Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Tatuaje lil mummy... mini review #1

BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
Ok, I am gonna start by saying I was surprised by this one. In a good way. Huge thanks to Jiunn for sending it to me.

Prelight: The construction of this cigar is perfect. Had a loosely wrapper closed foot (think PCR or Mo'W PA) and the prettiest tripple cap I have ever seen. The aroma of the cigar unlit was intoxicating, and the taste of the wrapper is firey but pleasant.

Light and initial taste: Black pepper like a ***. When just the foot was burning, the heat off the loose part of the wrapper was almost too hot to retrohale. It's like getting b!tchslapped by DPG to remind you he only make badass cigars. There is a flood of cedar tones, a touch of earth, and a slight hint of leather.

1st half: The cigar develops into a progressively sweeter overall flavor, but retains the cedar in the forefront. The pepper dies down to a very enjoyable level and makes itself known more through the nose, almost allowing you to control it's affect on the overall experience by how much you retrohale. Through the 1st third and into the 2nd third a slightly sour citrus note appears, and works it's way more forward into the profile as the cigar burns. The sweetness reminds me of a smore.

The texture of the smokes remains typically DPG. In a good way.

2nd half: The leather reappears and is a bit sharp - a tell tale sign that this is a young cigar. The cedar remain pleasant and the sour citrus note crawls into 2nd place for the dominant tastes. All the while the chocolaty sweetness stays, coming and going in strength but never leaving. The power and pepper of the sun grown wrapper starts to push it's way forward, reminding you this cigar was blended for an experienced smoker, but it's a nice addition to the overall flavor and doesn't dominate. The wrapper reminds me a lot of the Black lancero wrapper, but a bit more refined.

Burn remained perfect throughout the entire smoke, and the ash was gorgeous white.

Final thoughts: If a Black lancero and a Boris had a slightly less complex love child, it would be this cigar. I have never had a full sized mummy, so I can't speak to it's likeness in that aspect, but I can say that the citrus note in this cigar I have only tasted like this one other time - and that was a Boris. This cigar has a fairly complex taste profile, but they are not married well yet, so they are easy to pick out. I feel that this vitola may keep the blend from ever becoming super complex, but it is enjoyable to put your finger on the taste notes sometimes... at least for me, I don't always want to have to overthink what I'm smoking.

Bottom line... it was awesome. If they sold these by the box, I wouldn't hesitate. Home run for Pete. I think his marketing schemes are somewhat silly and over the top, but he continues to put out quality cigars, so whatever. If you have one of these smoke one. Then put the other one up for a few years. I'm thinking 3 years will be the magic mark for this blend in this vitola.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Comments

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    awesome review my friend! Now I'm tempted to light this up right now. I'll get to it soon. I think overall, it'll be good to smoke all five of the blends soon. Then perhaps lay the rest down for X number of years. This was a mini great review. None of that hooplah. Just a solid honest review. Thanks man.
  • Options
    also, I'd like to put in a request for you to review the other four please
  • Options
    jliu:
    You sent em brother! I'll smoke and review all of em ASAP. I'll try to do one each day for the next 4 days.
  • Options
    sounds great to me! haha I sent it to you to just enjoy them. If you review them, it's just an added plus for me
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has Ccom said why they don't carry certain brands? Example.. Mummy, OSOK's, El Titan de Bronze redemption to name a few.. Any thoughts?? Thanks
  • Options
    Awesome!!!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Has Ccom said why they don't carry certain brands? Example.. Mummy, OSOK's, El Titan de Bronze redemption to name a few.. Any thoughts?? Thanks
    You can email a salesperson direct, and a lot of times they can get stuff not on their website. That being said, i think it has to do with their main distributor and dealer agreements. For example, they are not Padron dealers so tehy do not get the FR stuff outside of the 80th and 40th as they are getting them sideways; thus, they can price teh regular lines cheaper then dealers. I have no idea as to the details, but the parent company probably has somethign to do with it.

There a lot of liens I wished they'd carry. Titan de bronze is one I want to try real bad.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    BigT06:
    jliu:
    You sent em brother! I'll smoke and review all of em ASAP. I'll try to do one each day for the next 4 days.
    Awesome review todd, I look forward to the other 3 reviews man. Best line in the whole thing . . . . especially for a fellow DPG lover.

BigT06:
    It's like getting b!tchslapped by DPG to remind you he only make badass cigars.
    LOL yes!!!
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    oh man... nice review... I am on Bachelor status this weekend, so I plan on firing up one of these in between baseball games... Thanks for the review Big Tizzle! you should do it more often...
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Just to answer the question about why they don't carry the Mummy cigar is it has not been relased yet its set for this october. The Mummy was prereleased as the little mummy but that is yet so far.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks I appreciate the info....
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Bigshizza:

+1... El Titan de Bronze is a great line of smokes.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nice review. Straight forward and to the point. The must try list just continues to grow. I'll be into this hobby until I am 145 yrs. old just trying to keep up... keeps me young :)
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I also really enjoyed this cigar and the spice was still a suprise even though you warned me. I just would have never guess it especially how light the wrapper color was. Did you think this cigar was dry on the palate. It reminded me of the cuban classic in that respect but major dry. I still enjoyed the cigar just needed more fluids. Once again great review I can't say much more but I will had how perfect this cigar was rolled. I am amazed so far how nice the little mosters are rolled presentation on these sticks is spot on so even though they are a gimick with some marketing ploy at least there worth it and are a serious smoke.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890:
    I also really enjoyed this cigar and the spice was still a suprise even though you warned me. I just would have never guess it especially how light the wrapper color was. Did you think this cigar was dry on the palate. It reminded me of the cuban classic in that respect but major dry. I still enjoyed the cigar just needed more fluids. Once again great review I can't say much more but I will had how perfect this cigar was rolled. I am amazed so far how nice the little mosters are rolled presentation on these sticks is spot on so even though they are a gimick with some marketing ploy at least there worth it and are a serious smoke.
    The finish was def dry, but not obnoxiously so. For the duration of the cigar I drank about 6 oz of home brewed lemonade that I intentionally kept watered down, and it kept my palate clean and hydrated. I drink lemonade and/or water any time I want to focus on the flavor of a cigar, so I don't mind a dry finish. I agree that the lil monsters have been surprisingly good.