Home General Discussion
Options

wrapper differences...

between vitolas of the same blend. has anyone ever noticed this? that wrappers on certain smaller RG cigars are thicker and seem to be better quality than their larger RG counterparts? I've noticed this in particular with the CAO la traviata and more recently the San Lotano Ovals. The oval coronas seem to have a thicker heartier wrapper, which i think along with the smaller rg gives the cigar a more concentrated rich flavor. the larger rg of this same blend however seems not only to lose flavor and become a bit muted.. but the wrapper seems thinner and a bit more drier and brittle. ive also noticed the draws are a bit looser in the larger rg. i know there are almost always flavor differences between vitolas of each blend, but i think the leaf quality for thinner cigars seems to be better... just my 2 cents.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    same wrapper leaf on both. the leaf just looks bigger in the smaller cigar in comparison to the rest of the blend.
    you are right on the flavor thing though. the top of the second page of my "blending 101" thread explains the taste thing in a mathematical way.

as far as the draw goes, i would tend to agree especially if you have a tendency to draw hard on cigars. its like using a tiny straw in a drink vs. a huge one.
    it also has to do with how difficult it is to roll a small ring in comparison to a large. in a smaller ring gauge cigar the bunch will show flaws much faster than in a larger format.