Home Cigar 101
Options

What is proper humidity? 65% or 70% bead humi puck?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
I'm new to cigars, and have been reading a lot over the net - I've seen the 70/70 rule everywhere, but I've read on a few sites that 65 or so is actually best, that the 70/70 rule is only widespread because it's easy to remember, not because it's what cigars are ideally stored at.  The sites continue that 65 is best for aging while 70 is best for smoking, that 65 is less chance of beetles than 70, etc

So my question being - if I'm about to buy the Heartfelt puck with beads, should I but the 65% or 70% RH model?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I find 65% to be ideal for smoking, I also use it for aging. As for what beads you should buy...well, it's hard to say. Where I live, it tends to be hot and arid, so using 70% beads gives me more in the range of 65-68%...really, it depends on your ambient humidity in regards to which will work better for you. Definitely use a lot more than is recommended, like 2-3 times what will maintain your humidity, this will help it to stay more stable and also lengthen the time between charges.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Well, I live in Florida, but the humidity in my room with the A/C is around 50 or so typically.  I only need this for a little 25-50 humidor (about 350 cubic inches).

Does anyone have any experience with the Hearfelt humidier pucks?  Do they come filled with enough beads, or do I need to buy more?

Thanks again for any help
  • Options
    SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    xmacro:
    I'm new to cigars, and have been reading a lot over the net - I've seen the 70/70 rule everywhere, but I've read on a few sites that 65 or so is actually best, that the 70/70 rule is only widespread because it's easy to remember, not because it's what cigars are ideally stored at.  The sites continue that 65 is best for aging while 70 is best for smoking, that 65 is less chance of beetles than 70, etc

So my question being - if I'm about to buy the Heartfelt puck with beads, should I but the 65% or 70% RH model?

Thanks for any help
    I live in Colorado and it is very dry out here. It took me a while to prep my humidor and now it holds between 65% and 70%. It's your preference.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    A lotta people like the beads and a lotta people on here use them BUT I would use the Boveda Packs . They are AWSOME just drop them in and fogetta about it . They are good for about 2 months, require nothing, no maintenance or anything. Takes about 3 per 50 cigars and your good to go. I personally use the 69's and my humi's now stay constant at 67-68 ...no charging no wondering ...bada boom bada bing your done ....should be advertised as cigar hunidification for dummies ...if you have a pulse you can use them ...(Disclaimer: This was not a paid endorsement) :)