Home Cigar 101
Options

question...

SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
Has any one ever heard of putting a slice of fruit in your humidor to control your humidity? The lady in my local smoke shop said to try it. Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of these cigar shops keep the humidity in there humidors at different levels. Should I be concerned buying cigars from them?

Comments

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Not sure about controlling the humidity, but its a pretty safe bet that putting a slice of fruit in your humidor will affect the taste of your cigars.
  • Options
    bigtattoo79bigtattoo79 Posts: 36

I think a slice of fruit would grow mold faster than anything (I dont know tho).

Thanks Lance

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, since fruit is pretty sugary, I think it'd grow something fuzzy very fast.
  • Options
    mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Posts: 686
    this an old trick for helping to keep certain roliing tobaccos fresh, not at all a good idea for humidors, there was actually i guy on here asking how to get the mold off his cigars from doing this.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SlickRS:
    Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of these cigar shops keep the humidity in there humidors at different levels. Should I be concerned buying cigars from them?
    not unless it is outside the range that is good for cigars
    less than 55% RH or greater than 75% RH and i wouldnt buy. other than that i would just let em sit in my humidor far a a few weeks before smoking them.
  • Options

alienmisprint:
    Not sure about controlling the humidity, but its a pretty safe bet that putting a slice of fruit in your humidor will affect the taste of your cigars.

I don't know if the fruit is suppose to solve the humidity problem. But it a pintch you can use a piece of fruit until you can get the sticks home. 

• Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    SlickRS:

alienmisprint:

I don't know if the fruit is suppose to solve the humidity problem. But it a pintch you can use a piece of fruit until you can get the sticks home. 

I don't follow, until you can get the sticks home from where? The B&M? That's not really an issue, is it. And who wants to walk around with slices of fruit. Take a charged water pillow if you're really worried about it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I was just asking if any one heard of using a piece of fruit for humidity purposes. Just trying to get info............
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I do remember this question before posted on another thread, I think it specifically mentioned orange...so I guess that theory must be floating around out there. with someone.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'm pretty sure that using apple cores was once considered a good way to maintain proper humidity - - - mind you, this was in the 1800's or so, before they found better methods. I'd say just buy online - your B/M doesn't sound too up to date with modern technology
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I have been known to use fruit to moisten cookies, it really does work but more than a day, MAYBE 2, and that fruit will mold like crazy, moist and dark, thats what mold loves. not to mention the sugar content of fruit. fruit could be used in some where like phx, where you have a choice of having cigars at 10% vs 50% humidty, but its not a long term solution by any means.
  • Options
    jihiggs:
    I have been known to use fruit to moisten cookies, it really does work but more than a day, MAYBE 2, and that fruit will mold like crazy, moist and dark, thats what mold loves. not to mention the sugar content of fruit. fruit could be used in some where like phx, where you have a choice of having cigars at 10% vs 50% humidty, but its not a long term solution by any means.
    Thanks guys.....