Home Cigar 101
Options

Mold in humidity beads?

insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
I noticed some of my beads turning black inside my small humidor. I removed the beads and have placed my cigars in tupperware. None of the cigars show signs of mold. I am currently seasoning a new humidor and am worried about putting cigars that might be contaminated in the new box and having the same issue. Does anyone have an experience with this? Suggestions, step by step how to save my day from being super ****** up?

Thanks,
David

Comments

• Options
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid? I have read a few things stating that if a cigar gets to close to the beads the oils may leak into them and turn them dark. I did have a few ends pretty close (almost pressed up on the puck) because my small humi is a bit over stuffed. Hence the new one being seasoned as we speak. Still awaiting some input.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Haven't seen mold on beads yet...on just about everything else, but not beads. Can you post a pic?
  • Options
    I can try at some point tomorrow. I'm off to bed for the night. They are inside one of the xikar pucks, and it's only a few of them. So getting a picture without breaking it open might prove to be difficult.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Better off safe then sorry!! I'd replace them and go boveda! As for the sticks just keep a eye on them and make sure they are ok. I'd isolate for at least a week in a cool place and make sure your rh is not high!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    insomnniapb:
    I can try at some point tomorrow. I'm off to bed for the night. They are inside one of the xikar pucks, and it's only a few of them. So getting a picture without breaking it open might prove to be difficult.
    Just a question. Have you recharged those beads ? If you did, did you use distilled water? It may be the impurities in the tap water causing the problems if you did use tap water. Just a thought.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing but boveda paks for me since i found one like that years ago
  • Options
    I use nothing but pg and distilled water for anything involving my cigars. So that theory is probably not correct. I will be opening the puck in a few minutes to see if I can find the dark ones in there and take a picture.
  • Options
    Here is a picture. I'm not sure what you will be able to see on it. From what I can see there is no fuzz or anything that would distinguish it as mold, but also nothing to suggest it's something else. It looks like it is part of the crystals, not growing on the outside. I'm thinking I may put one piece that is black in a plastic bag with the remainder of the clear ones and see if it spreads if I put it in a closet or something. Suggestions or comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    That happen to one of my jars too and I got the B paks and they work for me . Just check your cigars and make sure nothing is on them.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    With crystals, like the ones pictured, most manufacturers recommend using pg solution to avoid mold. With beads (Heartfelt, Conservagel, etc) you just use distilled water, and they never mold. One of the many reasons I have not looked back since switching to beads.

The crystals aren't bad, but they are certainly not as fool proof as beads. I'd recommend tossing the moldy ones at the very least and grab some pg solution. But honestly, beads or Boveda packa are the only real solution I suggest.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Contact the guys at Heartfelt. They'll know what's up with your beads.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    OOPS! Those aren't silica beads. Nevermind.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Not beads.... thats gel....PG not needed (at least with mine, just distilled water). YES I had the same thing..... I took out the ones with black spots and they havent come back yet (month ago or more)
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jadelt:
    Not beads.... thats gel....PG not needed (at least with mine, just distilled water). YES I had the same thing..... I took out the ones with black spots and they havent come back yet (month ago or more)
    Yup. I too was under the impression that these were beads not GEL. The first post mentioned beads. I don't do GEL I never used it. The beads are the way to go and use only Distilled water in them for sure. Don't know what that is but it looks funky and I wouldn't want my sticks anywhere near it. The beads are pretty cheap and last for years;)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have seen mold on beads. i had a hand full of beads i was not using. i charged them but pulled them out shortly after. 100% of them were in a sealed tupperware in the sun. a few black spots started to form.
    if used correctly beads will not mold. if "used" like used them then they will mold.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys, I have been looking into the issue a bit. I don't think it was mold. If it was it was isolated and nothing else seems to be effected. I also put some "infected" gel in with some clean gel and place them in a dark damp isolated area. Nothing is spreading in them. Sorry for the error in the title. I did not realize there was a difference in the gel and bead (or what was in the xikar puck) till I cracked it open.

Thanks again for the help,
    David