Home Ratings & Reviews

Tatuaje frank jr... mini review #5

BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
Ok... last in the series. I saved this one till last because of how epic The Frank was. Hindsight... should've smoked this one first. Huge thanks to Jiunn for sending me the entire set of 5 to try. You're the ****.

Prelight: I'm running out of ways to say "perfect construction"... all of the mini monsters are absolutely stellar in the construction. This cigar smells STRONGLY of chocolate and cocoa. The cold draw is a rush of cocoa and a bit of spice. Almost peppermint spice.

Light and initial taste: Very earthy. A bit of leather, and a good amount of spice. Typical Nicaraguan spice. Honestly the first few draws are a bit generic.

1st half: Chocolate bomb. Also very earthy, and the generic spice remains. It's a bit simple, actually. This is also the first of the minis that's had a noticeable grassy, young taste. There are some nutty and cocoa notes as well, but they are not very well defined.

The draw and burn are great... but it is burning quickly, noticeably so.

2nd half: The burn does slow down around the half way point. The flavors also start to mesh. Not in a muddy way, but certainly not in a complex way either... it's more like they just agree to get along. The chocolate and earth remain the dominant flavors by far. The bit of leather, nuts, and spice are pleasant. Although there are not a lot of flavors, what are there are fairly strong and quite good.

The smoke is downright chewy. I love that about a cigar.

Final thoughts: This cigar is good. The Frank (full-sized) was great. Exceptional even. Because of that fact, this cigar is a bit disappointing. In and of itself, however, it is still a good, chocolaty cigar with creamy, chewy smoke. There is a lot to be said for that. This cigar may just need more rest, as it did taste obviously young.

Bottom line: Buy a box of mini monsters! It is worth the money, as they are great cigars altogether. The frank jr. may not have been exactly what I was hoping for, but all in all, the series is amazing. I would buy a box of 20 mini mums for $10/stick any day. I would buy a fiver of the frank jr. for $5/stick. The rest fall in between those 2 for me.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Comments

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Todd. Thanks again for your relentless passion and time you put into these reviews. Sure as hell gets me all amped up to smoke them! I think I'll light this guy up next. Already had the wolfie and thought it kicked ass.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    another great review. thank you.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Well I was hesitant to smoke them this early but everyone seems to think they are smoking well now so may be I'll set fire to one. These High nineties and mid to low hundreds weather is killing me though.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed my first frank jr last night. I'm not sure how else to say perfect construction either this stick had a more traditional square press. I thought the initial few puffs had a blast of pepin pepper that had a mint flavor that I have never quite tasted before. The pepper lighten up half way throught and this turned out to be a fine smoke. So far the mini mum is my favorite followed closely by Wolfie. Big T reviews def hit the flavor notes I was suprised by his post about the mint but he was right great flavor. These mni monster series are a little pricey and have a gimicky kinda flavor but the cigars inside the box are all serious smokes that are perfectly contructed and have great flavor burn and draw. If you can still snag a box I recommend that you do.