Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

moscas maledictas le gustan esos

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
About a month or six weeks ago, I salted away some home rolled stogies, first cigars I've ever rolled. Couple weeks back, I pulled one out and lit it. Hated it. Today, I pulled out a couple more and lit them. Here's how bad they were: The two cigars sitting side by side on the workbench, both lit, three or four flies landed on them. I swear to God. Talk about your dog turrds? Flies, flies like my stix. Moscas maledictas les gustan mucho. I'm not making it up.

Both were rolled tight as a duck's a$$. When I was rolling them, I was worried they'd be too loose. Not a chance. So that's good. I can make them looser if I try again. Looser would be easier. The shape is nice and round and even. That's good. And the burn is even too. I got inch and a half ashes, perfect burn. Look at this pic: image You can see I got the veins going the wrong way on this one. No prob. The head is all chewed up because I was sucking on it so hard. Loose will solve that.

But the taste! Like taint! Reach down in your pants, scratch where it itches, smell your fingers. Like that.

Kuzi warned me don't fall in love with home rolled just because I made them. No danger of that, Kuz.

Gotta get me some better leaf.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you ahve any more, wait at LEAST 8 months before you have another one.
    if you had a moist wrapper on them you may have started another fermentation and then you will have serious taste issues for a while.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    if you ahve any more, wait at LEAST 8 months before you have another one.
    if you had a moist wrapper on them you may have started another fermentation and then you will have serious taste issues for a while.
    His Master's Voice.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    They say that you learn from your mistakes. It seems you just got a lot smarter. Good effort brother!
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    The taste like taint comment just broke my hope of ever rolling my own. I'm trying to purge the mental images from my mind! The horror!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Trial and error my friend keep going and perfecting!! Your doing something I figure all of us have thought but never tried! For that I have to commend you for taking the extra step in this awesome hobby!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    So I shouldn't expect these at my local B&M, or online here any time soon ?
  • Options
    I am going with the "needs age" theory. And I am starting to think that's what's wrong with the John Hay as well.

Just got off the phone with Craig Smith, fifth generation Smith of FX Smith. They roll the John Hay. Tells me they roll them and shoot them right out the door. I smoked one of FX Smith's Breva cigars that I got from them just yesterday. Same deal. In fact, let me review that separately.

Anyhoo, so I am going to sort thru these, toss the ones that are too tight and hard, age the rest, stash the FX Smith as well for aging, and report back on all this next year.

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    About a month or six weeks ago, I salted away some home rolled stogies, first cigars I've ever rolled. Couple weeks back, I pulled one out and lit it. Hated it. Today, I pulled out a couple more and lit them. Here's how bad they were: The two cigars sitting side by side on the workbench, both lit, three or four flies landed on them. I swear to God. Talk about your dog turrds? Flies, flies like my stix. Moscas maledictas les gustan mucho. I'm not making it up.

Both were rolled tight as a duck's a$$. When I was rolling them, I was worried they'd be too loose. Not a chance. So that's good. I can make them looser if I try again. Looser would be easier. The shape is nice and round and even. That's good. And the burn is even too. I got inch and a half ashes, perfect burn. Look at this pic: image You can see I got the veins going the wrong way on this one. No prob. The head is all chewed up because I was sucking on it so hard. Loose will solve that.

But the taste! Like taint! Reach down in your pants, scratch where it itches, smell your fingers. Like that.

Kuzi warned me don't fall in love with home rolled just because I made them. No danger of that, Kuz.

Gotta get me some better leaf.

OH crap that was funny. Made my day you did. There are no words.
  • Options
    Dayum. Doing some research for a hobby project I am mooting just now. I entered "brands rolled by fx smith" into Google, and guess what page came up number one? This very thread!

That's what we in the bizness call SEO

Dayum.

And they say social media is just a bubble.