Home Cigar 101
Options

Receiving cigars as gifts

2»

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Keep a humidor on your desk lol....they will definately talk with you about it and when its present time certainly look at what you keep in it!
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Nice haul!! I need for your office ladies to get with my wife!
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    havanaal:
    Come on JZ, one always takes a cigar gift with a smile, even if the giver is overweight, 72 years old, and toothless! Right?
    Good Point! LOL!!
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Drop some hints or leave your favorite bands on her desk...lol
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Hawk55:
    Drop some hints or leave your favorite bands on her desk...lol

HA! My wife wouldn't even look at them, she'd just pick them up and throw 'em away as fast as she could; catalogues, bands, even the cigars themselves would end up in the garbage. Needless to say, she hates that I smoke.
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Very cool.
    My birthday is coming up, and the new holiday ccom guide just showed up in my mail.

I cleaned up my desk last week, maybe I should clutter it up some the new catalogue....
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I should consider myself lucky. When the new ccom catalog came in, my wife asked that I circle several things I might like. She would get some of them and I would still be surprised because I wouldn't know which ones.

She doesn't mind my smoking, but I do not smoke in the house. She has asthma and is an ex-smoker. During the summer, she will sit outside with me while I smoke. The bad news is that winter is coming to the Northeast and my shed is not heated or insulated. My B & M does not have a lounge, although he says he is going to build one. I'll just have to stand up and smoke in his shop.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My wife also asked me yesterday to write down some cigars I dont have or would like to have and maybe a couple of other cigar related things as well ...I think its going to be a good christmas !!!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I have been sending links to cigar stuff to my fathers email, hopefully he gets the hint!
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    I just talked with my boss re: my 30th birthday coming up next month. I dropped cigar.com name a few times :)
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Good time for another update of this thread. Our office Christmas party was this weekend, and I got an Ashton Box from my staff (didn't know what was in it till I got it home). Jackpot! 4 GOF's, 2 ESG's, 2 Padron Family Reserves, and 2 Davidoff 702's. So again, I thank everyone here for the great suggestions on how to drop hints to maximize one's odds for getting something decent. I don't see how I can ever outdo this year's selection. My only regret is that some of those cigars are too elegant and expensive to smoke on routine occasions!
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ask for nothing or ask for a non cigar related gift.
    +1, just to be on the safe side
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    havanaal:
    Good time for another update of this thread. Our office Christmas party was this weekend, and I got an Ashton Box from my staff (didn't know what was in it till I got it home). Jackpot! 4 GOF's, 2 ESG's, 2 Padron Family Reserves, and 2 Davidoff 702's. So again, I thank everyone here for the great suggestions on how to drop hints to maximize one's odds for getting something decent. I don't see how I can ever outdo this year's selection. My only regret is that some of those cigars are too elegant and expensive to smoke on routine occasions!
    So what did the trick? Just the Ccom catalogs, or did you have to get more direct?
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    0.0 nice
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    havanaal:
    Awesome bud! And NOTHING is too elegant or expensive to smoke once you have it, especially if it was a gift!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    havanaal:
    Find out specifically who made the decision to get these, give that one person a raise, and your cigar expenses may drop significantly in the next year.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    An update for this Christmas season. Okay, another good selection from the office staff, UNFORTUNATELY this year someone got the idea to order them from a certain online dealer who has a reputation for long mailing waits and ships without humidification. So they arrived on the dried out side. My question is, how long should I store them before daring to light one up? This time of year it's tough to keep up the humidity--a universal problem. Is one week long enough?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would wait longer than a week. id give it 4-6 weeks. i do have a tendency to over compensate for issues with shipping humidity though.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I'd give them a couple weeks. No sense in rushing it. So what was this years choice?
  • Options
    brettdub33brettdub33 Posts: 56
    betasynn:
    You have a few options:

1. Each year, the person who is in charge, (and who gets you bad cigars) just fire them. In this economy, quality replacements are abound.

2. Use rob's ideas. Hiring a BOTL would be a great idea; you could smoke outside together, and he/she can be in charge of your gift.

3. Fake your own death. Leave a 'coroners report" on your desk. Have you cause of death listed as 'bad cigars, specifically ___________." A day later 'rise from the dead.' Attribute it to smoking an Opus, or whatever you want.

4. (My real advice.) You can never have too many sticks, and even the low-end ones can be passed on to friends who smoke casually. Be happy, be healthy, brother.

I LOVE IT!!! brought back from the dead by an Opus :)
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    havanaal:
    I manage a medium sized office (20-22 staff, mostly female) Every birthday or Christmas time, they are thoughtful enough to take up a collection and buy me what they know I’ll like--cigars. But they never seem to get it right. For example, this year the designated buyer was a secretary who claimed to know cigars, because she buys them for her boyfriend, who’s a real cigar connisseur. (His favorite? Garcia y Vega!). So I ended up with a box of low end cigars that I mostly smoked on the golf course. How does one handle this situation? or should I just shut up and be grateful for whatever I can get? After all, beggars can’t be choosers.
    Contact Tim at Cigar.com, give him a list of your favorites, and then give the designated "buyer" his contact information. Problem solved. They get the best price on your favorite cigars, and you get cigars that you know you'll enjoy.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    You could also do what my wife just did for Xmas: "Here is a check for X dollars. Go order yourself a nice box of cigars...one you wouldn't normally buy a box of." Done.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    dowjr1:
    You could also do what my wife just did for Xmas: "Here is a check for X dollars. Go order yourself a nice box of cigars...one you wouldn't normally buy a box of." Done.
    When you are done with her, can I borrow her next Christmas?
  • Options
    Well as I said last year, I knew I couldn't outdo that selection. This year they designated a different buyer (one of the ladies volunteered as the "expert"--there's apparently one in every crowd). I got 5 Montecristo Whites, 5 Cohiba Red Dots, 5 AF Hemingways, a VSG and a Mi Bario. Not bad eh? Still, I couldn't contain my disappointment when she told me where she ordered them from. I'll take the advice here and wait a good while longer to take one out.