Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Cuban rum and rum in general

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
Interested in anyone's thoughts on Cuban rums. I'm a fan of zacapa and zaya, and I do nothing more then sip the occasional shot or two with a smoke. I enjoyed appletons recently, but figured I'd grab some Havana club, cubay, and something else to try. I vaguely remember having cubay a while back and liking it. Anyways, I'm not a drinker anymore and when it comes to rum I never want more then one, so it works for me. So let me know your suggestions and experiences.

Comments

• Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Just received a bottle of Havana Club Anejo today. I'll let you know my thoughts on it very soon!
  • Options
    Please do...that, the reserva, especial, hc7, and some of the others JO has are on the list. It seems like the anejo's might be what I'd enjoy for sipping
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I don't like mixed drinks and hate cheap rum. Only good rum I've had was Zapaca and it is fantastic to sip with a cigar.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    catfishbluezz:
    Please do...that, the reserva, especial, hc7, and some of the others JO has are on the list. It seems like the anejo's might be what I'd enjoy for sipping
    That's why I picked it up!
  • Options
    Luko:
    I don't like mixed drinks and hate cheap rum. Only good rum I've had was Zapaca and it is fantastic to sip with a cigar.
    No mixers here, and I'm not looking for cheap stuff. I used to have a dozen bottles of scotch, whiskey, bourbon, etc on hand. After a couple years of not drinking, I find I dig the occasional rum to sip. The others.....well then I want the whole bottle and rampage ensues...
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    OchoZacho:
    Just received a bottle of Havana Club Anejo today. I'll let you know my thoughts on it very soon!
    Did you get it off our friend Mr O?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've only had HC7, so my experience is very limited. Having said that, I was not particularly impressed. For my money Zaya, Zacapa 23 and Cruzan Single Barrel are superior rums. That's not to say HC isn't good, I just don't think it's that good to justify the cost compared to what are, in my opinion, better rums...especially when not only cost but availability are brought to the table.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dustin,

As far as the HC7 goes I find it to be very young and bitey. I usually put two cubes it in the help with the bite but then it really is too watered down.

Like you, I keep looking at John's list and will pop for one st some point. I have heard good things about the Varadero but again it is a 7 yr old so I have my reservations. I will probably end up with a bottle of the HC Anejo Reserva at some point.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I've only had HC7, so my experience is very limited. Having said that, I was not particularly impressed. For my money Zaya, Zacapa 23 and Cruzan Single Barrel are superior rums. That's not to say HC isn't good, I just don't think it's that good to justify the cost compared to what are, in my opinion, better rums...especially when not only cost but availability are brought to the table.
    What the h3ll are you taking about Joe as far as cost, I give it to you for free, LOL.....Joe and I are pretty much in agreement on the HC7 as we really have given it more than a fair shake.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I have a bottle of Havana Club Edmundo Dantes 15yr at home. Good stuff! I actually really like the cheap Havana Club white rum for mixing, but haven't been able to get any lately. I need to find a new source.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've had the Havana Club Blanco and remember liking it enough to sip on. I brought home a bottle of Cuban rum from Portugal that was OK but very overprices for a 15 y/o and very underwhelming. I'll still stick by my top 3 recommendations: Zacapa, Zaya and Plantation 20th. If you want to splurge and get a really fantastic bottle, go for Zacapa XO or Ron Abuelo Centenario. Still have to try the El Dorado 21 but the 12 and 15 are really nice. I've also heard great things about Dos Maderas.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I've had the Havana Club Blanco and remember liking it enough to sip on. I brought home a bottle of Cuban rum from Portugal that was OK but very overprices for a 15 y/o and very underwhelming. I'll still stick by my top 3 recommendations: Zacapa, Zaya and Plantation 20th. If you want to splurge and get a really fantastic bottle, go for Zacapa XO or Ron Abuelo Centenario. Still have to try the El Dorado 21 but the 12 and 15 are really nice. I've also heard great things about Dos Maderas.
    'bout time you found this thread Rob, lol. Rob has sent me on a few chases for rum he has suggested and ALL were fantastic results. Still need to check out the Ron Abuelo Centerario so that one just moved to the top of the list. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went rum shopping, hmmmmm.
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    If someone has a good source for ISOM rum, please shoot me a PM! My go to guy dried up:(
  • Options
    stad:
    If someone has a good source for ISOM rum, please shoot me a PM! My go to guy dried up:(
    PM sent
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    'bout time you found this thread Rob, lol. Rob has sent me on a few chases for rum he has suggested and ALL were fantastic results. Still need to check out the Ron Abuelo Centerario so that one just moved to the top of the list. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went rum shopping, hmmmmm.

HA! Glad you've enjoyed all the recommendations so far. The Abuelo Centenario is pricey but fantastic. Sweeter than the Zacapa XO but equally awesome. And the packaging is top notch.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Anybody have experience with Mulata 7yr? I don't like overly sweet.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I'll put my plug in for Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva. My favorite. It's a lot like Zaya although not quite as sweet. Best rum I've had with cigars, no question. It's a little hard to find though.

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    stad:
    PM sent
    Same here... (as in I need a PM, not I sent HIM one...)
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Lasabar:
    bandyt09:
    stad:
    PM sent
    Same here... (as in I need a PM, not I sent HIM one...)
    PM to ya
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    I will probably end up with a bottle of the HC Anejo Reserva at some point.
    Hook

Line

Sinker

Here Bandybandy....come get some bandycandy LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob, pm bud
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    bandyt09:
    You might want to hold off on the rum shopping...just saying.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rob, pm bud
    Replied.
  • Options
    The Month and The Fish decided to use a contact against me and hit me upside the head with this: