Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

I get the impression...

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Other than the catch-all category, which by its unspecific nature always stacks up the most posts on any forum, this Trades Passes and Bombs section gets more threads than any other category. More than reviews, 101,... even more than politics and funnies. Most of the action appears to be bombs; but some of these passes, Cripes, they stretch to three or four hundred posts and have garnered millions of views. That beats any others by a long long shot. If there were a count for pages, posts, and views, I bet this section would annihilate; although "whatcha smokin" gets a load of attention in the catch-all.

But all this interest in bombing and passing? Makes me wonder what's the real hobby here. I get the impression it's way more fun to hand a smoke to an acquaintance than burn it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    sounds about right.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel it's all about spreading the joy! I know some people can get sticks others can't also some people are hesitant to pay for a stick they might not like and therefor would be a waste of money... But if given to them they will try it. But it's all about the thought and not what you get!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, first and foremost, we are all cigar smokers. We wouldn't be here if we didn't really enjoy smoking cigars. Along with the culture of cigar smoking is the nature to share one's cigars with others. This is historically portrayed with the birth of a child. With the good old Internets, we can now expand that sharing across the globe with the help of forums such as this. So the TPB threads are very useful to that end, but the sharing of knowledge and personal experiences in the Reviews, 101, Gen. Discussion, and even non-cigar threads are a huge part of why most of us continue to frequent this place. Now don't get me wrong. I obviously really enjoy the bombing shenanigans and this place wouldn't be the same without them. But we are a lot more than a bunch of crazy guys throwing our cigars around.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I feel it's all about spreading the joy! I know some people can get sticks others can't also some people are hesitant to pay for a stick they might not like and therefor would be a waste of money... But if given to them they will try it. But it's all about the thought and not what you get!
    +1, I am in a small town in Tennessee and my B&M is very limited in what they carry. I have been so fortunate to have made trades, gotten bombed, or been in a pass and that allowed me to try sticks that I never would have bought.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Better than buying a man a meal. A truly honorable gesture.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    But we are a lot more than a bunch of crazy guys throwing our cigars around.
    No we're not
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Other than the catch-all category, which by its unspecific nature always stacks up the most posts on any forum, this Trades Passes and Bombs section gets more threads than any other category. More than reviews, 101,... even more than politics and funnies. Most of the action appears to be bombs; but some of these passes, Cripes, they stretch to three or four hundred posts and have garnered millions of views. That beats any others by a long long shot. If there were a count for pages, posts, and views, I bet this section would annihilate; although "whatcha smokin" gets a load of attention in the catch-all.

But all this interest in bombing and passing? Makes me wonder what's the real hobby here. I get the impression it's way more fun to hand a smoke to an acquaintance than burn it.

That's a keen observation, webmost. Never thought about it that way but I would still say the hobby here is cigars, not bombs/trades. I just think that since cigar blends can be so diverse, yet all cigars are relatively small, lightweight, inexpensive - it makes trading/bombing them much easier than say, swapping/bombing Jeep parts on an off-roading forum.

I also know that we have a multitude of extremely generous and passionate people on the forums who want to help others "fully experience" this hobby.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    SleevePlz:
    No we're not
    Oh hells nah we aint. I normal. Time for morning coffee. Lets go to Philz coffee snoobie. Okie dokie
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    SleevePlz:
    No we're not
    says the craziest of them all
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    I think it's pretty simple to understand. My hobby is cigars and everything that goes along with it. I'm passionate about my hobby and it make me happy. I also find happiness in sharing my passion about my hobby with others, if I smoke an amazing stick, I want everyone to try it. This is a hobby that requires class to participate and that is why so many wonderful people can be found here on the forums. Another brother mention that giving away cigars has been around for a long while, example birth of a child. Cigars have also been used to celebrate other life accomplishments through out the years, they have also been used as a great pick me up between friends. So with the class and character of the members here and the amount of life events to celebrate its no wonder that bomb threads have taken over in post counts.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    mmccartneydc:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    +1, I am in a small town in Tennessee and my B&M is very limited in what they carry. I have been so fortunate to have made trades, gotten bombed, or been in a pass and that allowed me to try sticks that I never would have bought.
    +2 except that I live in a small town on Vancouver Island in Western Canada and we don't even have a small, **** B&M.

When I found this place I found a group of people who were willing to help with information and some even sent me out some sticks to try.

When I decided I had spent enough time here to get into the trades and bombs and passes the BOTL here had no problem including me even though it would slow down the pass having to come all the way here and then back again. To me it is the inclusion of or the attempt to include all members in anything that is going on, which makes us feel like a family.

Passing on some good, learned information or a great stick or two here and there is like the payback for being a member of such a large family. As we grow and learn more about this hobby and this place we want to share it with others and so the family grows. All this with NO rules or moderators to steer a course for us through what could be a VERY messy minefield of personalities.

This place could be one of the greatest social experiments of all time.
  • Options
    IONTCIONTC Posts: 172
    I agree that it's the love of spreading joy but, I also have to say that the graciousness of the people on this forum blows me away as well. I am still new and have a modest collection. Almost all of what I have gotten so far is cheap and has been on sale. Still though if I hit one of the veteran heavy hitters with one of my modest bombs (and I plan to) I feel that it would be genuinely appreciated.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    I think it's pretty simple to understand. My hobby is cigars and everything that goes along with it. I'm passionate about my hobby and it make me happy. I also find happiness in sharing my passion about my hobby with others, if I smoke an amazing stick, I want everyone to try it. This is a hobby that requires class to participate and that is why so many wonderful people can be found here on the forums. Another brother mention that giving away cigars has been around for a long while, example birth of a child. Cigars have also been used to celebrate other life accomplishments through out the years, they have also been used as a great pick me up between friends. So with the class and character of the members here and the amount of life events to celebrate its no wonder that bomb threads have taken over in post counts.
    +1
    This sums it up.
    This sums it up. I even hand out sticks at the lounge regularly to guys I don’t know and might not ever interact with again. If that guy enjoys the smoke I’ve probably made his day. Hopefully he remembers the generosity and passes it onward. Its sharing the passion we all share for the hobby. Receiving a bomb is bright spot in the victim’s day. Then when they get around to smoking one of those sticks hopefully they enjoy it and then there are 5-10 of those enjoyable experiences. That’s my perspective.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    +1
    This sums it up.
    This sums it up. I even hand out sticks at the lounge regularly to guys I don’t know and might not ever interact with again. If that guy enjoys the smoke I’ve probably made his day. Hopefully he remembers the generosity and passes it onward. Its sharing the passion we all share for the hobby. Receiving a bomb is bright spot in the victim’s day. Then when they get around to smoking one of those sticks hopefully they enjoy it and then there are 5-10 of those enjoyable experiences. That’s my perspective.

+1 +1 Hell yea
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    +1
    This sums it up.

+1 +1 Hell yea
    +2, I like to welcome new ones to the forums and old ones, LOL . These things I do in everyday life also, at the Club where I golf, at the boat club, everyone knows if Mikee is present there are going to be good times! I have bombed botl when they were having tough times and I didn't know it, then they send a thank you how much it brightened their day or week, I think cool maybe some of this will filter down to others the way it did to me, when I first came in! like my quote says life is too short!! So yes I'll continue bombing/sharing!!!:-) :-) :-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    Vision:
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    +1
    This sums it up.

+1 +1 Hell yea
    +2, I like to welcome new ones to the forums and old ones, LOL . These things I do in everyday life also, at the Club where I golf, at the boat club, everyone knows if Mikee is present there are going to be good times! I have bombed botl when they were having tough times and I didn't know it, then they send a thank you how much it brightened their day or week, I think cool maybe some of this will filter down to others the way it did to me, when I first came in! like my quote says life is too short!! So yes I'll continue bombing/sharing!!!:-) :-) :-) :-)
    ok ok all kiddin aside, Mike is amazing. 110% serious
  • Options
    SporusSporus Posts: 236
    jliu:
    MVW67:
    Vision:
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    +1
    This sums it up.

+1 +1 Hell yea
    Obligatory +1 to that.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    MVW67:
    Vision:
    bigfnsteve:
    Smokindaddy:
    +1
    This sums it up.

+1 +1 Hell yea
    F that noise. Mike is a NUT JOB. OK Ok and Amazing Nut Job. I wish I was on his level. Hell even half his level and I'd die happy.