Home Non Cigar Related
Options

boots

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
so...
for a while now i have been toying with the idea of getting some cowboy boots. just something basic, nothing flashy but i think i do want steel tips and heels.

one big problem...
i have no idea where to start and im on a budget. (i mean i do need to buy cigars too)
thoughts?
how do i know a quality boot? what should i avoid?
whats reasonable?

Comments

• Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Redwings are great boots! Think you can get them in steel tip also!
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    love my redwing work boots.. unfortunatly with my feet I can't wear a pointed toe boot. So no cowboy boots for me
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out Tony Lama or Justin boots. I've worn and love both.
  • Options
    im aiming a bit more to the dressier side. kinda what im aiming for:

add a steel tip and heel and i may be happy with that. I just know so little that i dont wanna get a crappy pair and over pay for it.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Timberlands fo sho
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Had a pair of Tony Lama crap out after a year... Still have a pair of Ariats 10 years later. Never put a pair of luchesse on....it will cost you.
  • Options
    Also check out Dan Post boots!
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Check out Tony Lama or Justin boots. I've worn and love both.
    What Marty said. Also you may want to take a look at Ariat boots.
  • Options
    armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    Look into ROPER. My neighbor was a rep for them, most comfortable boot Ive worn. They have several styles to. your typical boot, or ones with some style, or as Jiunn would say steeeeeze
  • Options
  • Options
    am i the only person here (or anywhere for that matter) that likes the steel tips and heels?
    i dont see them anywhere
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    am i the only person here (or anywhere for that matter) that likes the steel tips and heels?
    i dont see them anywhere
    What do you mean by heels? Got pics?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i dont see them anywhere
    Curious as to why you want steel tips? Are these for dress, or work? How much time to you plan on being in them
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Timberlands fo sho
    +1. Work boots that is. Had mine for over 5 yrs now.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    i dont see them anywhere
    What do you mean by heels? Got pics?
    yup

sorry... they are "heel guards" and are after market... that explains why i didnt find em. not lookin in the right place.
    catfishbluezz:
    kuzi16:
    i dont see them anywhere
    Curious as to why you want steel tips? Are these for dress, or work? How much time to you plan on being in them
    they will never see work of any kind. just something to wear out whilel getting a beer with friends. as a replacement for a casual shoe or "dress sneaker"
    jeans, boots, dress shirt.
  • Options
    i already own timberlands for work boots.... im not looking for work boots at all.
  • Options
    Having had quite a few pair of cowboy boots, I'd advise against the steel tips then!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Having had quite a few pair of cowboy boots, I'd advise against the steel tips then!
    why is that?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    why is that?
    For one, weight. It might not seem like much but it will be noticeable. Also, from my experience, they are more expensive. And, you want the leather to conform to your feet, and the steel tip won't give any. Lastly, (don't know for sure) I would assume that the steel tip versions won't be as "pointy" and won't give that classic cowboy look. Just my take!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    why is that?
    For one, weight. It might not seem like much but it will be noticeable. Also, from my experience, they are more expensive. And, you want the leather to conform to your feet, and the steel tip won't give any. Lastly, (don't know for sure) I would assume that the steel tip versions won't be as "pointy" and won't give that classic cowboy look. Just my take!
    ya see... this is what im talking about. i didnt know that crap and i never woulda thought of it on my own.
    if this isnt what i get then it is damn close: CLICK

now what about sizing? anything i should know ?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    why is that?
    ya see... this is what im talking about. i didnt know that crap and i never woulda thought of it on my own.

Those are sweet bro! I have a pair of Dan Post very similar. As far as sizing suggestions, just be sure to budget for what ever kind of sock you plan on wearing. You definitely dont want them to be too big because it will tear your foot all to he77. Also, you don't want them to be too narrow or your foot will bulge out the sides and it detracts from the look. My suggestion would be to find them in a store and try them on there first and then you can buy them online if it is less expensive!
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    why is that?

The Ariats are very comfy to wear for a significant amoutn of time. If the ozombie apocalypse came, I'd take my Ariats, Levi's, Wrangler shirts, Glock, and Remington. For sizing, make sure you try them on before you buy. I wear three different sizes in three brands. And doc is right about the tips and weight...not comfy, and does not help the break in. If you can afford it, buy Luchesse.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    x2 on actually trying them on before you buy them, ive worn everything from 12-15 in different boots, currently i have a pair of justin work boots in 14, they are nice, and ive had other justins before that ive really liked. I wish i could afford more expensive boots but the $80 i paid for these are at the top of my acceptable price range.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always been fond of Durango's. Justin and Ariat, as mentioned above are supposed to be good, Dan Post. As for the tips, I know that the Boot Store where I buy mine will dress them up with those kinds of things if that's what you're looking for. Triy 'em on, then pick out the "jewelry" you like, come back the next day and they're ready.

Remember, cowboy boots aren't modern. You should expect to have to break them in. I suggest that you ignore the advice: "stand in them in a tub full of water" (which you're sure to receive) the same way I suggest to ignore the advice: "never touch the front brake, it'll throw you over the handlebars" when learning to ride a motorcycle. Some legends never die, no matter how dumb.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    I've always been fond of Durango's. Justin and Ariat, as mentioned above are supposed to be good, Dan Post. As for the tips, I know that the Boot Store where I buy mine will dress them up with those kinds of things if that's what you're looking for. Triy 'em on, then pick out the "jewelry" you like, come back the next day and they're ready.

Remember, cowboy boots aren't modern. You should expect to have to break them in. I suggest that you ignore the advice: "stand in them in a tub full of water" (which you're sure to receive) the same way I suggest to ignore the advice: "never touch the front brake, it'll throw you over the handlebars" when learning to ride a motorcycle. Some legends never die, no matter how dumb.
    seems that soaking them in water would ruin them. if they fit they will break in over time. ive had plenty of boots that hurt like hell the first week i have em but then will last for 5-10 years of daily wear and be the most comfortable thing ever. thanks guys for the input. now its time to go shopping.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    catfishbluezz:
    Had a pair of Tony Lama crap out after a year... Still have a pair of Ariats 10 years later. Never put a pair of luchesse on....it will cost you.
    Exactly my thoughts. I like my Ariats, very comfortable. I wear them in winter with warm sox,and my feet feel great. Every pair of Tony Lama boots I've ever had weren't comfortable boots for me - they look good - but they didn't feel good. I made the mistake of trying on a pair of Luchesse ostrich boots once - it was like sliding my feet into butter - but the $$$$ made me back off. Find a good boot store that carries top quality, and buy local. Cowboy boots that fit well are a pleasure to wear, but ill fitting boots can ruin your day. I've bought several pairs from Sheplers in Austin, and never had any problems.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double H boots. They have something special in the sole. Comfiest thing ever.

Cowboys don't wear pointy toe boots. Much less steel toes. Much less high heels. That's humbug.

Get your boots half a size large. That way, there's more air in there to keep you cool in summer, more air to keep you warm in winter, and they're easier to pull on and off. Don't worry -- because they are boots, they stay on even big. It's the shank keeps the boot on.

Forget about lace up boots like RedWings. You want loose round your ankles for comfort and to keep the blood flowing. Lace up boots get cold as crap in winter. No blood is why. And if you add up all the extra time you spend lacing and tying over just yanking them on... ell, you'd prolly have enough time left over to wait for a woman to stop talking.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    JDH:
    catfishbluezz:
    Exactly my thoughts. I like my Ariats, very comfortable. I wear them in winter with warm sox,and my feet feel great. Every pair of Tony Lama boots I've ever had weren't comfortable boots for me - they look good - but they didn't feel good. I made the mistake of trying on a pair of Luchesse ostrich boots once - it was like sliding my feet into butter - but the $$$$ made me back off. Find a good boot store that carries top quality, and buy local. Cowboy boots that fit well are a pleasure to wear, but ill fitting boots can ruin your day. I've bought several pairs from Sheplers in Austin, and never had any problems.
    Butter is right...got killed on mine, but they are my favorite boots
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Double H boots. They have something special in the sole. Comfiest thing ever.

Also, they're made in the USA
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    kuzi16:
    so...
    for a while now i have been toying with the idea of getting some cowboy boots. just something basic, nothing flashy but i think i do want steel tips and heels.

one big problem...
    i have no idea where to start and im on a budget. (i mean i do need to buy cigars too)
    thoughts?
    how do i know a quality boot? what should i avoid?
    whats reasonable?
    Kuzi, I'm no boot expert, but from what I gather they're alot like cigars. More $$ doens't always mean better, but for the most part you get what you pay for.

As for cowboy boots, I have a pair of Ariats square toe, and I love em. comfy, look right, and I've had em for 2 years now and they still look brand new. I also have a few pairs of HD riding boots, since I ride.

I spent a bunch on a pair of harley boots, from a dealership 12 years ago, and I still ride in them. They have that cross over, kinda cowboy, kinda biker boot look, and I love em. I've gotten some replacements that we're cheaper and everything just ended up being returned and 12 years later I still ride inmy original boots.

So look around zappos, and boot barn have good selections to browse online so you know what your getting, but I would definitely recomend once you figure out what you like, find a local boot barn, or equivalent and try them on live. Ariat, Justin and durango are good traditional cowboy boots, but also with the style your looking at for you might want to browse the Harley section as well.

Hope this helps