has me in the mood for some shisha though, haha! Maybe I'll take a trip to a nearby lounge on a lunch break this week.
    Two things...
    1. With all the work you described I can tell you 100% I will never own a Hookah

2. Whale's ****
  • jswaykosjswaykos Posts: 53
    Lasabar:
    jswaykos:
    Two things...
    1. With all the work you described I can tell you 100% I will never own a Hookah

2. Whale's ****
    1) I think it means, "Saint Diego." 2) I suppose it wasn't THAT big a deal to get ready, but it's nowhere near as low maintenance as a cigar. But what is? Even pipes require a little work. But still, I'd just as rather go to a hookah lounge, pay the $10 or whatever, and have the whole thing served to me, ready to smoke... and let them clean it up!
    Lasabar:
    jswaykos:
    Two things...

2. Whale's ****
    it is no real work.... put water in vase, put flavor in bowl, cover with tinfoil.. poke your hold pattern start the coals.. puff and exhale