Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Metal Fans

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Take 2 parts Sevendust and add 2 parts Creed/Alter Bridge and you get Projected. This is the next big thing. Check out the video and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KSLrqkW10&feature=colike

Comments

• Options
    Not trying to stomp on anyone's opinions or anything but I feel like any supergroup containing a member of Alter Bridge that isn't Myles Kennedy is almost a waste. The man's got a voice of gold. I prefer it over John Connolly.
  • Options
    ummmmmm yeah this has nothing to do with Myles Kennedy and wasn't a who is your favorite singer post. He has enough of his own projects. This was to point out a new band put together so guys can check them out. Great singer and all though. I like Creed, Alter Bridge, and Sevendust. Each is unique and throwing a couple of guys from each into the mix results in an amazing band, Projected. I saw Myles with Alter Bridge and they were awesome. I don't like his Slash stuff so much but that is just because I don't really like all of the songs.

My toes are okay. No worries.
  • Options
    Didn't mean to offend you man. Ever look into any other supergroups?
  • Options
    Not offended at all. Trying to give you a hard time. Stupid internet needs a tone indicator or special fonts.

The only other group I am into right now is Call Me No One which is also 2 members from Sevendust. Always enjoy new stuff though. Solo projects like Clint Lowery's Hello Demons Meet Skeletons and Scott Weiland.
  • Options
    Haha alright, sometimes it's hard to depict how serious someone is on a forum lol. Scott Weiland is amazing! Grew up on STP and Velvet Revolver.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Take 2 parts Sevendust and add 2 parts Creed/Alter Bridge and you get Projected. This is the next big thing. Check out the video and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KSLrqkW10&feature=colike
    Thanks Jake, I really digged that!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    Come on now guys. Sevendust/Creed/Alter Bridge are not metal. And a supergroup? Just sayin..
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jasonusa1:
    Come on now guys. Sevendust/Creed/Alter Bridge are not metal. And a supergroup? Just sayin..
    How about Nickleback? Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    jasonusa1:
    Haha precisely.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jasonusa1:
    Metal is a rather large umbrella. Don't be that snobby hipster metal guy. No one likes him.

• Options
    Just giving my opinion, I think I'm entitled to that much. Besides, most people don't like a smart-a$$ either, but apparently I don't see that stopping you.

jthanatos:
    Don't be that snobby hipster metal guy. No one likes him.

And I'm fine with that.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    that's a great graph. IMO metal is dead, at least what I consider metal to be. Even Rock these days are more miss than hit IMO. I'm just getting old I guess.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jasonusa1:
    j0z3r:
    jasonusa1:
    Haha precisely.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC7Q6BNvg6E
  • Options
    And to go further... looking at that chart, basically anything with a guitar and some distortion etc. could be considered metal. I've seen Black Eyed Peas and P. Diddy using electric guitars on tv - are they metal?

BTS - Hipster metal guy hat on - Swedish death/black metal trumps everything.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    jasonusa1:
    j0z3r:
    jasonusa1:
    Haha precisely.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC7Q6BNvg6E
    Ew.
  • Options
    jasonusa1:
    Just giving my opinion, I think I'm entitled to that much. Besides, most people don't like a smart-a$$ either, but apparently I don't see that stopping you.

jthanatos:

And I'm fine with that.
    Honestly, I was trying to joke around with absurdity of trying to define what bands are or aren't metal, not upset you. If you felt my comment was a personal insult or question of your character, I apologize. Definitly not my intent. You have every right to your opinion as does anyone else.

That being said, I strongly disagree with attempting to define what bands are 'true' metal and the mentality it creates. Metal is a musical style, a point of view, and an overall way of approaching the medium. The viewpoint that such and such groups are not real metal is at the root of the overall division of current metal and hard rock music scenes. Fans are quick to shout 'sell out' if musicians do a project with those that do not fit with their definitions. Even worse, fans of one type of metal decry fans of another genre as plebians and sheep for the audacity to like what they don't.

In the end, we end up with these camps of true believers that feel everyone else is blind to the truth. This inward turning is the root of the overall stagnation we have seen in the last few years, as bands end up more and more defined by their niche. Some say you aren't metal unless you have fancy double kick tricks, some say you aren't if you can't do speed guitar, some if your singer doesn't growl, some if your singer doesn't scream, lots of bass, soaring power chords, leather, spikes, anger, nihilism....the list goes on and on. When this happens, it becomes harder to innovate, for you fear losing your demographic, and harder to be found and make the mainstream because no one wants to take a chance on another sub genre. The result is less music, less growth, and more homogenization within sub-genres.

Wow, that went on longer that I thought, and was a bit rambly. Sorry about that. Food for thought, if you went to a cigar lounge and a friend told you how much he liked a Macanudo, would you tell him he isn't a real cigar smoker....or would you hand him something you like? I guess my point is let people like what they like, and instead introduce them to new things that you like. You may be suprised at the common ground you find.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    jasonusa1:

jthanatos:

And I'm fine with that.
    Honestly, I was trying to joke around with absurdity of trying to define what bands are or aren't metal, not upset you. If you felt my comment was a personal insult or question of your character, I apologize. Definitly not my intent. You have every right to your opinion as does anyone else.

So was your intent to say I'm wrong and you're right? Not offended, but if you're going to call somebody out - which let's be honest, you did - then I don't quite understand this logic. I don't consider those at the beginning metal - again, my opinion - but now I'm apparently a hipster metal guy bc I have a preference. Ok.

jthanatos:
    Wow, that went on longer that I thought, and was a bit rambly. Sorry about that. Food for thought, if you went to a cigar lounge and a friend told you how much he liked a Macanudo, would you tell him he isn't a real cigar smoker....or would you hand him something you like? I guess my point is let people like what they like, and instead introduce them to new things that you like. You may be suprised at the common ground you find.
    This really doesn't make sense. I would find it hard to say Sevendust and Creed aren't music, bc they are. But to say they are metal, that is debatable. Saying they aren't a real cigar smoker bc they are smoking a Macanudo is just plain silly. But wouldn't you agree if I handed them a cigar that I liked immediately after they told me that I may as well be saying something along those lines?

To close. I don't care what music somebody likes.. or what their favorite cigars are. But on a forum people will voice their opinions; maybe they shouldn't - apparently it's not nice.
  • Options
    If it doesn't make me want to smash things, burn things, binge drink and fight, blow stuff up, head butt a wall, or shoot stuff....it's not metal. Although Creed and Nickleback might qualify under that definition, only because I'd wan to do all that to them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jasonusa1:

jthanatos:

And I'm fine with that.

That being said, I strongly disagree with attempting to define what bands are 'true' metal ad the mentality it creates. Metal is a musical style, a point of view, and an overall way of approaching the medium. The viewpoint that such and such groups are not real metal is at the root of the overall division of current metal and hard rock music scenes. Fans are quick to shout 'sell out' if musicians do a project with those that do not fit with their definitions. Even worse, fans of one type of metal decry fans of another genre as plebians and sheep for the audacity to like what they don't.

In the end, we end up with these camps of true believers that feel everyone else is blind to the truth. This inward turning is the root of the overall stagnation we have seen in the last few years, as bands end up more and more defined by their niche. Some say you aren't metal unless you have fancy double kick tricks, some say you aren't if you can't do speed guitar, some if your singer doesn't growl, some if your singer doesn't scream, lots of bass, soaring power chords, leather, spikes, anger, nihilism....the list goes on and on. When this happens, it becomes harder to innovate, for you fear losing your demographic, and harder to be found and make the mainstream because no one wants to take a chance on another sub genre. The result is less music, less growth, and more homogenization within sub-genres.

That's a a really good point. I like to make fun of Creed, Nickleback and the like, but at the end of the day I don't begrudge anyone their right to enjoy what they want. And you're definitely right about over classification leading to stagnation. I love the band Death, but that sure doesn't mean I want every metal band to sound that way. Death is still considered metal, right?Wink [;)]
  • Options
    jasonusa1:
    To close. I don't care what music somebody likes.. or what their favorite cigars are.

Then why come to a forum or comment? You already know what you like.

jasonusa1:
    But on a forum people will voice their opinions; maybe they shouldn't - apparently it's not nice.

There is voicing your opinion and there is being tactful. These are not mutually exclusive ideals, despite what political ads are trying to teach us.

In the end, it was wrong of me to make the hipster comment. I did sincerely mean it as a joke, in that it was an image of someone everyone knows, but no one wants to be. I am truly sorry as that extra comment was uncalled for as you don't know me and my sense of humor and beyond the scope of what I was trying to say. That metal is a very very broad genre.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    So did anyone besides me listen to the song in the original post? Any thoughts on that song? I really liked it, but I'm more of a hard rock guy than a metal guy.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    So did anyone besides me listen to the song in the original post? Any thoughts on that song? I really liked it, but I'm more of a hard rock guy than a metal guy.
    Personally wasn't my favorite. When I listen to anything but Alternative or Classic Rock, it's usually stuff like August Burns Red, The Devil Wears Prada, Chelsea Grin, Memphis May Fire. Stuff that hits hard.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    If it doesn't make me want to smash things, burn things, binge drink and fight, blow stuff up, head butt a wall, or shoot stuff....it's not metal. Although Creed and Nickleback might qualify under that definition, only because I'd wan to do all that to them.
    Yeah if I can't lift to it, and it's considered Metal, there's a problem.
  • Options
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yeah if I can't lift to it, and it's considered Metal, there's a problem.
    Slayer channel-pandora is perfect
  • Options
    Bklyn78Bklyn78 Posts: 65
    Metal hasnt been good in along time. i still listen to most of the stuff from the 80's
  • Options
    That metal chart was cool. I really don't care who thinks what is what as far as categorizing genres. I just say metal in general. I hear people talk about rock all the time and the music is no where near what I think rock is. I generally take anything post Nirvana/Alice In Chains and call it alternative metal if it is heavy and something I really enjoy.

Didn't mean to cause a debate on all this. Just wanted to share a new band coming up that I really enjoy. I have had the chance to hang with John Connolly and talk to him a few times. Got to hang with Vinnie Hornsby too and talk about a really down to earth and nice guys. I have seen these guys in concert with Sevendust many times and I am always in the front row against the barricade. I just love the energy and the interaction with them. I am hoping they have some great success. Plus I always like guys pointing out new music because I might find something I really like that I never would have checked out if a friend hadn't said something.

I wasn't calling Projected a super group but Creed/Alter Bridge and Sevendust have enjoyed some serious success. Everyone dogs Nickelback but those guys are laughing all the way to the bank. Not a fan so no comments on that.

I enjoy a huge variety of music excluding rap. Just depends on my mood. Lately I am on a Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, Love and Death, Volbeat, and Red kick.