Home Cigar 101
Options

Do I need to use the humidifier that came with my humidor?

I just received my 100ct humidor from the sprint sale. I am currently seasoning it but noticed on the humidifier that came with it that there were some random brownish spots. I tried to get them off with an old toothbrush, but some are still there. I bought some gel beads earlier while I was keeping my first purchase in a cooler and was wondering if I could just use these once my humidor is seasoned instead of the one that came with? Or do I need to use the beads and the free one? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think that wouldnt be a problem. i just switched to the beads myself and find them to be reaal good.hold a steady 70 in my humidor.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I use boveda packets. boveda.com
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    What he said. Boveda packs are a no-brainer and they hardly take up any space.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beads are a one time purchase. other than that its add distilled water. also i like the Xikar humidity gel jars.
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I switched to some 70% beads right after I finished seasoning. They seem to work a whole lot better imo.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    NO

You do not need to use the humidifier that came with the humidor. They are usually junk and attract mold. (I am sure I will get blasted for that). Use beads, Boveda, or gel as suggested and enjoy.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pull the guts out of the humidifier and put beads in them. You just don't want to hang them upside down, I would think. They might not drip, but I ain't brave enough to find out. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah get rid of that foam quick. Just pry it open and put in beads or gel works great. Gel will expand though so be careful if you put to much gel in it will bust open. Found this out the hard way.
  • Options
    cpulidocpulido Posts: 8
    So you guys are saying to take the blue gel/beads that I have in the clear jar right now (from ccom) and put it in the humidifier where the green foam was??
  • Options
    cpulido:
    So you guys are saying to take the blue gel/beads that I have in the clear jar right now (from ccom) and put it in the humidifier where the green foam was??
    Yeah. Most humidifiers, you can carefully pry them open and pop the foam out. Fill with beads, snap it back together and put your distilled in and go.
    If it has a snap together top, I'd recommend soaking the beads to get to full size before putting them in the humidifier because, as previously stated, they can expand and break it, if you put too much in, then put the distilled in.

Some humidifiers are glued, so you may have to be a little careful popping them open and my have to put a couple spots of glue on them. Use a glue that is water resistant, low odor and will hold. Let it air dry for a couple days, so there will be no smell and make sure you are careful to use only what is needed to hold the humidifier together.

But there is nothing wrong with a jar for the beads either. Just an option, if you prefer to use the humidifier.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    I use boveda packets. boveda.com
    cigar.com carries the boveda packets,, I recommend the 65% contact a rep with your next order..the gel crystals and the beads are two different things i tried usin the gel crystals (which expand) inside the stock humidifier,, didnt really work for me the way I liked,, I think the gel works better in a small jar like a baby food jar soaked with distilled water...havent ever tried beads,, so no advice there,,Now I use the boveda
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    I really can't add to this, there already had been some great advice given
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    0patience:
    I pull the guts out of the humidifier and put beads in them. You just don't want to hang them upside down, I would think. They might not drip, but I ain't brave enough to find out. LOL!
    hahaha, Just to ease your mind, they do not drip if hung upside down. Granted I don't soak them but a usual recharge won't drip at all.
  • Options
    *Petey*:
    0patience:
    hahaha, Just to ease your mind, they do not drip if hung upside down. Granted I don't soak them but a usual recharge won't drip at all.
    LOL! Good to know.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: