Home Cigar 101

My First Undercrown

robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
I have to say for my first not infused cigar from drew estates, I was impressed how great this cigar was. The only issue I had was near the end of the smoke it got harder to pull. Is this common with the undercrown, cuase I really like these smokes.

Comments

• bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed it. I smoked a couple undercrowns a week and have not had a similar experience. Maybe a tar build up. I think it was an anomaly with that particular stick.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    That's good to hear, cause I picked that up at the local B&M and will get some more.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had a few in the last week or so too Rob and all mine smoked to the nub with no issues. Flawless burn and LOTS of smoke. I took my time with it tho. The first one I ever had I smoked a little to quick and it kicked my face in. I am still missing teeth.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS. I still have my Viva! How are those compared to the other Vitolas? I was also told its a new blend because they can't sustain the old blend... is that true?
    I smoked the viva, and I have another one left I believe it's the corona doble
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    PS. I still have my Viva! How are those compared to the other Vitolas? I was also told its a new blend because they can't sustain the old blend... is that true?
    The viva is the same blend just a little stronger.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    i have not had a viva yet but I would say from previous expereince corona size cigar's are stronger than there larger counterparts and that might be why.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I have had the Viva, the robusto and the Gran Toro and I must say that, while I typically prefer corona sized cigars, this one shines in the Gran Toro to me. FYI, the one I smoked last night had about 8 months on it, and they are getting real nice over time! I've probably had 30 or 40 of these since they've come out and I really really enjoy them!
    Gaetano7890:
    i have not had a viva yet but I would say from previous expereince corona size cigar's are stronger than there larger counterparts and that might be why.
    That is true but it was also made a little stronger on purpose. Not alot though.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I def will have to try some then.
    Steve Saka:
    Corona ¡Viva! – 5 5/8 x 46 – slightly tweaked blend to increase the octane just a wee bit… did this figuring the guys most likely to desire this format are those with more experience and would desire a slightly stronger cigar (ME… lol) Keep in mind though the tweak keeps the UC blend intact, we didn’t want to overshadow the natural sweetness or the creaminess of the core UC, so this is minor adjustment that I suspect many may not even notice. We probably won’t even tell people… at least formally.
  • SpoiledlizSpoiledliz Posts: 5
    Good to know.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    JHewey:
    Steve Saka:
    Corona ¡Viva! – 5 5/8 x 46 – slightly tweaked blend to increase the octane just a wee bit… did this figuring the guys most likely to desire this format are those with more experience and would desire a slightly stronger cigar (ME… lol) Keep in mind though the tweak keeps the UC blend intact, we didn’t want to overshadow the natural sweetness or the creaminess of the core UC, so this is minor adjustment that I suspect many may not even notice. We probably won’t even tell people… at least formally.
    thanks for digging that up and posting that, this good info.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    robertgreen30:
    The only issue I had was near the end of the smoke it got harder to pull. Is this common with the undercrown, cuase I really like these smokes.
    it isnt common with the undercrown but it is understandable from many cigars. near the head is where the bunchers hold the bunch before the binder goes on. while holding, if the pressure is not perfect, it can effect the draw. this can become clear when you add heat and the tobacco expands.
    kuzi16:
    robertgreen30:
    The only issue I had was near the end of the smoke it got harder to pull. Is this common with the undercrown, cuase I really like these smokes.
    it isnt common with the undercrown but it is understandable from many cigars. near the head is where the bunchers hold the bunch before the binder goes on. while holding, if the pressure is not perfect, it can effect the draw. this can become clear when you add heat and the tobacco expands.
    Thanks for the info Kuzi. I liked the undercrown alot and was hoping it wasn't the cigars that were like that. I'm gonna have to grab some more. Thanks, Rob
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Vision:
    I talked to j drew at a recent event and he just mentioned that undercrown was using left over tobacco from the liga line. Specifically the binder, I believe, was 5 years old when they first started making the blend and that supply of older leaf is gone/almost gone, hence the whole line may smoke a littler different w/o rest pretty soon even if it's the same blend. Time shall tell but I prefer the t52 so I don't have a stock of undercrown to tell the difference. The ratzilla is awesome though! ;)