Home General Discussion
Options

Wineador?

Hey guys,
I'm considering building myself a wineador. I was wondering if anyone else has done this already (i'm sure a few have). I know that I could just do a cooler, but I would like to have something I don't need to stick in the basement to make sure it's at a safe temperature. I was leaning towards a wineador, because it seems to be the most stable environment I can get. I have found a 28 bottle wine cooler for around the top of my budget on that part of the project. It would give me about 66 quarts if compared to a cooler. This would be before I lined it with cedar. I know I could just buy a cooler for a bit less. I am currently unaware of my living situation though and may need to relocate soon, so something that is stable no matter where I put it seems worthwhile to me. I priced out some quality coolers around the same size (60 quart), and it seems to me that they are at least 1/3 of the price of a wine cooler. Does anyone have and feedback, comments, or suggestions? Keep in mind I'm not looking for price comparisons etc. I know a cooler will be cheaper (I don't care). sorry to be so forward about that.

Comments

• Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    I love mine!!! Cigars come out perfect. Best investment I have made with this hobby.

Its a Vinotemp 26,compressor cooled unit. It takes a lot of work to get a compressor cooled unit to hold RH steady, but it can done. Your best bet is to find a thermoelectric unit and buy two pounds of beads. Clean out the plastic smell, plug the drain hole, get some cigar boxes for storage, season them, leave them in the cooler a few days before adding sticks. After that add your sticks and enjoy!!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Speaking from experience in building two of my own (essentially) here is the things you will need:

1. Spanish Cedar: Either the kind you cut your own, or there are places online that will allow you to give them your dimensions and they will build you slats and shelves
    2. Non-Ammoniated cleaning agent to clean the whole inside
    3. Newspaper to crumple and fill the inside with for a few days to absorb the plastic smell
    4. Hot Glue Gun for the best NON smelly way to secure your cedar to your walls
    5. A Cork, to plug the drain hole of your wine-a-dor (more airtight the better)
    6. LOTS of beads. Beads work best here for you will be dealing with a varying amount of temps (Thermo-electrics can usually only cool down about 10*F less than the ambiant room temp
    7. Patience... You have to clean it, let it dry completely, fill it with crumpled newspaper and wait a few days for the plastic smell to be gone, glue your cedar to the walls and place your shelves in and then with ALL that cedar your initial seasoning will take FIVEever...

But once it's done, you will always look at it with pride!

P.S. I mentioned Thermoelectric earlier, I hope you know to NOT get one with a compressor, it will dry your cigars out
  • Options
    Also, if I were to buy a NEXT one I have found a really good deal online for a 28 bottle thermoelectric for $205 shipped to your door. PM if you'd like more info
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Speaking from experience in building two of my own (essentially) here is the things you will need:

1. Spanish Cedar: Either the kind you cut your own, or there are places online that will allow you to give them your dimensions and they will build you slats and shelves
    3. Newspaper to crumple and fill the inside with for a few days to absorb the plastic smell
    6. LOTS of beads. Beads work best here for you will be dealing with a varying amount of temps (Thermo-electrics can usually only cool down about 10*F less than the ambiant room temp
    7. Patience... You have to clean it, let it dry completely, fill it with crumpled newspaper and wait a few days for the plastic smell to be gone, glue your cedar to the walls and place your shelves in and then with ALL that cedar your initial seasoning will take FIVEever...

P.S. I mentioned Thermoelectric earlier, I hope you know to NOT get one with a compressor, it will dry your cigars out
    FYI...the two guys I know with compressor units have never had that issue and they work perfectly. Given the longevity of the compressor cooled unit, I don't see a reason not to go that route. Ninja recently started his with the Oasis XL and no beads and is having perfect success....

I definately recommend going this route to anyone and wish I had gone it initially. The smokes that come out of the wineador are perfect. Jiunn can chime in to with this.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I haven't actually purchased the wine cooler yet. I am waiting a while to start the project till I have funds set aside. I don't want to have a cooler sitting with no cash flow to finish it. I was leaning towards thermo electric for sure. PM to you Lasabar.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    insomnniapb:
    I haven't actually purchased the wine cooler yet. I am waiting a while to start the project till I have funds set aside. I don't want to have a cooler sitting with no cash flow to finish it. I was leaning towards thermo electric for sure. PM to you Lasabar.
    Do your research on them, plenty of people complain about them dying in no time. $300 and some empty boxes is waht you will need really. Considering how much I spent on a couple collers and a desktop, it was a mistake not to go the wineador route.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Lasabar:

FYI...the two guys I know with compressor units have never had that issue and they work perfectly. Given the longevity of the compressor cooled unit, I don't see a reason not to go that route. Ninja recently started his with the Oasis XL and no beads and is having perfect success....

I definately recommend going this route to anyone and wish I had gone it initially. The smokes that come out of the wineador are perfect. Jiunn can chime in to with this.
    +1. Jason helped me build mine. I have a vinotemp T-28 and it works amazingingly. PM me if you want to know the "how to." My cigars smoke and feel great. I'll snap some more pics of it tonight (if pics turn out ok haha).
  • Options
    Lasabar:

Double post, sorry
  • Options
    Lasabar:

I will agree with everything except, you don't need to hot glue cedar to the walls, its a waste of time and money.

Second, compressor units work just fine, as you can see from the pic above. Compressor units are built better and last longer. Thermoelectric units are known as throw aways, cause the only last about 3 years or so before you have to buy a new one, unless you spend money on a top of the line unit right off the top. A cheap thermoelectric will work and work well, just keep the rest in mind.
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    Lasabar:

I will agree with everything except, you don't need to hot glue cedar to the walls, its a waste of time and money.

Second, compressor units work just fine, as you can see from the pic above. Compressor units are built better and last longer. Thermoelectric units are known as throw aways, cause the only last about 3 years or so before you have to buy a new one, unless you spend money on a top of the line unit right off the top. A cheap thermoelectric will work and work well, just keep the rest in mind.
    are you calling my wineador cheap?! why you little jerk face...
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    Lasabar:

Why do you say it's a waste of money? I currently don't have plans on buying box's of cigars. I will be keeping singles in there till I do buy box's. I would think you would want some form or cedar around your cigars?
  • Options
    Also I would not mind having a compressor if it weren't for the fact that I will be keeping it in my bedroom for the time being, compressors might be a bit annoying running while I'm trying to sleep.
  • Options
    jliu:
    Smokindaddy:
    Lasabar:

are you calling my wineador cheap?! why you little jerk face...
    No way Jose, you bought a really nice unit, one of the better ones out there that is thermoelectric
  • Options
    insomnniapb:
    Smokindaddy:
    Lasabar:

Why do you say it's a waste of money? I currently don't have plans on buying box's of cigars. I will be keeping singles in there till I do buy box's. I would think you would want some form or cedar around your cigars?
    Its a waste of money installing cedar on any of the walls in the cooler. As you can see from the pic about I do not have any cedar on my walls. I went down to my local B&M and bought or was given some cedar cigar boxes. I use them for storage and they work very well. Each box keeps its own RH and the sticks come out perfect. Out of the boxes I have, only a few are actually box buys, the rest just house the single sticks I have. Now if you see a pic of Jiunn's wineador, every box you will see is a box buy, Jiunn is just crazy like that lol. I personally would never attempt to hot glue anything to the plastic walls of a wine cooler. It could turn out to be quite tragic..
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    insomnniapb:
    Smokindaddy:
    Lasabar:

Its a waste of money installing cedar on any of the walls in the cooler. As you can see from the pic about I do not have any cedar on my walls. I went down to my local B&M and bought or was given some cedar cigar boxes. I use them for storage and they work very well. Each box keeps its own RH and the sticks come out perfect. Out of the boxes I have, only a few are actually box buys, the rest just house the single sticks I have. Now if you see a pic of Jiunn's wineador, every box you will see is a box buy, Jiunn is just crazy like that lol. I personally would never attempt to hot glue anything to the plastic walls of a wine cooler. It could turn out to be quite tragic..
    haha I was just kidding jason wason about the cheap wineador. it's been working great so that's all I care aboot. Plus, I got 6 year warranty on it.

as far as cedar along the walls, totally not necessary. Cigars inside the cedar boxes will do them just fine. I actually took an extra step and put a boveda pack in all of my unsealed boxes (just to have that extra peace o mind). my wineador smells like a walk in humi but temp conrolled. pretty neato. you may want to overall do some googling and youtubing. jot down some notes on what folks are saying to do and not to do. I did that and it helped me quite a bit.
  • Options
    jliu:
    Smokindaddy:
    insomnniapb:
    Smokindaddy:
    Lasabar:

haha I was just kidding jason wason about the cheap wineador. it's been working great so that's all I care aboot. Plus, I got 6 year warranty on it.

as far as cedar along the walls, totally not necessary. Cigars inside the cedar boxes will do them just fine. I actually took an extra step and put a boveda pack in all of my unsealed boxes (just to have that extra peace o mind). my wineador smells like a walk in humi but temp conrolled. pretty neato. you may want to overall do some googling and youtubing. jot down some notes on what folks are saying to do and not to do. I did that and it helped me quite a bit.
    That makes sense. I was just going to ask do you keep each box set up separate, or do you just throw them in the cooler with a bunch of beads, litter or whatever you use in the bottom?
  • Options
    insomnniapb:
    jliu:
    Smokindaddy:
    insomnniapb:
    Smokindaddy:
    Lasabar:

That makes sense. I was just going to ask do you keep each box set up separate, or do you just throw them in the cooler with a bunch of beads, litter or whatever you use in the bottom?
    I have my boxes in with beads and a cigar oasis xl
  • Options
    I agree that you should go online and youtube and figure out what you want to do for yourself.
    I apologize for dealing in absolutes in my original post, you CAN buy a fridge with a compressor, but it technically will dry out your air in the fridge. Yes, you can compensate with the amount of beads in it or an active humidifier, but you will use less distilled water with a thermoelectric unit.
    Lining the walls with cedar is not a necessity, but it is also not a waste of money, the more cedar you have the more wood you have to add to the aroma and to help your fridge regulate swings in humidity.
    Do all the research you can and make your own decisions and do what fits/looks/feels best for you
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting thread..Jiunn needs to post his pic...that thing is packed like a fat kid at camp..Damn it is full. Very impressive..BTW make sures it's covered in the homeowner insurance policy!!
  • Options
    i shall put er up. i had to re-org it since the last time. put too much crap in so the wineador gave me a big middle finger.
  • Options
    too late to take a decent pic of it. lighting is horrible. so check out my orig wineador pic. crystal clear picture I know
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    too late to take a decent pic of it. lighting is horrible. so check out my orig wineador pic. crystal clear picture I know
    Whats the model # on this one.
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    jliu:
    Whats the model # on this one.
    Its a vinotemp VT-28TED
  • Options
    ^^^ what mister jason said above. it works great so far.
  • Options
    jliu:
    ^^^ what mister jason said above. it works great so far.
    Its one of the better thermoelectric units out there
  • Options
    WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    There is only one reason why I'm not pulling the trigger on this. I'm too afraid that I would buy one of the wine coolers(thermo-electric) and 6 months down the road it will die on me. Too many horror storys and reviews it seems like. Now I know the more $$$ I put in, the better the unit(usually it seems like it). Still need to do more research first, I know Thermoelectric is the way to go, but the compressor ones seem to last longer but are a problem to get the humidity right.
  • Options
    WaterDemon:
    There is only one reason why I'm not pulling the trigger on this. I'm too afraid that I would buy one of the wine coolers(thermo-electric) and 6 months down the road it will die on me. Too many horror storys and reviews it seems like. Now I know the more $$$ I put in, the better the unit(usually it seems like it). Still need to do more research first, I know Thermoelectric is the way to go, but the compressor ones seem to last longer but are a problem to get the humidity right.
    I have a compressor unit, check out the pic on the first page of this thread. It works great. Cigars smoke and burn perfect. Yes there is a humidity spike when the unit cools but that is quickly corrected by the two pounds of beads and the oasis xl I have in there. Plus I have done many tests on the boxes inside the unit. Each holds its own RH and does not spike during the cool down. This really is the best way to keep your sticks.
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    WaterDemon:
    I have a compressor unit, check out the pic on the first page of this thread. It works great. Cigars smoke and burn perfect. Yes there is a humidity spike when the unit cools but that is quickly corrected by the two pounds of beads and the oasis xl I have in there. Plus I have done many tests on the boxes inside the unit. Each holds its own RH and does not spike during the cool down. This really is the best way to keep your sticks.
    So I would need 2lbs of beads, AND an oasis xl? Seems a bit much. O.o
  • Options
    WaterDemon:
    Smokindaddy:
    WaterDemon:
    So I would need 2lbs of beads, AND an oasis xl? Seems a bit much. O.o
    Not at all, that's just what I'm using. My brother in law has the same unit and the only thing he uses is a humi Care large unit that will control humidity up to 20 square feet and it works great. He bought it cheap from an auction site.
  • Options
    Ah ok, I'll look into it. I seen some people who made these, once they broke and the warranty goes up they convert them into a big humidor box. So it seems like a dual use after the compressor/electricity dies in them. If I can find a good price on one I'll **** it up.