Home General Discussion
Options

Do some labels turn you off?

undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
There are a few top cigars that I would probably never buy because of the label. They look cheap and it just turns me off from the get go. Anyone have the same problem?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I wouldn't not smoke a cigar just because of the label, but I do agree that some are cheesy and very gaudy. I hate when a label takes up half of the cigar.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I agree, it might be a great cigar but if it has a cheap lookin label, then it just doesn't make me want to spend a lot of money on it.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Meh. I certainly like the look of flashy cigar labels, but just like jewelery, there is a point of excess.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    no... but the one for "free Cuba" turns me on.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

I like the "topless" version of that one too. Do they still use that label ? I haven't seen it for a while.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    not really. I like the flashy ones, but I usually don't buy cigars based on labels.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:

I like the "topless" version of that one too. Do they still use that label ? I haven't seen it for a while.
    ive got a couple in my humidor. i cant remember when i got em. been a few years though.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:

ive got a couple in my humidor. i cant remember when i got em. been a few years though.

The free cuba's - what do you guys think of them ?
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    How about no label at all? One of my most memorable smokes was from a vendor in Honduras. There were some cigars in a box at the bar, no label, and pricey too ($5 a piece, which seemed a lot for home made sticks). The bartender said they were rolled by friend down the street. A+ smoke.
  • Options
    The label itself would not influence me one way or another ...
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Usually cigar bands don't have a big effect on me, but I do get peeved when there is a gigantic band that seems to always get stuck on the wrapper on my stick. I'm looking at you Gurkha.
  • Options
    Garen B:
    Usually cigar bands don't have a big effect on me, but I do get peeved when there is a gigantic band that seems to always get stuck on the wrapper on my stick. I'm looking at you Gurkha.

It might be the rum but thats funny as he-ll Garen ...
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    seconded
  • Options
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:

The free cuba's - what do you guys think of them ?
    for a buck a stick im great with them.
    minus the cost, they are ok. a bit on the mild side. they have burn issues if you smoke em too fresh.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I think the only time I bought a cigar for a label was AVO. Something about the label, I think it is the orange. Other that that, I could not care what the label looks like.
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    The quality of the label doesn't bother me. I'm not smoking the label. It does annoy me, however, when a label is too large, and they're getting bigger every year it seems.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I probably confused some people by starting this thread. I'm not saying I wouldn't smoke a cigar because of the label, but rather that if I have 6 bucks burning in my pocket and have to decide on one of two cigars that I am not familiar with, I'm going with the nicer label.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Oooohhh, ok, well my answer really hasn't changed all that much, I usually pick a stick that I have been wanting to try, by how it smells or just pick one of my go to sticks. Labels are labels, they go into my cigar band bag.
  • Options
    iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    Are you turned off by tatuajes??? Most of there labels are so simple and cheap looking. But if you have passed up this cigar i am telling you that you are making a sore mistake that you should regret.