Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Some people make it hard to be nice.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Unfortunately, I seem to be one of those people that everyone comes to for help, to borrow things and all that. And even as gruff and I can be with people, they seem to think I am their best friend. Not sure I understand that.

Today, Missy (my wife) and I were going to Portland to pick up a one piece tub/enclosure for our main bathroom. It was a killer deal off craigslist and all that. So, since her little rig gets 24 mpg, I hooked up my trailer to it, which had just come back from some friends using it.

All I asked them to do was to make sure that they checked the wheel bearing grease when they used it.
Says the guy who didn't check them himself.

So off we go to make a 100 mile trip to Portland with the trailer to pick this thing up. I got 13 miles and blew one of the bearings out. So that killed the trip. I had to go get bearings, replace them and then when I checked the other side, it was bone dry of grease.

So $60 in bearings, grease and seals, having to replace the bearings in a parking lot and now having to do the other side and not making it to Portland to get the tub, I'm wondering why I allow myself into letting people borrow things from me. It never works out well and I end up pissed off.

Sorry, had to rant. LOL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Yep, sounds about right. :-)
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Yep, you get screwed helping people out!
  • Options
    Rail Jockey:
    Yep, you get screwed helping people out!

Perhaps not so much for helping people.
    That in itself is A truly noble act.
    The jest could also have been aimed at himself as well.
    Hence the irony of the situation.
    A fine rant my man.
    :-)
  • Options
    It just gets aggravating that I often want to be left alone and yet, they seem to come to me for everything.

And then, I get on folks about taking care of things and sure as anything, I get in a hurry and don't check it myself,
    KNOWING FULL WELL, that these idiots didn't check it.

So, while I am pissed at them, I'm as much pissed at myself, because I know better. It is what I do.

When you are the one who is looked to, to maintain things, it's embarrassing for folks to see you broke down. Especially in a small town, where every other car stops and knows you and wants to help.

Don't get me wrong. I do like to help people out, but there are often those ones who seem to be in constant need and don't understand how to take care of other people's stuff.

Problem is, on the flip side of that, I take friendship very seriously and most know I will go out of my way for them. It makes it a bit difficult. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I think you're confusing friendship with acquaintances; a man is lucky to have one real friend in his life, two is almost unheard of, three is impossible. Acquaintences just multiply like rabbits
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    What I would do in that case is just like you said: fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...Next time they ask for help just say "I have two words. One is 'off,' the other begins with 'F.'"
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    See if I borrowed your trailer I would have to ask you what a wheel bearing is cuz I have no clue lol.
  • Options
    Scarlin,
    I don't worry about it when they bring it back right away, but when it's gone for several weeks, I show them what to do and what to check. I try and be edumacating about it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only time in ten years that my little trailer got her bearings greased was when I lent it to a brother biker to tote his GoldWing to Florida and back. Didn't ask him to. Never thought of it. He just did it.

Some people make it easy to be nice.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an old adage in policework: "No good deed goes unpunished!"

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    When you are the one who is looked to, to maintain things, it's embarrassing for folks to see you broke down. Especially in a small town, where every other car stops and knows you and wants to help.
    Gotta stop that thinking, man, I'm sure they're not looking down on your for breaking down, they're glad for the opportunity to repay past favors. And if not, they suck, and f*** 'em.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    And then, I get on folks about taking care of things and sure as anything, I get in a hurry and don't check it myself, KNOWING FULL WELL, that these idiots didn't check it.

The ironic part.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    And then, I get on folks about taking care of things and sure as anything, I get in a hurry and don't check it myself, KNOWING FULL WELL, that these idiots didn't check it.

The ironic part.
    YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP! ROFL!!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: