Home General Discussion
Options

Pairing Tequila with Cigars

TGOTGO Posts: 340 ✭✭
As many of my So Cal Brothers know I am a HUGE fan of both tequila and cigars. I have brought tequila to share at our So Cal herfs including one of my all time favorites, Casa Noble (it was a coveted, signed, first edition single barrel reposado). I have been active in the tequila community for years and my friends at Casa Noble asked me recently to write an article for their blog on pairing tequila with cigars. I was honored. It was a challenge to pick 3 cigars to pair but I decided to focus on cigars that I feel strongly about/really like that pair well with the specific tequila expressions, and can be found at most B&M's. Here is a link to the blog if any BOTL/SOTL are interesed.

http://santanatequila.com/?p=3648 We may disagree on the specific selection of cigars but keep in mind they were selected for pairing with the specific tequilas and ease of finding them at a B&M (plus all preferences are ultimately individual experiences). I would love to hear your comments on the overall content if any of you feel so inclined. Be nice (we are all BOTL/SOTL) but I can handle constructive criticisms :) Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. I'm a tequila fan (Casa Azul mainly or Don Julio 1942. I havn't venture too far from those two recently). I like to pair them with cigars with citrus notes. Looking to hopefully smoke a Tat Cabaiguan with some 1942 when I get some time to sit down and enjoy them. Should be a solid combo.
  • Options
    TGOTGO Posts: 340 ✭✭
    bigfnsteve:
    Thanks for the link. I'm a tequila fan (Casa Azul mainly or Don Julio 1942. I havn't venture too far from those two recently). I like to pair them with cigars with citrus notes. Looking to hopefully smoke a Tat Cabaiguan with some 1942 when I get some time to sit down and enjoy them. Should be a solid combo.
    The Rocky Patel summer collection 2008 lancero had the most pronounced citrus notes I have ever experienced... dam good cigar! Would go great with a good blanco or repo (imo). Have you tried the RP summer 2008? I don't think they have been available for some time, sadly
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Great article Tim! I always look forward to your stories at the so cal herfs.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome ..... I love to drink tequila with my cigars and my goto tequila is the Corzo Anejo ...... Hands down my favorite that I've had. Now all I need to do is get Hew Hampshire liquor store to carry it as they only stock the reposado.
  • Options
    I will agree that this is awesome. I always see people posting about whiskey, scotch, and rum so it's nice to see someone who likes tequila. I have been wanting to try Case Noble for some time now and seeing that is someone's favorite makes me want to go out and get it tomorrow! My favorite that I have had to date would be Amor Mio Anejo which we brought back from Mexico, followed by Clase Azul Reposado.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'll tell you guys...if you want someone who knows his tequila, Tim is the man to talk to. He's educated me a helluva lot on the subject and shared some fine examples along the way.
  • Options
    TGO:
    bigfnsteve:
    The Rocky Patel summer collection 2008 lancero had the most pronounced citrus notes I have ever experienced... dam good cigar! Would go great with a good blanco or repo (imo). Have you tried the RP summer 2008? I don't think they have been available for some time, sadly
    I have not. Ill put my general disdain for RP aside and give it a shot though. I`ll keep an eye for`em. Thanks!
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigfnsteve, with Casa Azul, Platino Clear bottle has such a sweet ending and 1942 has the pepper ending, you grabbed two ends of the specturm!! I too am a tequila fan (actually wife is) no shots mostly sipping like you are supposed to. Had my first Casa Noble in Vegas at MGM about 4-5 years ago very good, the carmel aroma were/are amazing first bottle wife bought when back home to add to collection, as is stands have about 25-35 bottles in collection not including the Patron Cafe and the new Dark Cafe and a few tequila infused. Wife's favorite is Casa Azul Platino, tried few years ago in Old Town San Diego, they lined up short shot after short shot about 30-40 total and treid a bunch and made notes. Problem we had was the rubber cork on the Casa Azul didn't fair well in flight home. lost about 1/3 of bottle!!! Apologizes just started rambling!! Just wanted to say love tequila!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I'll tell you guys...if you want someone who knows his tequila, Tim is the man to talk to. He's educated me a helluva lot on the subject and shared some fine examples along the way.
    Yep, before I knew Tim, I had no idea that sipping tequila even existed. Tequila and cigars have become a summer time staple for me now.
  • Options
    Mike, That was why I was looking at the '42 and the cab. The cab has a tad bit of pepper on the finish that would blend well with the '42. I'm currently out of Casa Azul. I normaly pick it up when I'm out in manila as its about 80 bucks a bottle. So its a steal and much prefer that to '42. The Casa Azul Platino is on another level. It can be difficult to obtain up here. Only time I've been able to aquire a bottle Platinum is when I hijack a bottle or two from a buddies night club.
    As far as shots.. yeah I don't do the shot thing either.. at home I sip it.. out "clubbing" its straight out of the bottle. My avatar (Holding a bottle of Dom)was at a "Pimps n hos" *** cancer charity event. I got a picture of me some place upending a bottle of 1942. We'll just say that was a good night :p The Dom julio mix is awesome... but only if you want to go on a serious bender :p

It edited B R E A S T ?! REALLY?!
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Can find Casa Azul in So Cal, at home use brandy sniffers awesome for sipping, actually Jose cuervo has a Platino that comes in a blue box, not too bad. Don Julio, my son gets me 1.75 for $49.99 nice to have around. Tres Generation anjeo isn't bad either reasonable.
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TGO:
    bigfnsteve:
    The RP summer collection 2008 is the ONLY RP box I have ever bought. The local B&M bought a box, knowing I am a cameroon fiend and after the third one, I bought the box.
    It is the one RP cigar that if I ever find more, I'll be hard pressed not to hock half my stuff to get them.

They were made for 2008 & 2009, although it is my personal opinion that the 2008 was a better blend or crop? Dunno, just liked the 08 ones better.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    MVW67:
    Can find Casa Azul in So Cal, at home use brandy sniffers awesome for sipping, actually Jose cuervo has a Platino that comes in a blue box, not too bad. Don Julio, my son gets me 1.75 for $49.99 nice to have around. Tres Generation anjeo isn't bad either reasonable.
    I was meaning the Casa Azul Platinum. Anyway have you had the Don Julio 1942?
    Washington state liquer taxes kill us up here. A 750 ML bottle is 50 bucks ish. Unless I get it at the reservation
    They privatized Liquer sales back in June and then raised the taxes to help combat "under age drinking and loss of state revenues"... etc. Such a joke
    Come on mike party a little.. Get some crazy electronic music going, get some double fisting action with some Dom P and Don Julio 1942 and start fist pumping! It's fun you should try it! hahahah But when you do please record this and post it. :)