Home General Discussion
Options

Help - - How to modify sponge humidifier to use beads

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Ok, so I'm getting a new humidor and I've decided to use the beads. ---------------- Heartfels charges $30 for a 2oz rectangle humidifer pre-filled with beads, but only $18 for a half-pound (8oz), so naturally I'm going with the beads by themselves. ----------- What do I need to convert a rectangle humidifer, the kind that uses a sponge, to make it use beads? Do I need to buy their mesh bag if I do this, or can the humidifier holds the beads without anything? If so, is the bag a simple drawstring that can open unexpectedly on me, or should I use something else to contain the beads? Anything else I should know? ----Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Next time you go to Wal-Mart or any other place that sells shoes take one of those stocking sock things that you use to try on shoes. Fill it with beads. Take the green foam out and put the bead bag in its place. works great for me.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    leonard:
    Next time you go to Wal-Mart or any other place that sells shoes take one of those stocking sock things that you use to try on shoes. Fill it with beads. Take the green foam out and put the bead bag in its place. works great for me.
    thats what i did when i converted a puck.

however, the majority of the beads in my humidors are in boxes made from old cigar boxes. if i just used the beads that fit in the pucks i would not have enough in there ot regulate the humidity.

i have about twice the recommended amount in there.