Home General Discussion

cigar description from the makers company

When looking at a cigar and reading its flavor profile, who actually describes the cigars qualitys and profile? Is it the man himself which the cigar is known for, such as rocky patel, etc., is it a person dedicated to just this 1 job, or other??? I was just wondering bc it seems like more times than not a cigar description isnt as close as to what it tastes like in real life. Or even from so called aficianados, and we know about cigar aficianado so we wont go there. Are we that novice as to not pick out all these flavors or better yet get a totally different taste as to what the maker designed. Or are they hoping a cigar tastes a certain way and never really try it out to give an accurate description?????

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'm guessing it's the head marketing executive who does this; though if you go to the website, you can see videos of rocky talking about each of his cigars.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    My best guess is the same as betasynn's, it's probably a marketing exec. As for the flavors being picked out, you may have a totally different experience than me even if we smoked the exact same stick, it's all due to our personal tastes. If you have a tendency to pick up a creamy element in a lot of sticks, then you will probably taste some cream in almost everything, the only things that we can really pick up out of cigars is strength, spiciness, very broad flavors like that. But if you hear some guy saying that he got a taste of walnuts out of a certain cigar, you may not ever get that same flavor out of it because something in the flavor profile of the stick triggers the memory of walnuts for him.

Bottom line, don't worry about it, sometimes you'll get certain flavors that aren't even mentioned in the flavor profile, heck, I get a toffee flavor out of pretty much all the 5 Vegas Golds that I smoked and I have never seen that specific flavor mentioned in any site's flavor profile for that stick.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I bet theres more than one person responsible for the description. Each person tastes differently so to let one person describe what he thinks the cigar is all about seems very dangerous from a marketing stand point as the company I'm sure wants everyone to find a little something they describe in there. So I'm going with a tasting dept that comes to a concensus then a description. I just can't imagine its only one guy. Also Alex probably has the correct answer to this question if he happens to read this thread ...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    speaking of nuts... =)

I'm not entirely sure as well, but I do know that I can tell if a cigar is creamy or not, or if it has cocoa in it or coffee. I do think pairing a cigar will bring out more flavor. It's very different for each person though I'm sure that if you had say four of us smoke the same cigar there would be tastes that we all could detect, just maybe more so than the other. So I would think that a description of a cigar would come from a combined consensus of those involved.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    speaking of nuts... =)

I'm not entirely sure as well, but I do know that I can tell if a cigar is creamy or not, or if it has cocoa in it or coffee. I do think pairing a cigar will bring out more flavor. It's very different for each person though I'm sure that if you had say four of us smoke the same cigar there would be tastes that we all could detect, just maybe more so than the other. So I would think that a description of a cigar would come from a combined consensus of those involved.

So your sayin' we agree Squirrely ...;)
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Depends on who you are asking or what site. If it is on the makers site, usually their people including marketing the actual head of the company. If you are asking about the descriptions at Cigar.com, I write those along with Josh. We base it on a hybrid of our experiences with the brand, the makers description and we read many reviews online to look for common themes. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, cigars and the individual experience is very subjective.

One big issue is how things change industry wide. If you asked someone in the 1990's about what cigars are full bodied, they would tell you Partagas. By todays standards, Partagas is medium bodied. The cigar and the blend have not changed, but what people consider strong has.
  • I agree we all have different tastes. Just kind of wondering who makes or group makes the decisions. I usually when smoking a new cigar take a draw with my eyes closed and slowly let the smoke out and see what comes to mind when i taste the smoke. I do this also when i have a very good cigar and want to heighten the experience more than usual. For some reason i think the sense of sight throws me off when trying to decipher a certain taste. Or im just coo coo for cocoa puffs.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    If you asked someone in the 1990's about what cigars are full bodied, they would tell you Partagas. By todays standards, Partagas is medium bodied. The cigar and the blend have not changed, but what people consider strong has.
    semi related....

what do you think is the strongest cigar out there?

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Alex Svenson:
    If you asked someone in the 1990's about what cigars are full bodied, they would tell you Partagas. By todays standards, Partagas is medium bodied. The cigar and the blend have not changed, but what people consider strong has.
    That's because OpusX came out and kicked everyone's ****. :-) I still have yet to really enjoy that cigar. Way to strong for me.