Home Cigar 101
Options

Was gifted a humi that....

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Had 4 sticks pushed up against a puck and had mold on the foot of them. I took all effected sticks out, wiped the entire thing down, took the crappy green thing in the puck and put beads in it. Do I need to worry about future mold? There was no mold as far as I could see on the wood

Comments

• Options
    Vision:
    So everything is contaminated basically....fk it's a nice humi, so much nicer than my cooler
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth I would just keep a eye out in high temps and keep all the sticks in the cellos!! Plust throw away the puck and get a different device. Mold is a mix of high humidity and temp, so lower humidity and keep in a cool place!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Now, I will preface this with I have never dealt with humidor mold...but I have cleaned up mold in other areas, and basically, once it is there, nothing short of repeated applications of bleach or other industrial cleaners will make it go away forever, especially if it has moisture to feed off of. So, you could do that, but would you ever want to smoke anything that came out of that box?
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'd say it's worth drying it out for a while, then re-seasoning it and putting the beads and some non-rare/expensive cigars in and see what happens.
  • Options
    I'm gonna leave the sticks that were in it already and see what happens...if it molds I will toss it or give it back to dude
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Now, I will preface this with I have never dealt with humidor mold...but I have cleaned up mold in other areas, and basically, once it is there, nothing short of repeated applications of bleach or other industrial cleaners will make it go away forever, especially if it has moisture to feed off of. So, you could do that, but would you ever want to smoke anything that came out of that box?

Here are a couple other bits of info:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5538302_peroxide-kill-mold.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5551974_use-peroxide-kill-mold.html

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    jthanatos:

Here are a couple other bits of info:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5538302_peroxide-kill-mold.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5551974_use-peroxide-kill-mold.html

Interesting, will have to try that if I run into mold issues again. I always assumed that peroxide based cleaners would just exacerbate the situation as it would add to the moisture in the long run. There may be hope for the humi yet....though I would still be leery, cause I am a nervous nelly about mold and the like.
  • Options
    A weekish in after rubbing it down with alc. And everything is looking ok sO far rock hard 69% humdity, temp 68-71, checking everything for mold or any issues every couple days an all looks ok so far *crossing fingers*
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    You can use bleach if you want. Give it a proper rinse and the chlorine will evaporate if you leave the cover open. The alcohol like you chose should work also.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Keep the humidity 65 or less and temp under 75 and you will be fine. Don't listen to throw it out advice. You think people scrap a cabinet because an owner ten years ago had a mold instance? If the conditions I describe are held you will likely not have an outbreak. Anyone who has a white or fluffy stuff mold outbreak and wants to scrap a cabinet post here, I WILL take it off your hands. Don't listen to anyone who says its all over. Blue mold doesn't apply, as that's no no mold. But people are nutso over simple high humidity fluff mold. Again ill take all of those horrible scrapped because of mold cabinet humis the cigar community is going to toss in the fire pit anyways, and I'll pick it up myself if you don't want it anymore.. The amount of people sending me humis and cabinets will show you can relax and trust that humi. High humidity is mold breeding ground. I had it happen before I learned about beads, and after whiping down, drying and reseasoning my cabinet after 5 years in the proper settings my stash is smoking like heaven and not one second instance of fluffy white mold. Mold spores are pretty much everywhere.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    blurr:
    Mold spores are pretty much everywhere.
    That is pretty much the key right there.
  • Options
    Roberto99:
    blurr:
    Mold spores are pretty much everywhere.
    That is pretty much the key right there.
    This is true, my concern has dropped to almost none. Mainly because the mold was only on the few sticks that were against the puck.