Home Non Cigar Related

do movies/books/music/etc have an effect on your daily life?

taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
My question to you is do you think that movies/books/music/etc have an effect on your daily life? I have been crazy irritable today, and it took me hours to realize that before i went to sleep last night and for a little while today ive been reading a book that has had me on edge. Because of the book I have not had a productive day at all today. Anybody else?

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watch about 2 hours of TV a week. I read only online like forums and blogs. But I ALWAYS have music going. At home, in the car, outside while smoking always music. Always positive stuff or electronic (And I do like Dub Step... NO SKRILLIX CR4P THO). I would like to think I am a happy guy so maybe my music does have an effect on me... or is it Affect?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    I watch about 2 hours of TV a week. I read only online like forums and blogs. But I ALWAYS have music going. At home, in the car, outside while smoking always music. Always positive stuff or electronic (And I do like Dub Step... NO SKRILLIX CR4P THO). I would like to think I am a happy guy so maybe my music does have an effect on me... or is it Affect?
    Affect.

Well, affect what I am doing or how I am feeling?
    Everything affects what we are doing. But I don't allow things to bother me.
    If I did, books, TV and movies would be the least of the things that would affect me that way.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    As a musician and a former literature major, absolutely.
    Light 'em up.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Effect is a noun, affect is a verb. So something can have an effect on you, or affect you.

To make matters more difficult, though, affect is also a noun in psychology, and it means your overall mood. So something can have an effect on your affect, or even affect your affect.

And to answer the original question, most definitely.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Music is a must! But I hardly watch T.V. For some reason I'm fascinated with the obituaries in the newspaper...probably because I'm old!! Damn...
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    It is A great portion of my life as I find myself in bed more days than out.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    This question got me to thinking about some of the books and music that have greatly influenced the outcome of my world view, which has a constant affect on my daily life. Some of these books offered viewpoints that I have embraced, others have illustrated clearly that which I have rejected.

Here's the short list:

The New Testament

The Rise & Fall of The Third Reich; William Shirer

The Genealogy of Morality; Friedrich Nietzche

Mere Christianity; C S Lewis

Atlas Shrugged; Ayan Rand

Principles of Biology; Herbert Spencer

No Exit; Jean Paul Sartre

Ten Days that Shook the World; Jack Reed

It Can't Happen Here, Babbitt, Main St.; Sinclair Lewis

The Grapes of Wrath; Steinbeck

Huckleberry Finn; Mark Twain

The Music of:

Woodie Gutherie, Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, John Lennon
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    JDH:
    This question got me to thinking about some of the books and music that have greatly influenced the outcome of my world view, which has a constant affect on my daily life. Some of these books offered viewpoints that I have embraced, others have illustrated clearly that which I have rejected.

Here's the short list:

The New Testament

The Rise & Fall of The Third Reich; William Shirer

The Genealogy of Morality; Friedrich Nietzche

Mere Christianity; C S Lewis

Atlas Shrugged; Ayan Rand

Principles of Biology; Herbert Spencer

No Exit; Jean Paul Sartre

Ten Days that Shook the World; Jack Reed

It Can't Happen Here, Babbitt, Main St.; Sinclair Lewis

The Grapes of Wrath; Steinbeck

Huckleberry Finn; Mark Twain

The Music of:

Woodie Gutherie, Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, John Lennon
    I agree that "Principles of Biology " book is riveting. LOL
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Actually, that book changed my life. In it, Spencer applied Darwinist Evolutionary theory to Capitalist Economic theory, coined the phrase "survival of the fittest" in economic terms, and invented Social Darwinism, which is the premis of Ayan Rand's economic outlook. Mr. Spencer is also "credited" with having said, during the Great Famine in Ireland in the mid 1840's, "When the poor die, society is benefited."

The book itself is as dry as the Sonora desert, but some of the ideas I found there were shattering, and fundamentally altered my view of economics.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I find that my daily life is FILLED with quotes from all the asinine stuff I watch/read...

It doesn't really effect my life as to ruin my day, but I have had whole conversations with people by not having an original thought/word come out of my mouth.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I find that my daily life is FILLED with quotes from all the asinine stuff I watch/read...

It doesn't really effect my life as to ruin my day, but I have had whole conversations with people by not having an original thought/word come out of my mouth.
    what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Pet sounds=xanax
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Okay.....
    A simple "Wrong" would have done just fine...
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    this guy is a mean person.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

Okay.....
    This agression against Kuwait....it will not stand

Got any good sasparilla?
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

Okay.....
    Guess you missed my hilarious Billy Madison reference...i was being ironic since my mind also is filled with asinine movie quotes.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

Okay.....
    Guess you missed my hilarious Billy Madison reference...i was being ironic since my mind also is filled with asinine movie quotes.
    LOL, you're slipping Lassie. I'm not sure if I like this new and improved mature and responsible Lassie. Come on dude, there's always room for copius amounts of miller lite and fart jokes. Trust me, I know.

On a related note, I can relate virtually every thing that happens in my life to a Seinfeld episode. I have had entire conversations with people doing nothing but quoting or referencing Seinfeld episodes.
    Luko:
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

Okay.....
    AHA! My good sir, what I have typed is EXACTLY what Billy Madison DID say after he got that response! YOU, SIR, are the one who is slipping! BOOOOOOOOM
    Heavy:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

Okay.....
    LOL, you're slipping Lassie. I'm not sure if I like this new and improved mature and responsible Lassie. Come on dude, there's always room for copius amounts of miller lite and fart jokes. Trust me, I know.

On a related note, I can relate virtually every thing that happens in my life to a Seinfeld episode. I have had entire conversations with people doing nothing but quoting or referencing Seinfeld episodes.
    Hey there... I was still in "Quote" mode when I said that... C'Mon guys, if you're gonna dance with the Devil, AT LEAST wear your dancing shoes!
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Heavy:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

Okay.....

Hey there... I was still in "Quote" mode when I said that... C'Mon guys, if you're gonna dance with the Devil, AT LEAST wear your dancing shoes!
    "Lasabar!" (said with a clinched fist as Jerry would say "Newman!" after he's been had")
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    My question to you is do you think that movies/books/music/etc have an effect on your daily life? I have been crazy irritable today, and it took me hours to realize that before i went to sleep last night and for a little while today ive been reading a book that has had me on edge. Because of the book I have not had a productive day at all today. Anybody else?
    I would say that everything has an effect on my daily life.

Books, movies, TV shows, news articles, etc. all play a role in shaping my (and everyone's) values, ideas, and opinions which define who we are.
    Whether for better or worse, everything we experience has an effect on us - it's just to what extent it affects us.

(Tried to use affect/effect as best as I could. Still not entirely sure how to use the two words but I usually refer to this comic, from the oatmeal, when in doubt.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Lasabar:
    Heavy:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Lasabar:

Okay.....

Don't I feel like the **** ***.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I'm always blasting music.

Oh, and in case you guys were wondering... It's Nudie Magazine day...
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Have 12 daiquiris?
    Light 'em up.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Lasabar:
    What is this the 80s?