Home General Discussion
Options

Just noticed cigars seem to repel bugs!

Might seem random, but I found it interesting. I decided to smoke another CAO tonight not sure what it was, it was wrapped in cedar and just banded CAO imported. It was fairly enjoyable. On the main point though, around here the bugs seem to get pretty bad about sunset. I usually get eaten alive, but while smoking cigars they seem to leave me alone all together. Not one bite, I don't think I even saw a mosquito the entire smoke... So either they all died off suddenly, or more likely they don't like cigars. I'm going to have to say they are missing out. Anyone else notice this? I'm sure I'm making a bigger deal out of it then it really is haha!

Comments

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i too was smoking a cao tonight an osa sol, and i on the other hand noticed alot more critters. maybe the bugs around here dig the cigar smoke!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    It may sometimes repel the mosquitos, but for me it seems that many times it attarcts moths. I actually keep track of how long it takes for them to show up. Maybe its the lights in the yard or garage, but I tend to think it is the smoke.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Interesting. I'm sure there are millions of factors that play into it. Maybe I just picked a good night. It did seem to be a bit cooler here than the past few nights. On a side note I am fairly sure it was a CAO Black.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's very true. Here's how I got into cigars a year ago: I went to the cigar store, told them I was going camping in a damp place and I wanted some cigars to hand out round the camp fire because they repel bugs. Didn't want to spend much since the other guys might not like cigars, so they might wind up in the fire. Wasn't a smoker myself, so they should not be strong. Told him what I like to eat and drink. Told him what grandpa's cigars looked like. He suggested Factory Throwout #59 Claros.

Man knew his business. I've spent gobs at his store since.

All started with bug repellent.

I don't think it's any accident that Indians in skeetery places rolled their uppowoc long before Chris sailed nigh.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Up here, in the great white north, we call them "buggetterridders" for that same reason. It seems some cigars work better than others for getting rid of the bugs, but the better cigars up here attact butterflies...sometimes even landing on your smoking hand. The black flies and mosquitos hate the smoke. The cheaper the cigar, the better it works for getting rid of the biting insects.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sometimes cigars will repel annoying people too. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Sometimes cigars will repel annoying people too. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.
    so true. I enjoy that.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    j0z3r:
    so true. I enjoy that.
    I hurrrd that jojo. sometimes it'll repel BBWs too.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    j0z3r:
    so true. I enjoy that.
    Big Bad Wolves? I suppose little red riding hood should have had a Cohiba burning at Grandma's house.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    j0z3r:
    so true. I enjoy that.
    Doesn't do too bad a job at repelling monster-in-laws either.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    j0z3r:
    so true. I enjoy that.
    Big Bad Wolves? I suppose little red riding hood should have had a Cohiba burning at Grandma's house.
    Does it really repel BBWs? Dammit!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    From my experience the OSA SOL repels just about everything and everyone.

I'm just bitter for I bought a 5er when they came out and wasn't impressed each month I smoked one.... blah
  • Options
    JapilisJapilis Posts: 11
    So i am not the only one who has seen butterfly's hanging out when i smoke.. that is crazy!
  • Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    The hell they do, not here in New England. I'm getting eating alive tonight
  • Options
    RobIsSweetRobIsSweet Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    I got bit this afternoon smoking with insomnia.. so he must have just got lucky
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    We've had a really wet winter here in California and I'm noticing a lot of bugs (gnat sized) today on the Man Porch.  The CrayCray is not repelling these annoying insects and I'm sure the mosquitoes will be around this year too.

Looking for good suggestions for repelling insects outside.

Also, has anyone heard of making a bat house from cigar boxes?  Seems like you could take out one side for this.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Did somebody start a contest to see who could necro the most/oldest threads?  ;-)
    You didn't get the memo? 

The winner gets a box of Puros Indios I've been hiding in my sock drawer for the last 2 years! 
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't get the memo? 

The winner gets a box of Puros Indios I've been hiding in my sock drawer for the last 2 years! 
    Socktillery infused cigars? 

Dayum...
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think of all the bugs you could repel...

I have noticed that mosquitos hate the smoke. Gnats do not seem to care as much. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think of all the bugs you could repel...

I have noticed that mosquitos hate the smoke. Gnats do not seem to care as much. 
    You better smoke that sucker from the side!
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Sadly, my cigars only seem to repel my wife.  :/
    Hmmmmmm.....
    I'll have to give that a try lol
     :D 
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.