Home Pipes
Options

What do you use for a tamper?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ @Yakster At first I thought they were too heavy, but seem OK after a few uses, glad you like^^

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have received a few pipes with really cool tampers but always forget them. I need the lighter and it has one built in so that remains my go to.

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jsnake said:
    I have received a few pipes with really cool tampers but always forget them. I need the lighter and it has one built in so that remains my go to.

The lighter itself has a tamper built in?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some do, like this one which has several pipe tools built in. I also have an old pipe lighter that had just the tamper that would swing out, but the lighter died.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GaryThompson said:

@jsnake said:

Yes sir. The Xikar Resource II is a wind proof soft flame with built in tools. That way I don't have to carry more stuff I might forget or lose. I also found a vintage new in box Nimrod pipe lighter. It doesn't have tools built in but I have always found those to be cool. Haven't used it and though about selling it because I really like my Xikar.

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jsnake said:

@GaryThompson said:

@jsnake said:

Yes sir. The Xikar Resource II is a wind proof soft flame with built in tools. That way I don't have to carry more stuff I might forget or lose. I also found a vintage new in box Nimrod pipe lighter. It doesn't have tools built in but I have always found those to be cool. Haven't used it and though about selling it because I really like my Xikar.

That’s pretty cool having the “Swiss knife” of lighters! Had no idea they came loaded with attachments like that.

Honestly, I had to Google the Nimrod pipe lighter. Friggin’ awesome! What a cool gadget! Good luck with the sale, I’m sure it will go quick and get a good $$$.
    I need to bite the bullet and buy a couple Cobs...otherwise, I would try and relieve you of it 😁

• Options

I've been getting annoyed when I use my tamper and the ash sticks to the face of the metal base and then makes a mess. I either wipe it with my finger or a paper towel, but then today I thought why don't I just spin the tamper against the tobacco and ash in the bowl after I've used it and wipe it off before I pull it out. This is something I do when tamping coffee for espresso--polishing the puck--and it seems to work pretty well so far the first time I tried it today.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tail wheel bearing bonded to a powder coated rod courtesy of Katie. The lighter is a 10 buck refillable throwaway...

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

My finger, my fingers are already blackened and relatively insensitive to heat from polishing silver all day.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    My finger, my fingers are already blackened and relatively insensitive to heat from polishing silver all day.

Well now I just feel like a sissy. I think we should change your name to Studly Studmuffin.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Yeah, I think I've got the wrong mental picture in my head for Edward, re-adjusting my impressions of @silvermouse

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm mean and evil; either an alien or alienated, can't figure out which.

• Options

You're silver and strong.