Home Cigar 101

First Cigar

Greetings. My name's Jason, and I just got a raise, so I felt entitled to a celebratory cigar. I went online to find the best one that they recommend, but there are such broad tastes out there that my search left me with more questions than answers. Thus, I went to a cigar shop and asked. I have never smoked a cigar and the last time I smoked a cigarette was at 15, I never picked up the habit.

The man recommended a Padron 1964 Anniversary Edition Diplomatico. He said that it's not too strong and that it was amazingly smooth and enjoyable. However, I went to get a second opinion at a different store and they said that the Padron line was nicotine heavy and that I may get nauseated, were I to smoke it. They recommended several different cigars from companies such as Romeo y Juliet, Montechristo, and something else that was aged 10 years with a Cameroon leaf.

My question is this, what should it be? Cost is no matter because I'm celebrating.

Comments

• VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Given its your first cigar, and given you're not prone to smoking ever, i think you're in a 'better safe than sorry' situation by going with a milder blend as opposed to a fuller blend. Quality is independent of the strength of the cigar, so no worries.

Now that being said..here is what i suggest for milds in order of preference.

Ashton Classic
    Ghurka Symphony
    Romeo y Juliet Reserva Real

I think choosing any one of those will be pretty much what you're looking for. Quality that you can enjoy without cigar smoking experience.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Vidarien:
    Given its your first cigar, and given you're not prone to smoking ever, i think you're in a 'better safe than sorry' situation by going with a milder blend as opposed to a fuller blend. Quality is independent of the strength of the cigar, so no worries.

Now that being said..here is what i suggest for milds in order of preference.

Ashton Classic
    Ghurka Symphony
    Romeo y Juliet Reserva Real

I think choosing any one of those will be pretty much what you're looking for. Quality that you can enjoy without cigar smoking experience.
    I agree. Good choices all.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Since you are a novice so to speak, you could also try a Rocky Patel Vintage 1999, good mild smoke, shouldn't knock you on your butt.

"Long ashes my friends."

• SweetnLowSweetnLow Posts: 28
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll ask about them at the local shop. Have a nice day.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cao america is a very good cigar. Also try 5 vegas gold. most shops should carry a cao america... out of all the ones mentioned that is my favorit. it's not super mild but not super strong...
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I completely agree on the Ashton Classic as it's an incredibly smooth flavorful cigar and still very mild. However, I wouldn't say not to go with the Padron 64. That's an incredible smoke and as long as you eat something hearty (steak, pasta, etc) before smoking, you should be ok. The Padron 26's are a bit stronger and I don't think I'd recommend those to a newbie. Just my 2 cents.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Ashton VSG's are also worth noting...
    I think I've heard enough about the CAO America that it warrants a purchase. I still want to try the Padron, if only because the name Padron sounds very executive and exudes class. With any luck, I will enjoy my cigar experience and I'll keep trying out new kinds.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I just had my first America a few minutes ago, you won't go wrong there. If it isn't my favorite CAO, it is at least in the top three, with the MX2 and CX2. Padrons are also very good smokes, either way I'm sure you will be happy.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Of all the cigars mentioned, my pick would be the Padron '64, I think it is a very excellent cigar. Personally, I'll never buy anything CAO again, I've had nothing but disappointment from those cigars. That's not saying you shouldn't buy one, just me talking trash on the brand. :) Hmm...maybe a La Aurora Preferido would be worth looking into as well.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Hmm...maybe a La Aurora Preferido would be worth looking into as well.
    Another favorite of mine. Good call.
  • ArgusArgus Posts: 12

Folks, I may be wrong, but isn't the CAO American one of the strongest cigars they make?  Isn't that a little on the potent side for a noob?  Don't want the dude turning green and hurl'n during his first smoke. Ick! [+o(]

You know, I have 5 in the humi that I was saving for the 4th.  Now I'm going to have to try one, leaving me only 4 for the 4th.  Happy now? Wink [;)]

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    They list it as full bodied, but I'd lean over toward the medium side. The finish is really nice on that cigar, it's actually a pretty good stick for a noob.
    Please tell me what you think after you try the CAO, Argus.

I'm surprised that there isn't any single cigar that people can agree is mild and excellent. Then again, people can't agree on the best way to make a steak, so I suppose this isn't too far fetched. I appreciate all of the feedback that I'm getting.

I figure I still have time, my wife and I are going out to dinner in celebration of my raise on Saturday, so I have until then to decide. Until then, keep giving me suggestions to keep me indecisive. Thanks!

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Argus:

Folks, I may be wrong, but isn't the CAO American one of the strongest cigars they make?  Isn't that a little on the potent side for a noob?  Don't want the dude turning green and hurl'n during his first smoke. Ick! [+o(]

You know, I have 5 in the humi that I was saving for the 4th.  Now I'm going to have to try one, leaving me only 4 for the 4th.  Happy now? Wink [;)]

It is more of a medium-bodied smoke. I think the MX2 is much stronger, not to mention the LX2.

SweetnLow:
    I'm surprised that there isn't any single cigar that people can agree is mild and excellent. Then again, people can't agree on the best way to make a steak, so I suppose this isn't too far fetched. I appreciate all of the feedback that I'm getting.
    Alot of people will agree on some excellent mild cigars, Ashton has been mentioned several times, as well as Gurkha Symphony and a few others. I think it is more of people listing their personal favorite mild cigars. Mine is a Carlos Torano Casa Torano, but it isn't really a high-end stick. Ccom has a mild sampler here: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGTP4 that would be a good way to start, but if you only want one cigar, it is gonna be hard to choose. There is no "best cigar", it all depends on personal taste. Pick up a few, you might find you like them enough to make it a regular thing.

Now you folks have me dissapointed as I was expecting The American to be full bodied.  Guess I should have tried one before posting.  Well they do look purty in the glass top.

Sweet,

Sorry, got caught up with an AB Harvest Select and an A. Fernandez Sig last night, and forgot all about this thread.  I'll try to smoke the CAO tonight, and report back, but I'm sure if the others say it's a great smoke, then you can believe them.  Haven't yet had a CAO I didnt' like.  Keep in mind that even though I'm still a noob (3 months & about 250 cigars), I do have an iron stomach and never experienced the "cigar sickness" that some others have.  I have many times smoked Camachos and other powerhouse cigars on an empty stomach and never had a problem.  Guess I'm blessed.

David

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Argus:

Now you folks have me dissapointed as I was expecting The American to be full bodied.  Guess I should have tried one before posting.  Well they do look purty in the glass top.

Sweet,

Sorry, got caught up with an AB Harvest Select and an A. Fernandez Sig last night, and forgot all about this thread.  I'll try to smoke the CAO tonight, and report back, but I'm sure if the others say it's a great smoke, then you can believe them.  Haven't yet had a CAO I didnt' like.  Keep in mind that even though I'm still a noob (3 months & about 250 cigars), I do have an iron stomach and never experienced the "cigar sickness" that some others have.  I have many times smoked Camachos and other powerhouse cigars on an empty stomach and never had a problem.  Guess I'm blessed.

David

Spark up a Joyo de Nicaragua Antano or Gurkha triple Ligero first thing in the morning without getting queasy and i'll be impressed:)

Jetmech_63:

Spark up a Joyo de Nicaragua Antano or Gurkha triple Ligero first thing in the morning without getting queasy and i'll be impressed:)

I've had serveral Grukha TLs with no problem, but never first thing in the morning.  This is not a macho thing, just thankfully lucky thing.

David

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Jetmech_63:
    Argus:

Sweet,

David

I feel up to that challenge! :-)

SweetnLow:
    Please tell me what you think after you try the CAO, Argus.

The one I smoked tonight was a Potomac (short, fat format).  It had great flavor, very sweet, and medium body at the very most, BUT, it had the same problem I had with the CAO Gol, Ciao, and VR Moby.  It was wrapped so d*mn tight, that it was like smoking a rock.  Not plugged, just too tightly wrapped.  Not enjoyable at all.  Like trying to suck a triple thick milk shake through a straw.  I was only able to finish half of it and my jaw still hurts.  I don't know what format the others smoked.  Maybe a Bottlerocket or Constitution would have a better construction, but I can't recommend the Potomac.

Thankfully, I finished the evening with a Tatuaje Havana VI.  Darn fine cigar, but a little too powerful for a noob.

Starting to think that maybe a Rocky Patel Edge Lite may be the way to go.  Smooth, creamy, well made, delicious and should be had for just under $10.  This is the one that hooked me.

David