Home Pipes
Options

Recent pipe smoking observations

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been trying to pick up my pipe smoking a bit more lately. One thing I notice is that my pipe with the large bowl smokes so much easier then the smaller ones.

I have also noticed that my pipes (all of them) seem to burn in the middle and not the entire bowl. I have tried different lighting techniques but can't figure out a solution or if this is the norm. The tobacco on the outside doesn't seem to burn at all.

Think I just have to get me groove back.

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yes, the larger bowels will likely smoke easier, depending on the pipe itself.

The tobacco not burning on the sides is actually somewhat normal. The chamber is built to pull air through it but the larger hole at the top allows air to be drawn through a much smaller hole. So you get a conical shape where the air moves toward the center as it moves down causing the center to burn hotter and faster. You can avoid this by tamping frequently and moving the tamper in a way that moves the outer edges toward the center.

It could be that the tobacco is a little wet too, so some extra drying time might help.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I am smoking now has been in a jar or baggy for a year. I do tamp often but I will try to tamp towards the center. I guess I am thrown off since my corncob seems to burn evenly from center to outside.

I am definitely a big fan of the larger bowl size.