Home Cigar 101

will I need to age fresh rolled?

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been gifted several AJ Fresh Rolled Habano coronas. Each has been absolute aces. Loads of flavor and no bite. If I buy a bundle of these, do I need to age them to make the new supply as good as the old? If so, how long? I'd like to score a bundle and give them away. Should I salt them away first before mailing?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I've been gifted several AJ Fresh Rolled Habano coronas. Each has been absolute aces. Loads of flavor and no bite. If I buy a bundle of these, do I need to age them to make the new supply as good as the old? If so, how long? I'd like to score a bundle and give them away. Should I salt them away first before mailing?

This is just my opinion.
    But if you are gifting them, send them when you want. Let who ever is getting them know that they are a new supply and may need some aging.
    But I would definitely squirrel some away for aging. Especially if you plan on herfing with them. Not that they'll be bad to herf with, just better with some aging.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had some aging for a whlie now and every time I pull one out to smoke they just keep getting better with age.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO 99% of Aj's stuff needs to rest!! So I would at least rest them but doesn't mean you need to age them. But all in all no you don't it's all comes down to preference. The name fresh rolled does not mean you need to age them at all
    Money can't buy taste
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    IMO 99% of Aj's stuff needs to rest!! So I would at least rest them but doesn't mean you need to age them. But all in all no you don't it's all comes down to preference. The name fresh rolled does not mean you need to age them at all
    x100 with AJ blends... My experience is they need a month or two and then they start improving. I'm a fan
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in general, fresh rolled cigars need to be smoked with in a week of hitting the table or after 8 months to let the ammonia dissipate. as far as AJs stuff goes... i age it all except for the MoW Virtue.

the way AJ uses spice is a bit much for me. i like less than that. after a year or more some of that is gone and they are damn fine smokes.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    in general, fresh rolled cigars need to be smoked with in a week of hitting the table or after 8 months to let the ammonia dissipate.

A week seems a bit short. I recently had some Johnny-Os that were just under a month old and they were fantastic. A friend had one about two weeks later and he said it was just starting to go downhill. I'd say between two weeks and a month, depending on a few factors.
    Rob1110:
    kuzi16:
    in general, fresh rolled cigars need to be smoked with in a week of hitting the table or after 8 months to let the ammonia dissipate.

A week seems a bit short. I recently had some Johnny-Os that were just under a month old and they were fantastic. A friend had one about two weeks later and he said it was just starting to go downhill. I'd say between two weeks and a month, depending on a few factors.
    depending on a few factors is the key phrase
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    in general, fresh rolled cigars need to be smoked with in a week of hitting the table or after 8 months to let the ammonia dissipate. as far as AJs stuff goes... i age it all except for the MoW Virtue.

the way AJ uses spice is a bit much for me. i like less than that. after a year or more some of that is gone and they are damn fine smokes.
    So, Kuzi, you're saying that if I roll my own today I ought to either smoke it by the weekend or let it rest until next Spring? I like that idea. Gives me a chance to test one or two immediately then let the rest age to perfection.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    kuzi16:

So, Kuzi, you're saying that if I roll my own today I ought to either smoke it by the weekend or let it rest until next Spring? I like that idea. Gives me a chance to test one or two immediately then let the rest age to perfection.

its about restarting the fermentation process.
    when kept at the RH we keep out humidors at the fermentation process is so slow that it is almost non existent. its still there to the degree that the oils are breaking down over time (what we call aging your cigars) but when the temp and moisture levels get higher the fermentation process speeds up.

when you are rolling a cigar the leaves themselves have been fermented and aged to the degree that you want them to be. then you bunch them, add a wet binder and add a wet wrapper. this dampness starts fermentation again.

of course fermentation is not instant. that is why you have a week or so to try em out and then you need to let them sit for 6-8 months before they are good again. in that middle time you will have an ammonia smell and taste to it.
    if you ever have the opportunity to get into an aging room at a cigar factory you can get a wiff of it.

some are not as bad as others.
    for example:
    AJ fresh rolled seem to be decent even though most have smoked them in that 6-8 month time period. however, when i smoked a Cain Daytona 4 weeks from the roll, i was very disappointed.

and on a related note...
    Padron does not have an aging room. In the Cuban tradition they roll, pack em up and ship em off. this is one of the reasons why many people say a Padron cigar or a Cuban cigar ages well.