Home Cigar 101
Options

humistatis

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
My humidor appears to have reached stasis. When I first put it into service and calibrated the dial, it settled down and read around 72%. Went down a bit per day. Juiced the doodad. Came up. Went down. juiced the doodad. Came up. Slowly descended to 68% and stuck. Been reading right there ever since then. I've opened the box, put stuff in, taken stuff out, makes no diff. Always at 68% regardless. At this rate, the pint bottle of go-juice the B&M sold me is gonna be a lifetime supply.

Is it normal for the thing to settle in and park right where you want it like this? Or ought I assume my dial is kaput unless it moves.

Note that I am in the Mid-Atlantic where it gets stuffy all Summer.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's advisable to do a salt test and re-calibrate every 6 months or so. Just MHO.

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I think it's advisable to do a salt test and re-calibrate every 6 months or so. Just MHO.

I agree; re-calibrating won't hurt and is a good way to double check that your hygrometer is working properly and hasn't gone wonky.

But it is entirely possible you have reached "humistasis," especially if your humidor's seal is good and you're not adding or removing large numbers of cigars at a time since. Seeing as the sticks themselves become your biggest source of humidification (volume wise) once they've acclimated to the humidor.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    jgibv:
    jlmarta:

I agree; re-calibrating won't hurt and is a good way to double check that your hygrometer is working properly and hasn't gone wonky.

But it is entirely possible you have reached "humistasis," especially if your humidor's seal is good and you're not adding or removing large numbers of cigars at a time since. Seeing as the sticks themselves become your biggest source of humidification (volume wise) once they've acclimated to the humidor.
    +2 on recalibrating periodically, ESPECIALLY, if its an analog hygro.

Another thing to keep in mind is the changing seasons will throw your humidity out of whack a little. In the usmmer months its usualy much easier to maintain humidity, where the winter months typically make it challenging to maintain.

Moral of the story, just keep that thing calibrated, trust what it says, and roll with the punches and adjust as you need to. Sometimes you may find that you can go months without jiucing your humidifiers, but other times it feels like every 2 weeks you feel that you need to. Just roll with it.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Our in a humid area just like me!! I use boveda to decrease the humidity and it sounds like you have the same issue
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    tkohlertkohler Posts: 70
    One thing to note, I assume the go-juice you're referring to is a 50/50 glycol solution of some sort. I wouldn't continue to use this solution in your sponge or whatever, as eventually you'll just end up with a glycol soaked sponge, and no room for water. Use the 50/50 solution when you first season, then use distilled water. If after 6-12 months you notice your humidity really changing again, then use the 50/50 again.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes mine will hold steady for days then all of a sudden it will go up and down depending on what time of day it is. Last night it got up to 72% then this morning it's at 66%.