Home Ratings & Reviews

FX Smith Breva Natural

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now, here is a cigar, made in PA, one which I truly believe has potential. What tobacco's in it? Can't tell you. They do not have a catalog! That's right -- no catalog, no brochure, no web site, no nuttin. All done the old fashioned way. So if you want to try one, better get going right away, because, apparently, with these people, failure IS an option.

It's a small torpedo, with a hole pre-punched in the tapered end, olive brown in color, box pressed, five and a half inches long, maybe a 46 or 48 gauge. Smells green and leafy. No flavor unlit. Leafy flavor to the wrapper. Draws moderately tight. Kind of a natural mulch experience.

Lights very easily with one match toasting the foot. Tastes leafy, too. Very natural and easy. Retrohale smells like hemlock. The flavor is just about like the AJ Fernandez fresh rolled, but maybe half or two thirds as strong, and with the leaf taste in there. You do have to get used to the green leaf flavor in it first. But it grows on you. And once you do, it's da bom. Very easy to live with. Nice slow burn. Moderate volume. Small as it was, it gave me a full hour and a half, and I could have burnt it longer if I'd wanted to go to the nub, but TOWMBO wanted me inside for I forget what silliness -- I think to see a picture of a pup. Very satisfying hour and a half.

Afterwards, I got a truly fine flavorful stinkfinger. Was sniffing digits until after midnight. Love that part. The stinkfinger reminds me exactly of the AJ Fresh Rolled. too. Got a wonderful morningmouth as well. Very good with coffee. Minor wheeze; just enough to smell it, and a couple buggers.

I like these things. I really do. And the price from the factory is fabulous: $34 for a box of 50! FXS sent me three each of four varieties. I sent off one of each in a bomb this morning. I am going to try each of the other three types FX sent me, then stash the remaining one of each to let them age some months. Cause here's the thing: The owner of the place got on the phone with me, we had a nice talk, and he tells me the deal is they roll them and ship them just like that. No money in the till to age anything any more. So fresh rolled and out the door.

So I am determined now to make a motorcycle expedition to beautiful downtown McSherrystown Pennsyltucky, where I will visit the factory, meet Craig, talk some business, smell some stix, and post you guys some pics. Do we have any bike riding BOTLs in MD, DE, or this corner of PA who want to make a ride out of it? Who's up for a putt 'n puff?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)