Home General Discussion
Options

Wedding Cigars

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
Not the typical "What would you buy for groomsmen that don't smoke" thread, I can cover that...

But at my wedding next year September I will have an "OPEN HUMIDOR" for all guests to partake in.
The wedding is at a Golf Course and the whole front is floor to ceiling windows with a patio for smoking with tables and chairs. So if you want to smoke you don't feel left out of the party

MY question is what quantity would you guys buy to make sure everyone can partake, but that a crap ton aren't left over?

Here's my take and let me know what you'd do or any suggestions
I will have 200-300 guests. I'm assuming that with Aunts, Uncles and such not many people will smoke maybe 1/3rd, but I would also like to be the guy that will hand them out at the end of the night to take home for those that DO smoke, but don't want to spend an hour outside away from the free booze that night. I'm thinking of buying a CRAP ton of Seconds, either AJ or Perdomo or something that will be cheaper, but taste super awesome but still accommodate the novice smoker that wants to join in the fun.

So what count? 100, or 150? I want to say 100 will be MORE than enough, but I don't want to run out and I'm the type of person that even if a few buddies take more than their fair share, if I have enough to give then I don't care for they will always remember the wedding, or keep it for my next anniversary

Thoughts? Anyone do anything similar?

Comments

• Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    This is such a great thought and idea. I think 100-150 sticks should be more than plenty. The perdomo seconds are pretty good, I haven't tried any of the AJ seconds, I'm just not a big fan of his, but I'm after the thread I started about AJ cigars I'm trying to give his stuff another shot. I'm not sure what you want to spend per box but LADC robustos can be found pretty cheap. Also Dustin (catfish) was telling me about some davidoff seconds that he found. No matter what you decide on its definitely going to be a memory you will never forget. Again, very cool idea!!
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Hey lassie I'd say that 100-150 would be ideal as well ..... At my wedding my ex got me a cigar roller who rolled 150 ..... They told us the groom would always end up taking home 50-75 sticks .... We had 285 guests and they literally handed out all 150 cigars and then rolled I think about 12 more or so and gave them to me . If you have not tried Private Stock it's all long fillers from Davidoff they are so delicious, I'd also consider looking for deals on the Gran Habano's maybe the vintage 2002 or the 3 sls all can be reasonably had.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    Hey lassie I'd say that 100-150 would be ideal as well ..... At my wedding my ex got me a cigar roller who rolled 150 ..... They told us the groom would always end up taking home 50-75 sticks .... We had 285 guests and they literally handed out all 150 cigars and then rolled I think about 12 more or so and gave them to me .
    This was going to be my suggestion, as well... It provides an additional level to the experience, as people get to see what's going on. I've found that draws more people into enjoying a smoke, and also potentially a chance for a range of sizes so as to appeal to more people. Aside from that, congratulations on your upcoming wedding bro!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I would go with opus x or padron reserves......
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    This is such a great thought and idea. I think 100-150 sticks should be more than plenty. The perdomo seconds are pretty good, I haven't tried any of the AJ seconds, I'm just not a big fan of his, but I'm after the thread I started about AJ cigars I'm trying to give his stuff another shot. I'm not sure what you want to spend per box but LADC robustos can be found pretty cheap. Also Dustin (catfish) was telling me about some davidoff seconds that he found. No matter what you decide on its definitely going to be a memory you will never forget. Again, very cool idea!!
    If you haven't already I would try the mow pa in both wrappers and if you hate both you probably will never like aj's blends.
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Gaetano7890:
    Smokindaddy:
    If you haven't already I would try the mow pa in both wrappers and if you hate both you probably will never like aj's blends.
    I've had one, can't remember what wrapper it was, I know it kicked my a$$ though lol
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    If you're looking into 2nds, it's hard to go wrong with the Perdomo ESV 91 2nds. Great flavor profile, medium bodied. Tasty treat for seasoned smokers and the occasional smoker as well.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    So you think you'll have time to smoke a cigar on your wedding day? ROFLMAO.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Whys everyone say that? I had 3 on my wedding day
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hhhhhmmmmm I might get slammed for this one but I might go with fonseca arana coronas. They are cheap and mild so for the people that don't really smoke they will not over power them like say Aj's sticks. Perdomos are always a good budget stick but I find them almost as peppery as some of Aj's stuff. When I think of a noob montecristo always comes to mind but that's pretty pricey. But anything I've learned over the years says noobs go by name for the most part
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    lcpleel:
    beatnic:
    Whys everyone say that? I had 3 on my wedding day

I got 2 in on mine.
  • Options
    Buy a ton of overruns or seconds, then make custom bands for them with the wedding date or your names or whatever. It'll be cheaper and more personalized. The downside is the work for you, but it would be pretty neat.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    How much are you planning to spend on these sticks?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    buy 200 OpusX no4 and send me the overruns. problem solved.

but seriously, 150 is a good number. especially if you like the cigar and you have no problem keeping the left overs.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

but seriously, 150 is a good number. especially if you like the cigar and you have no problem keeping the left overs.
    The ffox no.4 is a good idea. Just grab 5 boxes and your done.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    oilburner:
    Buy a ton of overruns or seconds, then make custom bands for them with the wedding date or your names or whatever. It'll be cheaper and more personalized. The downside is the work for you, but it would be pretty neat.
    I agree with this ^, you can get custom labels online too.
  • Options
    Cazzie13Cazzie13 Posts: 48
    I would agree with the suggestion of a cigar roller. I have been to a few weddings and it seems they are e hit of the party. Always people at the table and they put on a show. Most people will never see a cigar roller in action. Added bonus a friend of mine just received a box from his roller for his one year anniversary that the roller rolled on his wedding night. Not sure they all do this, but even his wife smoked one with him when they came. Just my .02 and congratulations.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest having an infused cigar there as well. At my wedding we had both, infused and non infused and even "non-smokers" were lighting up. Sounds like cost isn't that big of a deal, but it was for us so we went with an infused stick called Trader Jacks. Everyone that smoked them loved them!!!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time I saw a cigar roller up close was on Saturday. It was fun to watch the process plus, she was hot!! I wouldn't know how much that would cost, but a custom band would be very special. Congrats on your wedding.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Have a litle plastic ball and chain wrapped around the wrapper ... as long as your wife to be has a good sense of humor . Now , how many cans of Miller Lite Lassie ... I know you've thought about it !!!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I say have two tiers; the 100 or so that you offer to general guests, maybe set up on a table, and another tier for very close friends/family with the really premium stuff/your personal humidor that you hand out yourself
  • Options
    JDH:
    How much are you planning to spend on these sticks?
    Cost isn't a total issue if I can buy a good amount... but I'm going to start at around $3-500 (i.e. if I can find 200 San Lotanos for $500 I'd spend it, but if I can't find any good sticks for that price I'd spend $300 on seconds etc.)
  • Options
    kuzi16:

I'm not one for bombs and passes as you all have seen in my many years on here (Kuz, you and Maddy are the ONLY people I've actually BOMBED, and I've done about two other trades (one with Laker))

But I MAY be tempted to do a killer shlt pass with my wedding....
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Have a litle plastic ball and chain wrapped around the wrapper ... as long as your wife to be has a good sense of humor . Now , how many cans of Miller Lite Lassie ... I know you've thought about it !!!
    HA! I already have ASSURED that we have unlimited beer and wine at the reception... and Miller Lite is the beer of choice!
  • Options
    I also LOVE the idea of personal bands.... now THAT could be awesome and a true cool cigar gift!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two years ago I catered my sister's wedding with 100 cigars. I set up a humi about a month in advanced just for her wedding. I brought the humi, lighters, cutters ashtrays the whole nine. No yard gars but no super premiums either. She had about 200-250 guests. By the end of the night, I was left with about 20 sticks. The thing that got to me was that more than half of the cigars were wasted. I saw full sticks that were bearly lit tossed in the ashtray. People wanted to try a cigar for the first time, did, then realized it not their cup of tea so.........in the ashtray it goes. I saw one guy who had a lit stick in his mouth with the cedar sleeve still on it. (my sister had a photo booth and in her album there are pics of this guy trying to look GQ with a cedar sleeved cigar in his mouth lol). I tried to babysit the humi as much as I could but it was difficult due to the fact that I was a groomsman.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Two years ago I catered my sister's wedding with 100 cigars. I set up a humi about a month in advanced just for her wedding. I brought the humi, lighters, cutters ashtrays the whole nine. No yard gars but no super premiums either. She had about 200-250 guests. By the end of the night, I was left with about 20 sticks. The thing that got to me was that more than half of the cigars were wasted. I saw full sticks that were bearly lit tossed in the ashtray. People wanted to try a cigar for the first time, did, then realized it not their cup of tea so.........in the ashtray it goes. I saw one guy who had a lit stick in his mouth with the cedar sleeve still on it. (my sister had a photo booth and in her album there are pics of this guy trying to look GQ with a cedar sleeved cigar in his mouth lol). I tried to babysit the humi as much as I could but it was difficult due to the fact that I was a groomsman.
    I have already made peace with this. Not many people in my family smoke cigars and I would love for someone in my family to TRY one and love it and then continue to smoke later with me, but I know that there will be lots that will die in my honor
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    That's just great!! Wonder how the cedar sleeve tasted??
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Lots of subtle woody notes.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Lots of subtle woody notes.
    LOLOL. I still tease my sister about that guy.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR