Home General Discussion
Options

Beads and Numbskulls

I screwed up...didn't even think about it...I went to recharge my beads and filled them with TAP WATER! Are they still good, I poured distilled water over them but what else can I do...so that they are not ruined? Help...

Comments

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Not totally sure; you could maybe put them in the sun, let the water evaporate out? Something like that? Put them in a very dry place or whatever. Use different beads or humidifying stuff until then?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    I screwed up...didn't even think about it...I went to recharge my beads and filled them with TAP WATER! Are they still good, I poured distilled water over them but what else can I do...so that they are not ruined? Help...
    That's not the worst thing ever. Get them into some sort of stocking ( nylon) and use a hair dryer to dry them out. Re-charge with distilled water and they should be fine.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    1) I don't think either of those suggestions will help. .......2) You're probably fine as your are, so long as its a one time thing . ....... From everything I've read, the only reason you don't use tap water is because tap water contains dissolved minerals in it - over time, as the water evaporates, it'll leave those mineral deposits behind in your beads. Since your beads have mineral deposits in them, there will be less room for water - because there's less room for water, the beads will be less effective. So the real reason not to use tap water isn't because the water itself is bad, but because of the minerals dissolved in it. ........... You've only done this once, so any effect it'll have will be absolutely minimal (really - unless your tap water is the color of mud, you should be fine). The amount of mineral deposits will be so insignificant, I doubt you'll even notice ......... Now - you certainly can't get the minerals out by drying them (if anything, drying them out may cook the minerals into the beads), and you may or may not be able to wash the minerals out if you try, since the minerals may or may not dissolve in the distilled water and be washed away - BUT - if you read the Heartfelt website, they say that just pouring water over the beads will crack them (though the site also says if they crack, they'll still be just as effective as ever). ....... So really it's your call. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much - rinse them off a few times with distilled water should get any loose impurities out, and anything that doesn't come out won't affect you anyway; but even if you don't wash them out, since this is the only time you've done it, there shouldn't be a problem
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    xmacro is correct. you will know when they dry out. if they turn white and then clear again when you add distilled water you are ok. its when you cant get them to turn clear anymore there is a problem.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Awesome, thanks guys. I knew y'all would come through. I have them drying out now. then will 'wash' them again with distilled water just to make sure. It's so humid here now, I may have to go the hair dryer route.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the other reason you dont use tap water is because of the cigars. tap water (since it has those minerals) has a smell to it. ... or a taste.

a few years ago the water in the city i live in had a very distinct Algae taste to it. made the news and everything. you dont want your cigars to taste like seaweed.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Kuz...I thought you guys got that fresh great lake water...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Bad Andy:
    Little known fact - the Great Lakes are actually quite dirty. I lived in MI for a year, and people dump their trash in there, trash washes up on shore, investigations follow, etc
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Bad Andy:

Damn Andy sounds like something I would do ...
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    put the beads in the fridge, the air is very dry in there.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Bad Andy:
    Little known fact - the Great Lakes are actually quite dirty. I lived in MI for a year, and people dump their trash in there, trash washes up on shore, investigations follow, etc
    im too far south for that. the lake is about 30 miles north of me.

the great lakes arent as bad as they used to be. there has been much effort put out to clean them up. so much so that it is no longer unsafe to eat fish out of Erie more than twice a month. there could still be some improvement but at least its headed in the right direction.

...and Superior is amazingly clean.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Bad Andy:
    Yeah, but fish f*ck in it!