Mike Giannini is crazy, but we all knew that. This is his latest invention. LAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwq9DiN67Oc&feature=player_embedded#at=75

Comments

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    thanks Wes
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't 'The Face' kind of a smokable cigar band already? Not to undercut this...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Cool, It's probably etched by laser like a lot of things I've seen like it. I'd pick a few up.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Looks pretty cool. I don't know what I would do though. I like to keep my bands in a bag.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    On a monetary stand I wonder which is more cost productive ??? a regular band or this??? I dont really get it, Im into the quality of the cigar first and foremost
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if this is just novelty, or if they are able to produce a notable flavor change with it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jthanatos:
    It will be interesting to see if this is just novelty, or if they are able to produce a notable flavor change with it.
    I don't really think that's the point. Have you ever been smoking a cigar and for whatever reason forgot to take the band off? I know I've done this numerous times, as I'm sure many others have, whether it was because I was really into the cigar and not paying attention or because it was dark and I didn't notice. What if that was not a concern? Of course it's a novelty, but there's also some practicality in it.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    jthanatos:
    I don't really think that's the point. Have you ever been smoking a cigar and for whatever reason forgot to take the band off? I know I've done this numerous times, as I'm sure many others have, whether it was because I was really into the cigar and not paying attention or because it was dark and I didn't notice. What if that was not a concern? Of course it's a novelty, but there's also some practicality in it.
    Or how about all the times the wrapper gets ruined on a nice cigar... Had that happen on an upmann this weekend, totally pissed.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i LIKE taking the band off....

i wonder how it tastes
    Ken Light:
    Wasn't 'The Face' kind of a smokable cigar band already? Not to undercut this...
    you bring up a good point.
    however, the face just had a faux band. by that, i mean, the band was just a strip of tobacco added for decoration. its very much like the "N" on the LGC series N or a portion of the bands on the Sol Cubano Artisan.

this smokable band has what lookd like a printed logo on it and it is not a tobacco leaf but made from tobacco leaves. im not really sure about this process or how it tastes, but it is interesting.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    jthanatos:
    What I wrote made more sense in my head. I meant, if the band burns and puts off smoke, it will affect flavor, no matter how little. The questions are will they let it taste like what it tastes like, will they attempt to adjust it to be flavor neutral to the cigar, or will they be able to use it to use it to add to the overall complexity of the cigar or create commplimentary notes with the last third burn?

The first option seems unlikely, who would let all the work in developing a flavor profile be marred by a novelty band. The second seems most likely, but a waste of an opportunity. The third is most intriguing to me. At the end of the day, this band will make the cigar more expensive in the short term in some way. Research costs, setup costs and the like must be recovered either by charging more or giving less. As such, while the band is a part of the cigar experience for me, taste is the most important and I would hope that it would be the driving force behind any innovation(naive, I know).

Long story short, would I try one, sure. Would I pay more for just a band that burns (and losing the ability to keep my favorite bands), no.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

So lets start with this item first....

I USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION AND IT WORKED! lol

Second... Any development on the smokable band front? Are there any other manufacturers that have done this or is there anything worth while on the market?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Beatnic
    LGC Trunk Show is what comes to mind...
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize who the initial post came from. :-( *moment of silence*
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize who the initial post came from. :-( *moment of silence*
    damn right.

one true BOTL right there.

LGC did release a smokable band made from a product similar to the sheet tobacco used to make the outer wrapper on stuff similar to swisher, backwoods, or any other machine made cigar.

so yes, the band can be smoked and it is all tobacco, but the quality is low. i have never had one but i hear there is almost no impact on flavor.