Home Ratings & Reviews

San Luis Rey Habano Rothschilde

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
As I made my way down the Blue Ridge Parkway in the guise of Johnny Sotweedseed, I encountered this fellow, who, for reasons not germane to this thread, I nicknamed TomTom Tom:

TomTom Tom had heard through the grapevine about Johnny Sotweedseed, so he came prepared with a baggie of stogies which he insisted on swapping. No, he would not accept a bomb without. With great reverence, he gifted me a San Luis Rey Habano Rothschilde. Last night, I attempted to burn it.

The wrapper is nice enough. Veiny, slightly oily, smelling like wood, but tasting bitter. The stick felt fat and loose. It uncapped easy. Had a super big draw. Tasted like hay and wood unlit.

It lit uneven with one match. Second match still couldn't get the unlit side going. Gave plenty and plenty of smoke. Tasted like dry wood. Had a simply awful burn up the one side. Nothing whatever remarkable or fine in flavor. Just dry wood and plenty of it. It put itself out after one inch. Not worth re-lighting, so I didn't.

I didn't smoke it long enough to get a stinkfinger. No morning mouth.

I gave it one star. Not a bad flavor, but a bad stick.

However, I see that cigar.com carries this stick, and that their blurb speaks highly of it. So I am inclined to think there may have been something wrong with the example gifted me. TomTom Tom was unaware of what a water pillow is or the purpose of it. It may be that in the crushing heat on the way down there his SLR dried out in its baggie; that in the rain on the Parkway thereafter it may have gotten damp on one side; and all that bad condition may be why my experience of it was dry with a bad burn. My fault. I ought to have kept it in the humidor a week before lighting.

I know where TomTom Tom lives. I will send him a couple of those black plastic hermetically sealed uncrushable cigar tubes so that next time he travels he can keep his sticks in good working order. And maybe a water pillow. Need to score some anyway. Love them things.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had that problem with one of those and I like them. But then again, I've never been accused of having good taste. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.