Home Ratings & Reviews

San Latano Oval

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
So I finally had the Oval that had been resting for 9 months in my humidor.  I hesitate to review cigars as I cannot describe as some.  I do have 1500+ craft beer reviews to my name that I can stand by but cigars are a different animal for me despite the fact I've been smoking them since the mid 90's.

Anyhow here is my abbreviated San Latano Oval thoughts.  I know this has scored high in some ratings and I see why.  This was a perfect smoking night in northern MN...wife said she could smell it a 1/4 mile away while she walked the dog...as I sat on the back deck and smoked :).....smoke just lingered in the air...nice haze......perfect.

I found this to be very chocolate forward for most of the way and then very meaty....smoked meats...felt like I had a full meal by the end....no harshness all the way to the nub....burned and drew perfect....I liked it a lot but very filling on the palate..

Thoughts?  Feel free to correct me or disagree...no offense taken...this is just what I got out of it tonight...

Comments

• big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Same here I can't describe cigars but I know that the Oval is a great smoke if you like the oval you should try the oval maduro, tried it the other day and it's just as good to me if not maybe a little better
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. I had one right off the truck and it was good, had a few other chilling for about a year. Know what Im smoking tomorrow!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have a handful that have been sitting for about 10 months and I smoked one recently. I don't know if it was the night in general or not but I seem to remember that cigar packing some punch. Maybe a nicotine punch, for I remember it elevated my state of being while drinking a few Millers... GREAT cigar, just knocked me on my butt!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I got 2 each of regular and maduro coming today. Only had one before and it was tasty. Now I have 2 of each. One to smoke and one to age.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    That's what I said......... Ended up buying a box of robustos, lol
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    I got mine at Cigarfest and loved it. It's nice to get such a sample of sticks that I wouldn't normally buy.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    i love the oval. I've said this before. Its a toss up for me between the s. Latano habano and the oval. Have you tried the oval maduro yet?

"Long ashes my friends."

• tommie73tommie73 Posts: 15
    Looking forward to trying this one. I'm with you, can't really describe cigars sometimes...I either like them or I don't, easy enough.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the oval in the giant size, and I remember it being a great cigar. I got lots of sweet flavors out of that one, and I enjoyed every bit of it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America