Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Diesel Unlimited, MOW Ruination and 5 Vegas Gold Maduro

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
New guy here.... never did a cigar review .... but the last few days I smoked one of each and here are my thoughts.

5 Vegas Gold Maduro Robusto - I am not one to yet be able to decifer specific tastes but I know what I like and what I dont and if a cigar is a pain. Well..... this one the burn was terrible, had to keep puffing to keep it lit, taste was ok but it was such a pain to smoke. On top of that it made my fingers brown. Needless to say on my scale of 1 to 5 this gets a 1. Not even sure how long it took to smoke with all the fussing around.

MOW Ruination Robusto 1 - Very good burn, i liked the taste. A little hot at the end but I smoked it down to less than 1 inch. Took 1 hr 20 min to smoke. This was enjoyable to me and gets 4 stars.

Diesel Unlimited 5.5 x 54 (d.5) - Excellent burn, nice flavor. I liked it a lot. Better than the MOW. So I guess it gets 5 on my scale. Will do this one again.

All of these were in my humidor for 3 or 4 weeks at 65 percent and around 75 degrees.

Interested to hear other feedback on these three.

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jadelt:
    New guy here.... never did a cigar review .... but the last few days I smoked one of each and here are my thoughts.

5 Vegas Gold Maduro Robusto - I am not one to yet be able to decifer specific tastes but I know what I like and what I dont and if a cigar is a pain. Well..... this one the burn was terrible, had to keep puffing to keep it lit, taste was ok but it was such a pain to smoke. On top of that it made my fingers brown. Needless to say on my scale of 1 to 5 this gets a 1. Not even sure how long it took to smoke with all the fussing around.

MOW Ruination Robusto 1 - Very good burn, i liked the taste. A little hot at the end but I smoked it down to less than 1 inch. Took 1 hr 20 min to smoke. This was enjoyable to me and gets 4 stars.

Diesel Unlimited 5.5 x 54 (d.5) - Excellent burn, nice flavor. I liked it a lot. Better than the MOW. So I guess it gets 5 on my scale. Will do this one again.

All of these were in my humidor for 3 or 4 weeks at 65 percent and around 75 degrees.

Interested to hear other feedback on these three.
    After trying tese three I would suggest you try a 5 Vegas Miami, a MOW Puro Authentico, and the Diesel Unholy Cocktail. Three from the same makers, all three very popular and all three will show you a different side of the line.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    YOur dissapointment with 5 Vegas Gold may have been more to do with the taste than its burn. Try 5 Vegas Triple A. It's a maduro as well and very flavorful. You can't go wrong with MOWR and Diesel Unlimited.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    After trying tese three I would suggest you try a 5 Vegas Miami, a MOW Puro Authentico, and the Diesel Unholy Cocktail. Three from the same makers, all three very popular and all three will show you a different side of the line.

A while back I did have a 5 Vegas Miami Knuckle and I did enjoy that one a lot.
  • Options
    I have had several of the 5 Vegas Maduro. The first couple I had were really tasty and burned fine. The last couple I had burned awful and had to be re-lit or fixed up all the way through. I gave up on them after the last few.

The 5 Vegas tripple A was a good suggestion. That one is a very tasty stick. not too expensive and is a MUCH better representation of what a good Maduro is supposed to be like.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    I have had several of the 5 Vegas Maduro. The first couple I had were really tasty and burned fine. The last couple I had burned awful and had to be re-lit or fixed up all the way through. I gave up on them after the last few.

The 5 Vegas tripple A was a good suggestion. That one is a very tasty stick. not too expensive and is a MUCH better representation of what a good Maduro is supposed to be like.

I have a 5 Vegas AAA in the humidor right now...... (been there a few weeks)...... I may try that one tonight....... I just love samplers..... fun to try something new every day. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    sms419sms419 Posts: 21
    Diesel Unlimited is on of my favorite sticks. Price is descent also.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My $0.02-

5V Gold Maduro - I've tried this on multiple occasions and never like it. I had burn/construction issues and I didn't find the flavors very pleasing. This is the only 5V blend I will never smoke again.
    Since it's flavors were awful, I don't know what to compare it to. But for a good "budget" maduro - I'd take a box of the 5V A or AAA over this one for a good, everyday-smoke.

MOW Ruination - haven't had this MOW yet, but if you liked this one, I'd guess you might like the Puro Authentico/Maduro (as the other guy suggested) or the MOW Side Projects. I think there's a side project sampler, might be worth a look.

Diesel Unltd robusto - My favorite diesel blend, and second fav vitola right behind the d.x belicoso. Great priced, reliable, flavorful smoke and they age great. Stock up on these if you see them at a good price (keep an eye on the sprint sale for them)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    My $0.02-

5V Gold Maduro - I've tried this on multiple occasions and never like it. I had burn/construction issues and I didn't find the flavors very pleasing. This is the only 5V blend I will never smoke again.
    Since it's flavors were awful, I don't know what to compare it to. But for a good "budget" maduro - I'd take a box of the 5V A or AAA over this one for a good, everyday-smoke.

MOW Ruination - haven't had this MOW yet, but if you liked this one, I'd guess you might like the Puro Authentico/Maduro (as the other guy suggested) or the MOW Side Projects. I think there's a side project sampler, might be worth a look.

Diesel Unltd robusto - My favorite diesel blend, and second fav vitola right behind the d.x belicoso. Great priced, reliable, flavorful smoke and they age great. Stock up on these if you see them at a good price (keep an eye on the sprint sale for them)

Just to clarify, I suggested the Puro Authentico, NOT the PA Maduro. This is one stick where the Maduro version can't even come close to the natural wrapper. IMO
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    jgibv:
    My $0.02-

Just to clarify, I suggested the Puro Authentico, NOT the PA Maduro. This is one stick where the Maduro version can't even come close to the natural wrapper. IMO
    Totally agree. When I was having the PA maduro, I get all confused. I kept looking at the cigar and going "am I really having a PA? oh yea, it's the maduro version." I like the kick in noggin of the natural PA. it's like ouuuwweeeeahhhh.... this is good.
  • Options
    jgibv:
    My $0.02-

I have 10 Diesel Unlimited on the way...... thanks for the feedback
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Sorry laker, didn't mean to misquote you. I was trying to suggest that he try both the PA and PA Maduro.

You're right, they're 2 very different cigars even though they share the same name but they're both good and I think worth a try.

• Options
    Schrooz:
    YOur dissapointment with 5 Vegas Gold may have been more to do with the taste than its burn. Try 5 Vegas Triple A. It's a maduro as well and very flavorful. You can't go wrong with MOWR and Diesel Unlimited.
    I had a Triple-A last night........very nice, great burn, good flavor that seemed to change a bit, smoked for 1 hour 20 minutes. Far better than the Gold Maduro. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would love to try a Puro but since I am still doing lots of 'samplers' it wont be for a while ...... never see them in any sampler packs.
  • Options
    jgibv:
    laker1963:
    Sorry laker, didn't mean to misquote you. I was trying to suggest that he try both the PA and PA Maduro.

You're right, they're 2 very different cigars even though they share the same name but they're both good and I think worth a try.
    No apologies needed. It is just that I am NOT a fan of the PA Maduro for some reason. I think the wrapper is a bad combo for the filler, just too much mashed up flavours for my liking. That said I did not want him to try one and then tell me I sent him off in search of a dog rocket. He really should try one however, because we all have different tastes and flavor profile favorites, and he may really like it.
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Schrooz:
    I had a Triple-A last night........very nice, great burn, good flavor that seemed to change a bit, smoked for 1 hour 20 minutes. Far better than the Gold Maduro. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would love to try a Puro but since I am still doing lots of 'samplers' it wont be for a while ...... never see them in any sampler packs.
    Check your inbox.

• Options
    jadelt:
    Schrooz:

I have a few coming in an AJ Corona sampler that should be here soon. I will send you out a package with one in it when they come. It will give you a chance to try a few of AJ's blends, and find out why he is at the top of the field of blenders out there. This man is responsible for around 80% of my cigar enjoyment.

I don't know if the Fernandez Corona Collection is still available but it is a nice little sampler with nothing but great sticks in it. Here is a link to the order page for them. Check it out.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-AJBASST14

EDIT: I just saw the post from Jgibv to you. I don't want to spoil anything for you two. ENJOY
  • Options
    laker1963:
    I have a few coming in an AJ Corona sampler that should be here soon. I will send you out a package with one in it when they come. It will give you a chance to try a few of AJ's blends, and find out why he is at the top of the field of blenders out there. This man is responsible for around 80% of my cigar enjoyment.

I don't know if the Fernandez Corona Collection is still available but it is a nice little sampler with nothing but great sticks in it. Here is a link to the order page for them. Check it out.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-AJBASST14
    EDIT: I just saw the post from Jgibv to you. I don't want to spoil anything for you two. ENJOY
    hahah all good man - I'm actually out of the PA's or else I would have messaging him looking for his address.
    The PM was about something else (sort of).

• Options
    The sampler looks interesting. So far I have not had any corona sizes. I tend to like the Robusto size anywhere from 5 - 5.5 or 6 x 50 to 56 give or take.

I guess I need to try some coronas to see if I like them too !
    I have something in the works to buy 5 PA's

If that falls through I may take you up !

Thanks for all the help.

EDIT:
    With my thoughts about finding a sampler with PA's in it ..... this one really has me drooling ! A lot I havent tried !
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST189
  • Options
    jadelt:
    The sampler looks interesting. So far I have not had any corona sizes. I tend to like the Robusto size anywhere from 5 - 5.5 or 6 x 50 to 56 give or take.

I guess I need to try some coronas to see if I like them too !
    I have something in the works to buy 5 PA's

If that falls through I may take you up !

Thanks for all the help.

EDIT:
    With my thoughts about finding a sampler with PA's in it ..... this one really has me drooling ! A lot I havent tried !
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST189
    Jump on it bro' that's a great sampler. I forgot about that one. May have to revisit that one myself. God I am such an AJ ****!
  • Options
    Silly question?

How do you light a 'shaggy foot" or the tucked in Puro ....... do you cut it or just light it as is ?
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    jadelt:
    Silly question?

How do you light a 'shaggy foot" or the tucked in Puro ....... do you cut it or just light it as is ?
    Cut and light as is. Just make sure you burn the tucked foot a little before you take the match away. Shaggys might need a touch up after they reach the wrapper but most don't seem to.
  • Options
    My triple-A from last night.....(testing my photo in a post too)

Enjoyed it a lot - My simple rating is 4 out of 5 (havent had a 5 yet) image
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always agreed with the descriptions of the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro seen above. I tried, several times, to like it but it just didn't "do it" for me. About a week ago, I pulled one out, thought "what the heck", and fired it up. Now, I usually work at smoking slowly, I say work because if I keep the cigar in my hand I'll smoke much too quickly, and I let the cigar rest on the ashtray between puffs. In this instance, the cigar nearly went out. I picked it up just in time to barely keep it going, and noticed flavor that I had never gotten from this cigar before. I kept this up, and really enjoyed the whole thing. Last night, I tried the same thing again, waiting even longer than usual between puffs, and had the same experience.

Of course, these cigars had been around a lot longer than the first ones I tried. So, maybe it was age, slow smoking, or a combination of the two, but I've re-thought my original (low) opinion of these.

Or, maybe I just got lucky.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    I have always agreed with the descriptions of the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro seen above. I tried, several times, to like it but it just didn't "do it" for me. About a week ago, I pulled one out, thought "what the heck", and fired it up. Now, I usually work at smoking slowly, I say work because if I keep the cigar in my hand I'll smoke much too quickly, and I let the cigar rest on the ashtray between puffs. In this instance, the cigar nearly went out. I picked it up just in time to barely keep it going, and noticed flavor that I had never gotten from this cigar before. I kept this up, and really enjoyed the whole thing. Last night, I tried the same thing again, waiting even longer than usual between puffs, and had the same experience.

Of course, these cigars had been around a lot longer than the first ones I tried. So, maybe it was age, slow smoking, or a combination of the two, but I've re-thought my original (low) opinion of these.

you definitely got lucky.......
    the 5vegas gold maduro is a ****......................plain and simple

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Amos Umwhat:

you definitely got lucky.......
    the 5vegas gold maduro is a ****......................plain and simple

sadly the next one was back to meh.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    laker1963:
    jgibv:
    My $0.02-

Totally agree. When I was having the PA maduro, I get all confused. I kept looking at the cigar and going "am I really having a PA? oh yea, it's the maduro version." I like the kick in noggin of the natural PA. it's like ouuuwweeeeahhhh.... this is good.
    Ansolutely agree the maduro is a totally different cigar. Still good but doesn't have the punch that the Habano has. I to found myself looking at it and wondering what the heck was wrong with it. Amazing the difference just the wrapper makes.